Timing of the Pink Letter

pigpiginsunspear

So the Pink Letter, which was in fact written by Ramsey, is a total fabrication. Mance, Theon,Jeyne, and four of the six women accompanying Mance have likely simply disappeared and Ramsey is throwing a tantrum.

Except it is not a fact, it's an opinion, and unlike fact opinions vary.

Would be really interesting if it were Stannis.  I don't think he has it in him to be so slippery (it would be beyond devious if Stannis was the one to right it).

Also why would Stannis write it?  He may need reinforcements..but by the time Jon gets there, it would be too late.

I think Stannis has it in him to be devious, and I think that position is well supported in the text.

You're right to say that Jon would not get to Winterfell in time for the coming battle, but Stannis' ultimate goal is the Iron Throne, not Winterfell, and he has said on multiple occasions that he needs the son of Eddard Stark to bind the North to his cause. So I do think he has motive. In fact I think he has a better motive than other proposed authors of the letter like Ramsay or Mance, to name but two. That's my opinion. The fact won't be established until TWoW is released.

On another Pink Letter thread (several in fact) it was stated that GRRM said Ramsey wrote the Pink Letter so I don't argue authorship. I agree with the Dustin thread on reddit (she's a Stark loyalist playing a role) but not that Barbrey wrote the letter. And Big Walder did in fact kill Little Walder no question. Proof is that when the body was brought into the hall it was frozen solid with Big Walder described as covered with his cousin's blood. Frozen blood doesn't run.

Except it is not a fact, it's an opinion, and unlike fact opinions vary.

I think Stannis has it in him to be devious, and I think that position is well supported in the text.

You're right to say that Jon would not get to Winterfell in time for the coming battle, but Stannis' ultimate goal is the Iron Throne, not Winterfell, and he has said on multiple occasions that he needs the son of Eddard Stark to bind the North to his cause. So I do think he has motive. In fact I think he has a better motive than other proposed authors of the letter like Ramsay or Mance, to name but two. That's my opinion. The fact won't be established until TWoW is released.

I don't disagree at all.  Just my opinion about Stannis...I agree he can be devious...forgery just sounds like a different level to me.

GRRM added this note when he first published the Theon chapter from TWoW on his website.

The chronology, as usual, is tricky. This chapter will be found eventually at the beginning of WINDS, but as you will be able to tell from context, it actually takes place before some of the chapters at the end of DANCE.

And by "some of the chapters at the end of DANCE" he means Jon XIII.

Knowing this would have saved a lot of people from coming up with crazy ideas about who wrote the pink letter... oh, wait... three-eyed monkey?

:D

GRRM added this note when he first published the Theon chapter from TWoW on his website.

The chronology, as usual, is tricky. This chapter will be found eventually at the beginning of WINDS, but as you will be able to tell from context, it actually takes place before some of the chapters at the end of DANCE.

And by "some of the chapters at the end of DANCE" he means Jon XIII.

I hope so. If a casual reader is not able to tell it from the context when the Winds come out, not publishing this chapter in ADwD will be considered as a grave editorial mistake.

Knowing this would have saved a lot of people from coming up with crazy ideas about who wrote the pink letter... oh, wait... three-eyed monkey?

:D

If it turns out that GRRM confirmed Ramsay wrote the letter then I am seriously going to have to rethink the theory. :dunce:

I hope so. If a casual reader is not able to tell it from the context when the Winds come out, not publishing this chapter in ADwD will be considered as a grave editorial mistake.

Very true. And if the average reader cannot tell it from the context then it will also be very worrying.

If it turns out that GRRM confirmed Ramsay wrote the letter then I am seriously going to have to rethink the theory. :dunce:
Very true. And if the average reader cannot tell it from the context then it will also be very worrying.

I was just yanking yer chain ya monkey.

Archived