How do other religions take their vows at the Nights Watch

Ser Vampyr

I Was under the impression Qhorin was a northerner he seemed to have an understanding of wolf dreams and asks Jon what he say in the frost fangs?

How do people get the impression he was Ironborn or Arthur Dayne?

On the show, Qhorin is very definitely Northern, but that's because of a deliberate decision D&D made.

In the books, I think it's a lot more ambiguous. He seems to know much more about wargs than any normal Northerner would. And he almost certainly learned that from spending most of his life ranging north of the Wall, hanging out with people like Mance and Benjen, dealing with wildlings more than any other ranger, etc., not from his childhood.

I don't actually know what makes people think he's IB, but the fact that D&D apparently got that impression, and independently Middle Umber did as well, implies there may be something there. Maybe it is just that the name Qhorin looks IB-ish, as Umber says.

As for Arthur Dayne, to me, it seemed just like every other "X is secretly Y" theory from people who think Y is cool and wish he was in more of the story and are willing to twist things around to prove that it's not quite impossible and therefore declare that it must be true. Seriously, the best evidence I remember is those two sentences where Qhorin and the breaking of dawn are mentioned together. But don't trust me to argue for a theory I don't believe in; if you really want to know, search for the threads.

Is there any precedent in which a man was sent to the wall but was only a sellsword,merchant from Essos?

That's an interesting idea.

I can't think of any examples, but it doesn't seem too implausible that if, say, one of the bands of former Brave Companions wandering around as outlaws got caught, they might be allowed to take the Black.

I have no idea what would happen if they suggested building an altar to the Black Goat and sacrificing a noble child as the best way to make their oath binding. But my guess is that Jon or Bowen or whoever's in charge at the time would say, "You know what, I think I'll just trust you to take an oath at the Sept".

Do you think any valyrians from aegons conquest or prior where sent to the wall?

That seems less likely. Before Aegon, the Valyrians mostly didn't get involved in Westeros. (Of course there are Targaryens and other Valyrian descendants from after the Conquest, most famously Bloodraven, but they've all officially adopted the Faith of the Seven.)

On the show, Qhorin is very definitely Northern, but that's because of a deliberate decision D&D made.

In the books, I think it's a lot more ambiguous. He seems to know much more about wargs than any normal Northerner would. And he almost certainly learned that from spending most of his life ranging north of the Wall, hanging out with people like Mance and Benjen, dealing with wildlings more than any other ranger, etc., not from his childhood.

I don't actually know what makes people think he's IB, but the fact that D&D apparently got that impression, and independently Middle Umber did as well, implies there may be something there. Maybe it is just that the name Qhorin looks IB-ish, as Umber says.

As for Arthur Dayne, to me, it seemed just like every other "X is secretly Y" theory from people who think Y is cool and wish he was in more of the story and are willing to twist things around to prove that it's not quite impossible and therefore declare that it must be true. Seriously, the best evidence I remember is those two sentences where Qhorin and the breaking of dawn are mentioned together. But don't trust me to argue for a theory I don't believe in; if you really want to know, search for the threads.

For me it´s the name. I can´t remember if we see him cursing to any gods when he´s angry. So no clues for me there about his religion.

Qhorin, Qhored, Qhorwyn are all ironborn names, not found anywhere else in Westeros.

Archived