[Spoilers]The fate of Stannis

• 2 months later...

for what reason would they keep him alive?

the audience hates him.  people were rooting for ramsay bolton against him.  and they don't  hate him in an entertaining way like they hated joff, but they hate him in an 'ugh' killed his daughter way.

what utility can he bring to the plot?  he has no army, supporters, money?

pfft what plot? D&d set it on fire all season.

I just assumed Stannis was dead until my sister pointed out that we don't actually see what happens after Brienne swings the sword. After episode 9, I kind of felt relieved when Stannis died tbh, because I couldn't see a way back for him after Shireen's death. I'm not sure how I'd feel if it turns out he's actually alive!

I'm also concerned that they aren't going to bring Jon AND Stannis back (surely you wouldn't fake two deaths in one episode) so if Stannis is alive, what does that mean for Jon and everyone's theory that Melisandre will bring him back? And given that I'm really, really hoping we might see a certain gravedigger next season, it just feels a bit much to expect 3 characters to come back from the dead in the same season!

"I shall bring justice in the books. A thing the D's understand even less than they do screenwriting. ShowStannis gained me naught...and he was evil, as they said. The D's must pay the traitor's price themselves, in their own declining ratings. And when the Winds of Winter is published and I come into my kingdom, they shall. Every man who was slandered my good name and soiled my reputation with the masses shall reap what they have sown, from the D's themselves to the intern responsible for Olly. And some will lose more than another year's paycheck, I promise you. They have made my name a mockery, and I do not forget that." ----BookStannis responding to rumors that ShowStannis may be alive.

Applause, by R'hllor, the Old Gods and the New, Eru, and the Ainur.

"I'm also concerned that they aren't going to bring Jon AND Stannis back (surely you wouldn't fake two deaths in one episode)"

The difference is that John is really dead, it was not a fake death but a true one. We saw him dying. Stannis is not dead... For the moment.

But you are partly right : as John needs to be resurrected to come back, there won't be any Lady Stoneheart in the show : 2 resurrections would be to much.

King Stannis Baratheon Lives and here is why...

First we have to understand Brienne

She is extremly honorable almost the equivalent of a female Ned Stark 

She originally pledged her life to the Late King Renly and was a member of his Rainbow Guard.  

that in its self was a folly because Renly cannot skip his elder brother.  

She witnesses his death by the shadow baby and her emotions lead her to seek revenge for Stannis..

But renly is dead so her vows to him are over.  

Soon after she realizes that and pledges herself to Lady Catelyn.  

Because of circumstances she ends up on a mission to retrieve the Stark Girls...

Which is now her Sworn "duty"

So my take is when Stannis says "do your duty"  

alot is running through her mind.  

She says "in the name of Renly Baratheon etc etc"

Renly is dead how can she seek justice for him as said "king" if he is no king to begin with.  

Also she is not the type to just name herself judge, and executioner.  

She swings but does not strike King Stannis.  

She takes him prisoner with the intent of seeking justice for Renly.  Now what justice can she beget?

He admitted his crime, I believe she will take him to the wall ... Not sure why but that will be her goal, on the way she will run into sansa and theon and the whole northern conspiracy will take shape.  

My 79 cents

King Stannis Baratheon Lives and here is why...

First we have to understand Brienne

She is extremly honorable almost the equivalent of a female Ned Stark 

She originally pledged her life to the Late King Renly and was a member of his Rainbow Guard.  

that in its self was a folly because Renly cannot skip his elder brother.  

She witnesses his death by the shadow baby and her emotions lead her to seek revenge for Stannis..

But renly is dead so her vows to him are over.  

Soon after she realizes that and pledges herself to Lady Catelyn.  

Because of circumstances she ends up on a mission to retrieve the Stark Girls...

Which is now her Sworn "duty"

So my take is when Stannis says "do your duty"  

alot is running through her mind.  

She says "in the name of Renly Baratheon etc etc"

Renly is dead how can she seek justice for him as said "king" if he is no king to begin with.  

Also she is not the type to just name herself judge, and executioner.  

She swings but does not strike King Stannis.  

She takes him prisoner with the intent of seeking justice for Renly.  Now what justice can she beget?

He admitted his crime, I believe she will take him to the wall ... Not sure why but that will be her goal, on the way she will run into sansa and theon and the whole northern conspiracy will take shape.  

My 79 cents

If stannis is alive he will join the northern army that will fight the boltons next season.

I really don't get why the show didn't have stannis gain northern allies last season and instead opted to do a repeat battle next season with the northern houses. I guess it was important for D&D to show stannis failing and for the victory at winterfell to be wholly a northern achievement.

• 1 month later...

My initial thought was that Brienne will turn up at the gates of Winterfell, Stannis in tow.  She'll use him to get inside (where she still thinks Sansa is) and we'll go from there. Dull, predictable, D&D.

My thoughts exactly.

My initial thought was that Brienne will turn up at the gates of Winterfell, Stannis in tow.  She'll use him to get inside (where she still thinks Sansa is) and we'll go from there. Dull, predictable, D&D.

And How would that play out exactly?

Brienne turns up at the gates of Winterfell, Stannis in tow.
Brienne: Lord Bolton I have something you want!
Roose: What is it my dear?
Brienne: The False king Stannis Baratheon. I will give him to you if you give me Lady Sansa.
Roose: And if we don't give you my beloved daughter?
Brienne: I will kill him.
Roose: We want him dead anyway. Go ahead. Kill him.
Brienne: No, I misspoke. I let him live.
Roose: A king without an army. I fear for my castles. Oh, did you notice the archers on the wall? You won't walk five steps before they kill you both. Be a good girl, hand him over and I won't let my bastard my true born son flay you. 

And How would that play out exactly?

It'll play out exactly how the writers want, not being one of them I don't really know.  Whether it will be good writing or bad writing, well given how shit an idea it is the writing will probably be quite bad.  

Archived