An idea about the Others

So there I was, reading up on Brandon Stark in the Wiki of Ice and Fire, posting another thread with a question about the relationship between Rhaegar and Aerys when something struck me. Here's is the line in the entry that tickled me specifically:

Brandon was buried in the crypts beneath Winterfell. Bran Stark notes that only the kings and lords of Winterfell are supposed to have statues in their likeness, not their family members, but Eddard wished to honor his beloved siblings and had them made anyway.

Some of our fellow members have suggested that the Others are moving now for a reason. They speculate that perhaps there was a pact between Westerosi mankind and the Others at the end of the Long Night, just like there was between the First Men and the Children of the Snorefest. This pact has been linked to the reassurance that "There must always be a Stark at Winterfell", as Ned has imprinted on Robb more than once.

Perhaps they did not mean the living, but the dead. By adding Lyanna and Brandon to the crypt, the pact was broken because Ned elevated the Wild Wolf and the She Wolf to a higher status than was their due. If he had only put his father there, the pact would have remained intact. But now? More Starks, more than one in fact.

So there I was, reading up on Brandon Stark in the Wiki of Ice and Fire, posting another thread with a question about the relationship between Rhaegar and Aerys when something struck me. Here's is the line in the entry that tickled me specifically:

Some of our fellow members have suggested that the Others are moving now for a reason. They speculate that perhaps there was a pact between Westerosi mankind and the Others at the end of the Long Night, just like there was between the First Men and the Children of the Snorefest. This pact has been linked to the reassurance that "There must always be a Stark at Winterfell", as Ned has imprinted on Robb more than once.

Perhaps they did not mean the living, but the dead. By adding Lyanna and Brandon to the crypt, the pact was broken because Ned elevated the Wild Wolf and the She Wolf to a higher status than was their due. If he had only put his father there, the pact would have remained intact. But now? More Starks, more than one in fact.

....Uh no.Also Brandon was the lord...and Lyanna was a queen.

I don't think it is possible. I mean, how could it break the pact.

Brandon was the lord? Which Brandon? Bran was a lord, Brandon Stark, brother of Eddard, died before his father so he was never lord.

He strangled to death while his father burned.So I figure he died after his father making him lord if only momentarily.

Also Brandon the daughterless daughter's child was half wildling and a kinslayer and he was fine being buried.

Also he was a bastard.

He strangled to death while his father burned.So I figure he died after his father making him lord if only momentarily.

Interesting. But even if we assume this is true, maybe it has to do with Lyanna?

The Others started their movements far before the Starks left Winterfell. Anyone remember that scene with them in the prologue of A Game of Thrones? Before that, the Others hadn't been seen in thousands of years... Certainly hadn't waited for the Starks to be gone from Winterfell.

There is a reason that they waited so long to return, just we haven't learned enough about them to know why yet. I doubt it has anything to do with the Starks, the kings in their crypts, or the old saying that there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. More likely that they've been waiting on the seasons, and this Winter is predicted to be a very long one.

Interesting. But even if we assume this is true, maybe it has to do with Lyanna?

I assume Brandon the Builder was buried with a direwolf.Also iirc the other's have always been around.I mean Craster has been sacrificing children for at least...14 15 years?More than likely longer.As Gilly is around that age and shes never said to be his eldest daughter/wife

Then they should have come decades ago when Artos received a statue.

I don't really see a connection between "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" (which is always used to indicate a LIVING Stark) and who got statutes in the crypts.

Besides, if that was the thing that awoke the Others from their hibernation, they should have shown up 10+ years earlier than they did.

I don't really see a connection between "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" (which is always used to indicate a LIVING Stark) and who got statutes in the crypts.

Besides, if that was the thing that awoke the Others from their hibernation, they should have shown up 10+ years earlier than they did.

The whole Stark in Winterfell thing was explained by that one mountain clansman to Bran and company.About how with a Stark at winterfell a girl could walk the whole of the kingsroad in her maidens cloak and be perfectly safe.And how everywhere you went you could find hospitality.It's more about the Starks maintaining order with their presence.

Archived