War and Peace (2015 TV series) - BBC/The Weinstein Company

AncalagonTheBlack

War and Peace is a British drama television series that is set to first broadcast on BBC One in 2015. The six-part adaptation of War and Peace by the Russian author Leo Tolstoy was written by Andrew Davies.

The series was announced by Danny Cohen on 18 February 2013 and was commissioned by him and Ben Stephenson, the controller of BBC Drama. The upcoming production, made by BBC Cymru Wales Drama, is partnered by The Weinstein Company, Lookout Point and BBC Worldwide. The executive producers are Faith Penhale, George Ormond, Andrew Davies, Simon Vaughan and Harvey Weinstein. The drama will consist of six 60-minute episodes for BBC One and eight 45-minute episodes for international markets. It will be directed by Tom Harper

Cast

James Norton as Prince Andrei Bolkonsky

Stephen Rea as Prince Vassily Kuragin

Ade Edmondson as Count Ilya Rostov

Greta Scacchi as Countess Natalya Rostova

Jack Lowden as Nikolai Rostov

Tom Burke as Fedor Dolokhov

Aisling Loftus as Sonya Rostova

New additions to the cast include Jim Broadbent, Gillian Anderson, Brian Cox and Ken Stott.

Also joining are Rebecca Front (Death Comes To Pemberley), Kenneth Cranham (In The Flesh), Aneurin Barnard (Cilla), Tuppence Middleton (The Imitation Game), Callum Turner (Queen And Country) and Jessie Buckley (Endeavour).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and_Peace_%282015_TV_series%29

https://deadline.com/2015/02/war-and-peace-gillian-anderson-jim-broadbent-cast-bbc-weinstein-1201380222/

sounds ideal for the BBC. Excellent cast (especiallu the later additions) although I've only seen Ade Edmonson do comedy.

I wonder when it'll drop? It seems the BBC have one big BBC period drama on at a time - Wolf Hall followed by Poldark and the australian drama "Banished" suggesting two at a time. Still waiting for Norrel and Strange to land.

EDIT: I guess there's "causal vacancy" as well in terms of "big" so there's probably no spreading out of shows of this type.

Woo. I've been been reading, among other related matters, in the Age of Revolution and Napoleón for several years now, so I feel fully enabled for watching this, whenever one gets to see it here in the U.S.

But then, that's part of the fun of the current and past Poldark -- it's in this era too.

Not to mention that one semester I taught War and Peace -- when, looking back on that, it was the greatest act of hubris ever on my part, because I didn't know anything! Which, of course, at the time, I didn't know I didn't know anything, having just started out, and thus very, very, very smart and knew everything. :bs: :) :dunce:

Archived