Timeframes?

Lerxst

I'm having trouble following this. I also don't know if it's stated better in the books than in the show, so I could use some help.

How much time has passed between season 1 and season 5 - between Eddard's death and the current season?

In some cases it seems like they've passed the time to an equal or so length as real time, in others, it seems to just be the day after the previous season.

Yeah, that's part of it. Some characters' story line seem to be taking place on different time frames than others. Which isn't bad, until they cross paths... then you need a DeLorean to rationalize it!

But then I look at Daenerys' plot line and wonder how all of that was able to happen over 2 years...? Just being pregnant to the point of being able to give a stillbirth would require a few months alone. So the rest happens over a year and a half.

I also remember Robert and Cersei talking about the month long travel to get to Winterfell, 1,000 miles away in season 1. So keep in mind anyone traveling that distance will take about that same time, giver or take. But we see characters traveling to and from these places like they're taking a train; they leave on episode, and arrive the next.

A month sounds fast to me for Robert and Cersei to travel 1000 miles anyway. They were traveling with a large wheel house and a sizable retinue. They probably 'had' to stop and be feasted at the holds/castles of any important lords they passed near, as well.

A horse can easily be ridden 40 miles a day and you can push it to 60 or more, but you need fresh horses. I suppose a rider might be able to take shortcuts the wheelhouse couldn't, but at 40 miles/day it would take 25 days to go 1000 miles.

Well, Myrcella said she has been in Dorne "for years", and she was sent there in S2.

Even though Gilly's baby hasn't grown at all.

So yeah, D&D fucked that up.

gilly's baby was not born till season three right? and she got to dorne in early season two it easily been years gilly's baby could be like 1 and a few months it's not like we ever get a good look at him.

I think it's been going to be like 4 years at the end of season 5 since the start of the pilot

Watching back over some mroe episodes, Jamie talks about being kept prisoner for 2 years - his excuse for being rusty with a sword. That was the middle of season 3 that he was released.

In early-mid-season 4, when he's back in Kings Landing, Cersei makes an offhand comment about "the months" he's been back. So by episode 3, season 4, we can assume it's been 2.5 years based on their conversations. If we assume Gilly's baby is 1.5 by the end of season 5 and since he was born in season 3 (when Jamie was released) then that means it's been 3.5 years in Westeros time.

Now Danny adds another factor. After getting knocked up by Drogo, she was far enough along in her pregnancy to give (premature) birth to a semi-recognizable creature that didn't live. Assuming the length of the wedding, her fluency in the language she just started to learn and her pregnancy, season 1 would seem to span about 1 year, maybe juts shy.

We also know her timeline runs parallel to the rest of Westeros since that guy she and her brother stayed with also made a trip back to Kings Landing in season 1 to talk with Varys (remember Arya overhearing them in the dungeon?).

So by the end of season 5, it looks like about 4.5 year have passed, maybe a few months less.

Archived