Khal Drogo vs Edmure Tully in full plate armor

the storm king returns

Fair enough.

But when Edmure decides to strike, Drogo will catch Edmure's wrist and twist the sword from his arm. Then he will remove Edmure's helmet. Then he'll smash his fucking head, like this!

I could list a dozen fantasy scenarios where Hot Pie wins against Drogo, too. Doesn't make it any more legitimate.

Well, give Hot Pie six months combat training and he'd probably manage.

Yes, armor is just that big an advantage.

drogo literally has dozen's of year's of real warfare and Combat training under his belt.

and drogo is not unused to fighting people in armor.

not to mention that fact that at six month's of training, you would really only know enough not to stab your self in the eye with your own sword.

I could list a dozen fantasy scenarios where Hot Pie wins against Drogo, too. Doesn't make it any more legitimate.

"I baked this horsemeat danish for you Mr. Drogo."

What he'll never know is that the meat is off! He'll die of food poisoning and dysentery. Hot Pie wins again.

Even how skilled you are, it will be almost impossible to go so close to the longsword without being hit.

there something called the parry. drogo knock's the sword away with his weapon. get's in close. and stick's his dagger in edmure eye socket.

boom he won the fight.

Armor is awesome and everything, especially in a chaotic battle, where blows can come in from any direction. But in a duel, all Drogo would have to do is trip Edmure (kick the supporting leg, when he is off balance, something like that), before getting hit (and no matter if and how well his opponents are armored in Essos, with his record, he has to be damn good at not getting hit himself), and it is over. A monster like him would have no problem keeping Edmure pinned down, and find a slit or gap to put a blade through.

Of course you would have to be strong and skilled and quick to this, which Drogo is, and it might be very hard against a very skilled duelist, who always watches out that he is never off balance, which Edmure is most likely not, so...

And just for the record, I am not saying armor is not advantageous in a duel. I am just pointing out, that Drogo would not have to hit a tiny gap, while both are moving around and swinging blades at each other, if he has at least a friction of battle instinct.

t's not about it being heavy (it has to be light enough to march in). it's about it being unwieldy.

1.) it block some of your vision, a plate helmet Rob's a person of his peripheral vision.

2.) you cant jump out of the way of attack as well as you normally would. as a knight would primarily relies on his shield to stop attack's

(the op never said edmure get's a shield.)

3.) knight begin training as a squire at around 12. drogo was being trained for war at a far younger age, and thus has league's of more experience on edmure.

the mountain had practical unstoppable defense and Oberyn made him look like a bitch.

skill,speed and experience> better armor.

1. Armor is not unwieldy

2. Your opponent will be in front of you so peripheral vision won't matter.

3. Knights in full plate don't use shields

4. Knights begin training far earlier than twelve, even in the books we see Bran (who is 7 at the start of GOT) practice with Tommen.

This may be the silliest proposed fight ever. RIP Drogo, Edmure may escape death for a good many chapters, but I cannot recall reading anything that SuppOrts the fish lord has any prowess as a warrior. The blackfish on the other hand is bad@$$...

In some other realm if these two characters were to meet in single combat it honestly could go either way... Its GRRM he prob would flip a coin.

Not really, Drogo is not superhumanly fast, a person can turn faster than someone can run around you.

Not run around, no, but he might be able to dodge and sneak his way around Edmure, close to Edmure's body, avoiding his sword.

And Edmure is just a farmer boy?

We don't know about his skills, but he was a lord paramount oldest son. So we can assume he would have been given the best training available.

Funny you tell about Barristan bec he also tell anything can happened in a battle, even the greatest knight can slip, make mistakes etc. Edmure could afford to make many mistakes and Drogo could not make even one minor then he would be dead meat.

Edmure is most likely an able fighter, trained in a major discipline, but Drogo is the scourge of the gods.

Drogo sacrifices armor for speed, and has been avoiding arrakhs wielded by similarly fast, armorless men for decades. There's no way that Edmure touches him.

It's also worth noting that Edmure, while most likely trained in war, is privileged and soft, like most other very highborn nobles. He was born into it. Drogo grew up fighting for whatever he could get, and had to earn his distinction as Khal.

Drogo is a hard, fierce, severe man, forged upon the great expanse of the Dothraki Sea. Edmure is a soft, oafish, privileged noble who has never been hungry, or hunted, or frightened before.

Drogo would eat him alive.

and drogo is not unused to fighting people in armor.

Not a single hint that the Dothraki in general fought anybody in armor since Quohor 300 years ago. Indeed, there are numerous mentions that every force who could actually field armored soldiers pays the Dothraki off.

not to mention that fact that at six month's of training, you would really only know enough not to stab your self in the eye with your own sword.

Which basically is good enough.

Armor is awesome and everything, especially in a chaotic battle, where blows can come in from any direction. But in a duel, all Drogo would have to do is trip Edmure (kick the supporting leg, when he is off balance, something like that), before getting hit (and no matter if and how well his opponents are armored in Essos, with his record, he has to be damn good at not getting hit himself), and it is over. A monster like him would have no problem keeping Edmure pinned down, and find a slit or gap to put a blade through.

Of course you would have to be strong and skilled and quick to this, which Drogo is, and it might be very hard against a very skilled duelist, who always watches out that he is never off balance, which Edmure is most likely not, so...

And just for the record, I am not saying armor is not advantageous in a duel. I am just pointing out, that Drogo would not have to hit a tiny gap, while both are moving around and swinging blades at each other, if he has at least a friction of battle instinct.

Of course Drogo would have to manage that kick right inside Edmure's reach without getting his leg cut off and then wrestle him without Edmure punching some metal into him or drawing the blade across any part of Drogo.

"All he would have to do" is the wrong expression.

Drogo sacrifices armor for speed, and has been avoiding arrakhs wielded by similarly fast, armorless men for decades. There's no way that Edmure touches him.

Of course Drogo's opponents actually had to prevent him from hitting them with his arakh, completely changing their priorities. Edmure has about 10000% more options.

I think Drogo takes this hands down, however, in a fight small things can make a difference. Drogo could slip, or something random. Drogo size and speed should win though, I think Drogo puts Edmure on his back, and then it's over. I realize that Edmure will be very protected in armor, but he will be slow and probably will tire quickly.

Now Drogo vs either Clegane brothers, or vs 2 handed Jamie. Could be a different story.

Much better fight in my opinion.

Archived