Will Longclaw get upgraded into Lightbringer, and how?

Rattenhoofd

Assuming that Jon is indeed AA, Longclaw isn't Lightbringer, and Lightbringer isn't some kind of lame metaphor.

LB could be a new sword entirely, but Jon hasn't had LC for too long and has hardly used it so far, so losing LC for it to be replaced by LB sounds unlikely to me. This would suggest LC needs to be upgraded into LB one way or another, but the question is how?

My personal guess is that Melisandre, when she finally finds out Jon, not Stannis, is AA, will drum up some of that sweet R'hllor fire magic to transform his already pretty cool sword into an even cooler flaming sword, powerful enough to do a big number on those Others.

Other possibilities include Jon finding something beyond the Wall (unlikely to me), a different red priest(ess) doing it, or a different method entirely. Since the followers of R'hllor seem to be the main supporters of the AA prophecy, and their religion could be described as slightly fire-themed, it seems very likely to me that they're going to be involved in it

Any thoughts?

No

IMO Lightbringer is Dawn, the sword held by the Daynes forged by a Comet or Fallen Star or whatever

There's some symbolism if R=L=J holds that Arthur Dayne as a member of the Targaryen Kingsguard was wielding Dawn at the Tower of Joy to somewhat protect Lyanna and by extension Jon while he was being born so Dawn already has some affiliation with Jon

Why would LB be made a different way than the first time, even if your theory about Jon and Longclaw being "upgraded" are true, it doesn't make any sense that a red priest could just turn a sword into LB. If a sword is going to be turned into LB, its going to have to stab someone the wielder loves in the heart.

Why would LB be made a different way than the first time, even if your theory about Jon and Longclaw being "upgraded" are true, it doesn't make any sense that a red priest could just turn a sword into LB. If a sword is going to be turned into LB, its going to have to stab someone the wielder loves in the heart.

I'm not necassarily convinced JS is AA, AA is a champion of Fire and Jon straddles both Ice and Fire, Val and Mel, Stark and Targaryen, Wildlings and NW and in WoW while in Ghost perhaps both life/death etc

Anyway, in terms of modernity, would Lyanna dying during childbirth while Arthur Dayne is below count as Nissa Nissa?

No

IMO Lightbringer is Dawn, the sword held by the Daynes forged by a Comet or Fallen Star or whatever

There's some symbolism if R=L=J holds that Arthur Dayne as a member of the Targaryen Kingsguard was wielding Dawn at the Tower of Joy to somewhat protect Lyanna and by extension Jon while he was being born so Dawn already has some affiliation with Jon

This is an interesting thought I hadn't considered.

Is there? Badass knight wielding his sword on duty isn't that rare.

On topic: Never. The only actual sword I see becoming LB is Ice.

Hasn't Lightbringer already been forged? Wasn't that the purpose of the story of its forging? Perhaps it's just a matter of determining which already-existing sword it is, but perhaps not a matter of another one being re-forged or upgraded.

Perhaps the idea of Lightbringer as a "sword" is metaphorical. It may not be a literal weapon.

I don't think so. It's interesting when Jon is first given Longclaw, I don't recall the exact words, but he thinks of it as feeling "wrong". It is written in such a way that the most likely conclusion the reader will draw is that in hints to belonging to the Mormonts while he is considering abandoning the watch, but I don't think it would be written that way if it was really Lightbringer.

Archived