HBO Confirms Streaming Service in April

Westeros

"For the guys ordering this, can you tell me if it works on a PC?"

It does not, unless you connect the aplletv device to the moniter,

working well on my Apple Tv device connected to my tv and on my ipod

"For the guys ordering this, can you tell me if it works on a PC?"

It does not, unless you connect the aplletv device to the moniter,

working well on my Apple Tv device connected to my tv and on my ipod

Are you sure? I read after you are signed up, you go to the hbonow.com website via a PC and you can watch. That is just what I read online so who knows. Can anyone try it?

How is the streaming?

Can you adjust the playback quality to suit your connection?

Or is it that extreme HD that takes 1 min to load a frame.

I know many are thinking stuff like

"Are there people who can't spend 70$ to buy an apple device?"

"Are there people with slow internet connections in this world?"

Yes. 193 countries. Whose local TVs may show GoT in September! Where good internet connections cost more than food! Where apple products may cost more than a posh house's yearly rent!

That is why torrenting is extremely high. One episode will take 2 days to download in HD. But after that, you can see in peace. A streaming will never give you that.

How is the streaming?

Can you adjust the playback quality to suit your connection?

Or is it that extreme HD that takes 1 min to load a frame.

I know many are thinking stuff like

"Are there people who can't spend 70$ to buy an apple device?"

"Are there people with slow internet connections in this world?"

Yes. 193 countries. Whose local TVs may show GoT in September! Where good internet connections cost more than food! Where apple products may cost more than a posh house's yearly rent!

That is why torrenting is extremely high. One episode will take 2 days to download in HD. But after that, you can see in peace. A streaming will never give you that.

This service is US only for now anyway so most of your points are meaningless. If you live in the us and have a broadband connection I'm pretty sure you can afford this, if you really can't afford $15/mo in the US then you have deeper problems than how to watch Game of Thrones.

This service is US only for now anyway so most of your points are meaningless. If you live in the us and have a broadband connection I'm pretty sure you can afford this, if you really can't afford $15/mo in the US then you have deeper problems than how to watch Game of Thrones.

That makes HBO's big plans meaningless.

They claimed that people were torrenting around the world bcoz they didnot have access to episodes in good quality at the time of airing.

If it is just for the US. They will still miss out the millions they could have earned from other countries.

(Btw I do not know how much an average person earns in the US. So no comments on the 15$)

That makes HBO's big plans meaningless.

They claimed that people were torrenting around the world bcoz they didnot have access to episodes in good quality at the time of airing.

If it is just for the US. They will still miss out the millions they could have earned from other countries.

(Btw I do not know how much an average person earns in the US. So no comments on the 15$)

They aren't legally allowed to make it worldwide as each country has a separate distribution agreement. They did make this season simulcast so if you really want to watch it 'as soon as possible' they will simulcast at whatever time corresponds to 9PM EST. Each country will need to determine themselves if they will go along with the simulcast and what plans they have to make a streaming service there. The global economy is pretty complicated and it makes stuff like this a nightmare. Still miles better than it used to be, technology is advancing and allowing more freedom in this regard but laws and legal agreements vary country to country and cause all sorts of issues.

They aren't legally allowed to make it worldwide as each country has a separate distribution agreement. They did make this season simulcast so if you really want to watch it 'as soon as possible' they will simulcast at whatever time corresponds to 9PM EST. Each country will need to determine themselves if they will go along with the simulcast and what plans they have to make a streaming service there. The global economy is pretty complicated and it makes stuff like this a nightmare. Still miles better than it used to be, technology is advancing and allowing more freedom in this regard but laws and legal agreements vary country to country and cause all sorts of issues.

I think what you mentioned happens when they sell GoT to other broadcasters in various countries.

Many countries have HBO itself on their TVs, yet GoT will show a few months late or never at all.

Would a person choose a slow and probably paid proxy service to stream or would he rather download a torrent?

I always imagined they would do something like push unintrusive adds into videos and themselves seed it apart from the streaming. A dumb dream :)

Any idea if shows stream live or, if not, how long they'll take to populate for watching?

If its like HBO Go, the show pops up as available for watching right at the start time for the TV show so 9PM EST for Game of Thrones for example. They don't technically live stream the channels, not that I've seen anywhere.

But I can watch the show at the same time as others, essentially? Awesome.

Yup, I used HBO go last year to watch and it was up right around the air time. Sometimes lagged a few minutes and I kept refreshing till it popped ;) I'm sure its a minute or two behind since I would monitor twitter for example and see the explosion of tweets when something happened and I wouldn't get the scene for a few minutes, but essentially its the 'same' time ;)

"Yup, I used HBO go last year to watch and it was up right around the air time. Sometimes lagged a few minutes and I kept refreshing till it popped ;) I'm sure its a minute or two behind since I would monitor twitter for example and see the explosion of tweets when something happened and I wouldn't get the scene for a few minutes, but essentially its the 'same' time ;)"

HBONOW is basicly HBOGO with just an internet subscription, so best bet is to start about 5 minutes after it starts on regular HBO, should cut down on the lag.

Why is HBOGO and release time so US centric? GoTs is filmed globally, with a fairly global cast.

What HBO needs to do is offer a model like Steam does with games - consumer pays to get a digital copy of the whole season, which is released at the same time globally, that the consumer can watch when and how they choose. I'm sure just about everyone would be happy to pay $30-$40 US for a digital copy of each season of GoTs.

Archived