Implications of Barriston's absence [Book/Show Spoilers]

Southron Gourd

Considering the show has not even hinted that the Ghiscari were trying to retake the Slavers Bay cities like they do in the book I really cannot see how any of this really matters.

In the book at the end of ADwD we have a massive army arrayed outside the walls of Mereen and an invasion/siege is imminent. There is nothing like that happening in the books, the Harpy guys don't even come close to what Mereen should be dealing with by this stage in the story.

Tyrion can become a leader of the city defense by all means but he's got nothing to defend it against apart from some random terrorist cell that likes to wear masks and stab its own followers.

Well, since there's been no build up to a possible battle in Mereen, having one now would be rather pointless.

If there's no battle of Mereen, Barristan isn't needed to lead Dany's forces. So all in all his death doesn't have much in the way of repercussions - other than the fact the character isn't dead in the books yet, of course.

There may be a battle in season 6 with Tyrion, Jorah & Daario heading the defence of the city, but it's probably way too early to speculate as to what will be in season 6.

If you are right, this will propel GoT past fan fiction into a full-blown satire of ASOIAF.

Cool post bro

Considering the show has not even hinted that the Ghiscari were trying to retake the Slavers Bay cities like they do in the book I really cannot see how any of this really matters.

In the book at the end of ADwD we have a massive army arrayed outside the walls of Mereen and an invasion/siege is imminent. There is nothing like that happening in the books, the Harpy guys don't even come close to what Mereen should be dealing with by this stage in the story.

Tyrion can become a leader of the city defense by all means but he's got nothing to defend it against apart from some random terrorist cell that likes to wear masks and stab its own followers.

Which seems fine to me. Tyrion is a great strategist and defending against asymmetrical warfare like "terrorist" insurgencies are as much about politics and strategy as they are military tactics. Tyrion is not completely ignorant of Defense and Warefare, even if it's not his primary forte. But overall, if some traditional military threat (i.e. someone with a legit standing army) does materialize, in Season 6 and Danny is still Drogon-ing around the Dothraki Sea, I don't see this as much of a stretch if Tyrion--in league with Daario and Greyworm who each bring enormous amounts of military intelligence to their council--ends up in charge of the Defense of Mereen. Both Daario and Greyworm are skilled individual fighters and leaders of armies. Tyrion obviously understands the basics of military tactics and has been involved personally (however the efficacy) in a few battles and himself devices the overarching strategy that helped defeat Stannis (a respected military commander) at the Blackwater. For someone who stands, I don't know 3ft off the ground, that's a pretty impressive resume.

The script has been leaked this is what will happen in Episode 10. Classic D&D...

Arya will travel back to Winterfell where it will be revealed that Sansa was in fact Arya the whole time, and Arya was in fact Oberyn Martel reanimated.

Davos stabs Jon for refusing to send supplies and men to Stannis, but at the last second Jon wargs into Tyrion who jumps on Drogon and flies back to Westerost to save Jon.

Meanwhile, Jorah leads an army of Meereenese to Dorne, where Theon and Benjen Stark (shocker) have been plotting to make Cersei gay. Cersei is caught for being gay and made to walk naked, all the way to Winterfell, where she teams up with Oberyn Martel to to resurrect Ned Stark and lead the war against the White Walkers and the Zombie Army, which will take up all 10 episodes of Season 6.

Internet explodes.

The script has been leaked this is what will happen in Episode 10. Classic D&D...

Arya will travel back to Winterfell where it will be revealed that Sansa was in fact Arya the whole time, and Arya was in fact Oberyn Martel reanimated.

Davos stabs Jon for refusing to send supplies and men to Stannis, but at the last second Jon wargs into Tyrion who jumps on Drogon and flies back to Westerost to save Jon.

Meanwhile, Jorah leads an army of Meereenese to Dorne, where Theon and Benjen Stark (shocker) have been plotting to make Cersei gay. Cersei is caught for being gay and made to walk naked, all the way to Winterfell, where she teams up with Oberyn Martel to to resurrect Ned Stark and lead the war against the White Walkers and the Zombie Army, which will take up all 10 episodes of Season 6.

Internet explodes.

Epic!

I think Cleon was in Astapor, but yeah. In Yunkai she sent Daario and Hizdahr to negotiate, and their demands were folded in to the Meereenese's (is that really the right word?) i.e. open the fighting pits. So I think they decided to go with only enemies inside the city for the show.

In the books, the only reason the Yunkai/Astapor siege is any use, is because they are expecting reinforcements from Volantis. With the apparent demise of the fAegon storyline, I don't see us returning to Volantis, perhaps ever.

Archived