How did Walder Frey know about Jon's fostering plan?

Floki of the Ironborn

Catelyn talks with Walder in AGOT and Walder complains about how Jon chose Stannis to foster his son. How would Walder know that when it doesn't seem to have been public knowledge at all?

People are split down the middle on whether Jon was going to send Robert to Casterly Rock or Dragonstone. He doesn't seem to have been very open about this decision, especially because it's part of his secret investigations with Stannis. Cersei had to find out independently and then plot another idea just to counter Jon.

I can buy Walder's being rejected by Jon Arryn, but the idea that Walder would be privy to Jon's dealings with Stannis and Lysa seems a bit odd.

If Walder offered, the best way for Jon Aryn to refuse would be to say he was already planning on sending him to Stannis. Also, its entirely plausible that Walder pays for info from court, he is rather rich and ambitious afterall.

Lol, actually that would explain the Sweetrobin fostering discrepancy.

What? Foster my son to Walder Frey? Well that would be almost as bad as sending him to Stannis. That's it, I'll say that. :P

If it's common knowledge, why do so many people have conflicted ideas on what Jon planned?

Have you ever played the telephone game? Facts gets twisted and distorted as rumors spread. After Robert's death, there were a ton of inaccurate rumors floating around: that Ned tried to take the throne, that Renly had murdered him, that someone else had died, that whoever else plotted treason, etc. Its not unreasonable to think the same thing occurred regarding the fostering of Sweetrobin.

Archived