One Rex from different genres and classical Lit

My thread title is a bit ambiguous. Since reading ASOIAF, I've been strictly reading Fantasy. I have plenty more I want to get to but, I am thinking I'm needing a break in between series's, just starting to have a little Fantasy overload so to say. Before ASOIAF, I read thrillers and detective novels.

So what I want recs on is different fields of study and time period pieces. Like philosophy, Ancient Greek, Historical Lit, and so on and so on. I would just like to be more well read and maybe learn a thing or two.

So what im asking is a rec in each of these. One book that you could offer a layman that would expand my mind and maybe make me want to read more. So an example, if your well readbin ancient Greek, give me your opinion on what book would be best to get the most out odmf Ancient Greek writings. Same with philosophy, Civil War, politics, whatever. I'm sure you guys can think of other genre's/field of studies. Just want to be better educated and more well rounded human being.

Any recs are welcome, and for any genre or field of study. Thank you before hand.

Well, the obvious classical Rex is Sophocles' Oedipus Rex. Sphinxes are awesome! Other genres... well in comedy, there's Rex Mundi from Robert Rankin's Armageddon: The Musical, which also features Elvis Presley time travelling with the aid of a talking Brussels sprout. And in non-fiction of course there's everyone's favourite Rex, Tyrannosaurus, who's starred in too many books to even begin to list (actually, Tyrannosaurus probably is the one Rex who's appeared in a lot of different genres).

I prefer the hard driving style of Rex Chainbelt.

So, what his genre or field of study?

Field of study, I mean histories of various country's, Ancient Greek, Roman, Chinese, Japanese, modern countries, poetry, Muslim philosophers, religion (don't want scripture of any sort. Don't wanna get into anything like Quantum Physics or anything though, masonry (Lärrê), archeology, wars, etc, etc...just if you are familiar with anything and well versed in it and would recommend one book to a layman to get the most outta that subject what would it be?

Archived