Abel and the Washerwomen Foreshadowing in ACOK

LmL

Very nice Sweetsunray, I have to agree with your analysis here. We should probably compile a list of mirrored chapters - as I was saying, I have found several in AFFC and ADWD. Certain locations also. Iron each other - Winterfell crypts and the dragon skull basement in KL, for example. All chapters and scenes there play into the common motifs and patterns.

You should really copy this last comment of yours somewhere to repost here when they finally do the update. All comments left between yesterday and whenever they do the upgrade will disappear, as per Ran's announcement.

Very nice Sweetsunray, I have to agree with your analysis here. We should probably compile a list of mirrored chapters - as I was saying, I have found several in AFFC and ADWD. Certain locations also. Iron each other - Winterfell crypts and the dragon skull basement in KL, for example. All chapters and scenes there play into the common motifs and patterns.

You should really copy this last comment of yours somewhere to repost here when they finally do the update. All comments left between yesterday and whenever they do the upgrade will disappear, as per Ran's announcement.

Copied :D It would be interesting to have a thread with a compilation of mirror chapters.

Indeed. Put that thought in your back pocket, and perhaps let's start a running list akin to the "Moments of foreshadowing" thread.

Check out the three parallel weddings in ADWD if you're bored: Dany & Hizdahr, Styr the Magnar of Thenn & Alys Karstark, and Ramsay and fArya. Pretty cool stuff.

Indeed. Put that thought in your back pocket, and perhaps let's start a running list akin to the "Moments of foreshadowing" thread.

Check out the three parallel weddings in ADWD if you're bored: Dany & Hizdahr, Styr the Magnar of Thenn & Alys Karstark, and Ramsay and fArya. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm gathering all my evidence for my hidden bear in the books for the moment... but I'll check up on it :) ('t was by doing this I came across the analogy)

Crouching tiger, hidden bear?

Are you looking for a bear that has made off with a pic-a-nic basket?

Oh, I found the bear alright... I know where he's hiding ;) It's up to me to gather the evidence to support the claim, per the bear-lore, themes and hints GRRM uses for it. He makes off with Freys :lol:

LML - great thread.  I followed it over from Foreshadowing, which I really enjoy.  The comparison between the 3 killings after the miller's boys and the 3 killed by washerwomen is great.  Also, this thread attracted great commentarians! 

I like the idea of a parallel chapters compilation.

Thanks Avlonnic, I was just doing a reread and it popped out to me, because I had the ADWD Prince of Winterfell chapter fresh in my mind. I figured I'd just type it up real quick instead of my normal level of laboriousness. ;) Glad you enjoyed it, this kind of stuff is what makes doing another reread always a good idea. I'm absolutely sure there are a ton of foreshadowing a that no one has caught onto yet. It's pretty fun to stumble across something and have that "ooooohhh I get it!" moment.

The parallel chapters thing is going to happen. I'll make sure to get it going when the board is updated. If you've noticed any paralleled chapters, by all means post them here or shoot me a message. I'm sure there are a bunch of obvious ones if we stop and think about it.

I haven't gone through this whole thread yet, but some people have mentioned in other threads that fArya is headed to the wall with the Iron Bank man Tycho & Alysane.  We hear in Jon's thoughts that he wanted (who he thought was) Arya, if she were to arrive at the wall, to be sent to Bravos so she's not on the front line with the others.  This could of course mean that the real Arya could cross paths with her, or at least for fArya to visit the HoBaW.  A little bit of a stretch I know, but wouldn't it be sweet if Arya were to kill Ramsey with fArya's face.

I haven't gone through this whole thread yet, but some people have mentioned in other threads that fArya is headed to the wall with the Iron Bank man Tycho & Alysane.  We hear in Jon's thoughts that he wanted (who he thought was) Arya, if she were to arrive at the wall, to be sent to Bravos so she's not on the front line with the others.  This could of course mean that the real Arya could cross paths with her, or at least for fArya to visit the HoBaW.  A little bit of a stretch I know, but wouldn't it be sweet if Arya were to kill Ramsey with fArya's face.

poor fArya - first trained to please, then raped and abused by Ramsay, nose frozen off, sent to Braavos, and then offed by the FM for her face. Unless she of course seeks the HoBaW herself for some deadly dose of sweet sleep.

^^^ I've seen that speculation before, it makes a certain amount of sense. I do think Arya will end up back in the north, but will Ramsay live that long?

All of this is interesting, and I think we can probably find a number of "mirror" chapters. However (as I think you've alluded to,Lucifer), the trick is in knowing where they deviate as well as where they replicate.. where other themes come into play, and it's very hard to predict.

For example, if Jon should wind up confronting Ramsay on his way to CB, and killing him.. (something I think the narrative is bending toward inexorably)... in a roundabout way , Arya could still be said to be the instrument of Ramsay's destruction , since Ramsay would be in pursuit of Jeyne/Arya in order to protect the Bolton's false claim. Arya, in essence, would be leading him to his doom.

At the same time, other themes pertinent to Jon would be active..Just who is a bastard ? or a "creature" ? ... The terms are applied to both, at one point or another.. and they may both apply, but in very different ways .. Will "trueborn Lord of Winterfell" have to answer to "I AM the Lord of Winterfell." ?

Time is growing shorter, and much as my sentiments run to "Up, women !" I don't think we'll be seeing either Sansa or Arya on the high seat in WF. Each has her own strengths.. Sansa is learning to see through plots and machinations, and to be politic ... Arya is ruthless and fearless, and becoming an excellent spy. The north needs a warrior and tactician to lead it , and it must be a  Stark , not someone acting for a Stark.. so Rickon won't (yet) fit the bill either, because he's too young...Because this "must" is for magical reasons, it won't matter if Jon's Starkness comes through his mother... I think it will have to be Jon or Benjen.. ( Anyway - I don't want to digress too far.)

Back to the washerwomen.. We don't know the purpose of that early "kiss you or kill you" foreshadowing. Frankly, I think it's meant to mislead, to make us suspect the washerwomen, when it's actually Ramsay doing the killings. Theon's first response when musing about the killings is to note the similarity to when he was Prince of Winterfell.. and the culprit was that different "Reek" with lies dripping from his lips like honey.

Archived