Questions about Doran?

walkingWITHcersei

I noticed something odd. We all know Quentyn was sent to the Yronwoods to be a ward bc of Oberyn killing Lord Yronwood in a duel. However Quentyn wasn't born for 8 years after the duel and wasn't sent away for at least 15 years after the incident. Why so long? Why not Arrianne who was born only 3 years after the incident? I realize you might not want to send ur heir away but if the incident was so politically necessary why not send her?

This isn't the only oddity in the timeline. Supposedly Mellario left bc she couldn't stand being away from her children. Doran even breaks off sending Arrianne to Tyrosh to sate his wife. So why does Mellario, who can't stand the thought of being separated from her children, return to Norvos AFTER Doran gave in and did not foster Arrianne in Tyrosh? She was grief stricken at the thought of losing a child so in response to not losing said child she moves halfway across the world abandoning all three children?

I have a half formed idea of a theory as to why. So some believe, myself included, that the two players mentioned in the Varys-Illyrio dungeon scene are Illyrio and Doran. We know for a fact that the Tyroshi attended the Dany-Drago reception in Pentos shortly before her wedding. I believe the decision to not foster Arrianne was a result of the Archon of Tyrosh switching sides from Doran to Illyrio. It makes sense seeing how Illyrio is aligning himself with the tigers of Volantis. Tyrosh being an aggressive slave city siding with Illyrio makes more sense than siding with Doran. It's possible that this is why no aid was given to Viserys. The plan was to help him in secret in Tyrosh but anyone on Illyrio's team is ultimately backing Aegon. It's possible that Illyrio made sure no aide ever reached Viserys making it easier to use him later and manipulate whatever outcome Illyrio wishes. I just can't figure out where Quentyn being fostered by the Yronwoods fits into this? Did Anders Yronwood demand a hostage after fifteen years to weaken Doran somehow? Wouldn't a sudden demand after so many years make Doran hesitate to send Quentin away? Why did Mellario go to Norvos for real? Wasn't bc of her children like we've been told. Is she even in Norvos? Was she an agent of Illyrio's entire time? Could she be Lemore?

Love to here any thoughts on this. There's allot that doesn't make sense in Dorne???

Edit

After looking her up on asoiaf wiki there's no age given only that she's younger that's Doran. There was a long comment from GRRM that boiled down to her main problems being the Westeros tradition of fostering children. Again she left after Arriannes fostering was cancelled. She left two children at home, one very young, and Quentyn who was close enough to visit easily. Something isn't right here?

I think she was just miserable in her marriage and he couldn’t stand it anymore. And Doran had the advantage int he divorce negotiations, since he’s a prince.

As far as I can tell, Mellario and Doran simply had no business being in a relationship with each other in the first place.

I think she was just miserable in her marriage and he couldn’t stand it anymore. And Doran had the advantage int he divorce negotiations, since he’s a prince.

As far as I can tell, Mellario and Doran simply had no business being in a relationship with each other in the first place.

Maybe but if u look at her entry in the wiki there's a rather long quote from GRRM that specifically offers the issue of fostering as the reason their marriage failed. In fact no other reason is given, and that still fails to explain why Quentyn was fostered fifteen years after the duel?

Hmmm, I don't know. Lately I've been toying with an admittedly farfetched (but fun!) crackpot that Arianne was right about Anders Yronwood wanting to play kingmaker (well, more like princemaker in this case) with Quentyn. That would explain why the Yronwoods still demanded Quentyn as payment after all those years, if they were planning to use him one day as a pawn to claim Sunspear (it would also explain why Doran sent Quentyn so unprepared for his mission, because he wanted Quentyn and the Yronwoods to fail. It would also depict Doran as a cold-hearted dick, and I don't think he is one, hence why this is a crackpot)

Also, the Mellario thing puzzles and I think we're missing a piece of the puzzle, but I've no idea

Does anyone else see a parallel between Myrcella being fostered to the Martells to "ease tensions" and Quentin being sent to the Yronwoods to "ease tensions"?

Personally, I think if Doran knew of or learns of his son's death he should send Yronwood up the bone-way and attack the Marcher lords. Can't really lose. Either you raise the moral of all of Dorne, or you embarrass your regional rival.

