Lack of dialogue/silent scenes - good or bad?

Lord Varys

I don't know if anybody else noticed this but the show seems to add more and more quiet/silent scenes into the episodes. Good examples for this would be the overly long scene of Arya staring at the faces in the recent episodes as well as quiet chair-shuffling scene in season 3.

Does anybody like those scenes or do you find them as boring and uninteresting as I do? In addition to the stupid 'two characters talking to each other until the scene ends' concept they established in season (then at first mostly to add new stuff and explore relationships) this helps making the story feel too fractured and pointless at times, especially in tight locations like KL in the books, where one character encounters multiple characters at the same time during the same event.

I have actually trouble going through an episode like due to this general set-up even when the content is close to the books, and the acting good (which doesn't happen often these days).

The fact that a lot of scenes are supposed to be funny and contain stupid meta-linguistic jokes doesn't really help at all.

Has anybody realized this as well, and if so, what are your thoughts about that. Does anybody like this approach at all?

This is how most TV period dramas are generally written.

I think the reason a lot of people have problems with it is because GoT, being fantasy and having dragons and such, has attracted alot of viewers who normally don't watch TV period dramas.

The scene in the Hall of Faces didn't really effect me one way or the other, but I consider the chair shuffle in the small council to be a great scene. I found it hilarious as hell while also being a very succinct recap/reinforcement of the character painting of everyone present. It is said in music that the silences are just as important as the notes - I think that works as an analog here.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many, many scenes that haven't had much or any dialog that I ended up loving. Sometimes the music and characters expressions tell it better. So no, I'm not bored. The chair scene was a little over the top, but I still thought it was funny and did reinforce what we know about the characters personalities, without needing dialog.

Archived