I'm a new Atheist in a fundamentalist Christian family

I don't know, i like religious mythology (lore?) and whenever i hear something interesting, i'll mention it to religious family members or friends. Then i let them either tell me how that's the devil or how wrong it is but sometimes it sparks a good conversation.

It's a solid diversion tactic to avoid the controversial topics and yet it gives them an opportunity to talk about their faith. The way you describe it, not unlike with my family, they're going to do that anyway, so why not have a little fun with it?

I also like to feign spiritual profundity by repeating all the babble i've heard on those astrology tv shows over the years and enjoy their ironic attempts at trying to convince me that it's nonsense.

Life as an atheist in the Western world is a cakewalk unless you choose to be an aggressively confrontational dick about, or friends or relations are super unreasonable about this issue.

Most theists disagree with atheists, but in my experience they don't belabor the issue unless you deliberately bait them, and you can live life hand in hand with nary a hurtful word uttered till death or circumstance do you part.

I find the extremists who are obnoxious about it easy to handle. I simply agree with everything they say. They eventually have to let it go. "Yes, I'm an atheist and I'm going to burn in hell for eternity unless God forgives me. It's too bad, really, I'm told I'm a decent person, volunteer and everything, but what can you do? The world was *obviously* created 10,000 years ago - what's that? 8,000? - the world was obviously created whenever you say it was, and the majority of scientists are elbow deep in a conspiracy to cover it up, you know, for reasons." Do it and sound sincere. And if they call you on it, ask them what are you supposed to do to appease them, you are already agreeing with everything they say.

I generally don't talk about it to people and if they ask me about it, I'll mention that I'm not religious, but I don't want to get into a debate with people I know and care about. So long as they aren't rude to me about it.

My family has finally accepted it, but it took a while. My mother would always say, "you know deep down that you do believe", and I'd say "deep down I can't be 100% certain about anything, and I would bet the same is true about you".

One day my sister asked me at a family gathering if I worried about hell....that although she admitted religion may have gotten it wrong, if the bible was true, that I might end up in hell. I responded with "If God judges people on their beliefs(rather than their actions), and sends people to be tortured for eternity simply for choosing the wrong belief system(in a sea of available options), then God is a sadistic asshole and I wouldn't worship him even if I did believe in him". Hell, I wouldn't worship him even if he sent evil people to be tortured for eternity. The Abrahamic religions don't make any sense to me anymore....they claim God is a loving deity, but he does so many evil things if what is written is to be believed. Anyway, nobody in my family has brought up religion to me since.

If I were you, Id keep quiet about my new "lack of faith." Don't mention it to your family.

If they are as devout as you say they are, it could lead to an unfortunate outcome for you, and you certainly will receive plenty of angry, vitriolic attacks based only upon what you believe or don't believe.

I don't think anything constructive can come from telling your family this. Tell friends or forums like these instead. Just my advice.

Life as an atheist in the Western world is a cakewalk unless you choose to be an aggressively confrontational dick about, or friends or relations are super unreasonable about this issue.

Most theists disagree with atheists, but in my experience they don't belabor the issue unless you deliberately bait them, and you can live life hand in hand with nary a hurtful word uttered till death or circumstance do you part.

I find the extremists who are obnoxious about it easy to handle. I simply agree with everything they say. They eventually have to let it go. "Yes, I'm an atheist and I'm going to burn in hell for eternity unless God forgives me. It's too bad, really, I'm told I'm a decent person, volunteer and everything, but what can you do? The world was *obviously* created 10,000 years ago - what's that? 8,000? - the world was obviously created whenever you say it was, and the majority of scientists are elbow deep in a conspiracy to cover it up, you know, for reasons." Do it and sound sincere. And if they call you on it, ask them what are you supposed to do to appease them, you are already agreeing with everything they say.

While that is probably true when dealing with most moderate Catholics or mainstream protestants (who are the majority in the West, no doubt), fundamentalist Evangelicals and dogmatic Catholics are a different kettle of fish. I've never been upfront about my lack of faith when dealing with my relatives, but I still got plastered with propaganda material etc. And choosing your rather confrontational path would have led to a backlash on my family.

While that is probably true when dealing with most moderate Catholics or mainstream protestants (who are the majority in the West, no doubt), fundamentalist Evangelicals and dogmatic Catholics are a different kettle of fish. I've never been upfront about my lack of faith when dealing with my relatives, but I still got plastered with propaganda material etc. And choosing your rather confrontational path would have led to a backlash on my family.

Seems like a bad spot to be in. Can't do the fake agreement, can't do the rational "hey, you can't force faith, let's agree to disagree on this and enjoy the points where we do converge." I personally find family a rather arbitrary connection; rather I view the personality of the individual to be the deciding factor on whether I will spend time with them without a salary attached to that time. If all the person wants of me is a sock puppet that they can force their own words out of, it does not seem like they have any esteem for me personally, so I wouldn't consider severing connections with them too tragic a loss. I hope your family has a lot to offer otherwise that you are willing to put up with the duress they are perfectly happy to inflict on you.

Archived