Girls aren't "fostered." That and the secret engagement to Viserys Targaryen are why Arianne wasn't sent to the Yronwoods. And those who didn't know about the pact for Arianne to be queen, wouldn't have questioned Doran keeping his heir with him, even if it had been a boy.

Quentyn not going until 15 years later is only because he wasn't old enough before then. The Yronwoods likely had been grumbling about Oberyn ever since the duel, and Doran couldn't do anything sooner. He does have a reputation for slow-moving.

Does anyone else see a parallel between Myrcella being fostered to the Martells to "ease tensions" and Quentin being sent to the Yronwoods to "ease tensions"?

Personally, I think if Doran knew of or learns of his son's death he should send Yronwood up the bone-way and attack the Marcher lords. Can't really lose. Either you raise the moral of all of Dorne, or you embarrass your regional rival.

Myrcella was not fostered. She was betrothed to Trystane, and sent to Dorne partly to get her safely out of King's Landing, and partly (in theory) so that she could learn about Dorne before joining the most powerful family in the region. It's no different from Sansa going to King's Landing when she gets engaged to Joffrey. If Ned had turned down the job of Hand but still allowed the betrothal, Sansa still would have gone to live at court and learn to be a queen.

Perhaps she was out in Essos with the aim of subtly aiding Viserys and Dany? The fostering thing doesn't seem line the whole tale, especially given the fact that Norvos is a lot further away from them than Sunspear. Plus I think theres something fishy about why Ser Dalt was sent to Mellario. Why would she need a Knight and why would Doran send his estranged wife one?

Hmmm, I don't know. Lately I've been toying with an admittedly farfetched (but fun!) crackpot that Arianne was right about Anders Yronwood wanting to play kingmaker (well, more like princemaker in this case) with Quentyn. That would explain why the Yronwoods still demanded Quentyn as payment after all those years, if they were planning to use him one day as a pawn to claim Sunspear (it would also explain why Doran sent Quentyn so unprepared for his mission, because he wanted Quentyn and the Yronwoods to fail. It would also depict Doran as a cold-hearted dick, and I don't think he is one, hence why this is a crackpot)

I think you're onto something but...

I think Yronwood knew very well of Doran's plans. In fact, I think all of his Lords knew, or had a broad idea, of his plans. Hence, Yronwood knowing Arianne would be a Queen and Quentyn, the future Prince. There is a few hints in the Dornish chapters about how all of Doran's lords play along with him all the time (punishing A's friends, distracting Balon, having the armies ready, etc).

Perhaps she was out in Essos with the aim of subtly aiding Viserys and Dany? The fostering thing doesn't seem line the whole tale, especially given the fact that Norvos is a lot further away from them than Sunspear. Plus I think theres something fishy about why Ser Dalt was sent to Mellario. Why would she need a Knight and why would Doran send his estranged wife one?

Status. She is the wife of the Prince of Dorne. It would look bad if he didn't send someone to guard her.

Also, the Mellario thing puzzles and I think we're missing a piece of the puzzle, but I've no idea

Yep, I don't think Doran is a cold-hearted dick either, but I do prefer the version that he is. It makes the story more compelling to me. It's not just the Quentyn journey, a lot of Doran's actions make sense if he's a cold-hearted dick, while as a good guy he's a bit comical.

Still waiting for an explanation of why Quentyn was fostered fifteen years after the incident. Or why Mellario, who according to Doran and GRRM left bc of Arrianne being fostered in Tyrosh, only returned to Norvos AFTER Arriannes fostering was rescinded? The story goes that Mellario couldn't stand to be apart from her children gets Doran to break the arrangement and then leaves Arrianne & Trystane, who were living with her at the time, and goes home to Norvos? Even in asoiaf that doesn't make any sense.

Side note I personally believe Dalt betrayed Arrianne. The first scene at the water gardens Hotah thinks to himself that the Dalt boy, the younger brother, was Doran's favorite. Doran even delays the trip to Sunspear so he can say goodbye to the child. That coupled with the older brothers cushy punishment with Mellario, compared to what the others were given as punishment, it's likely that either Dalt betrayed her or little bro spilled the beans.

Archived