who's the best pov character and why?

Dr Qyburn M.D

I love there books so much but im always changing who my favourite character is. Some days its tyrion the next its Davos or Jon I cant make my mind up
I'd love to know who your favourite character is and why

If by favourite you mean which POV I like to read independently of how I feel about the character itself I would say, even if she had only one chapter, Melisandre. Her POV changed a lot the way I feel about her and her motivations and while I still don't like her as a person because she finds entirely too easy to kill (and with fire one of the most painful ways to die there is) I found her very interesting as for every other character in the story she has shown to have very good reasons, in her mind, for her cruelty which now I do not feel is only borne out of complete disregard for human life, but for a feeling of pressing need to save the world from the Enemy. She has expressed concern over the Great Other fear that before entering her thoughts I thought was feigned, an excuse, now I believe she has real fear.
Probably GRRM gave us her POV only to have eyes on the wall now that Jon is gone, but she might also play a bigger part, who knows, but I would find that rather intriguing...

I disagree. See Drogonthedread's post above. Jon is always given a convenient out thus far, Qhorin ordering him to kill him, Summer saving him after he wouldn't kill the old man, Ygritte dying, etc. Jon is much more of a typical fantasy protagonist. And there's nothing wrong with that, I just feel Daenerys is the more complex character.

When Dany goes through her liberation of Slaver's Bay, there is no inner-conflict.  She views the slave masters as evil and herself as good and righteous.  It is black and white in her eyes.  Her heart starts to come into conflict when she tries to rule Meeren and wants peace.  She wants the Sons of the Harpy to stop killing and she doesn't want war with Yunkai and the rest of Essos, but she also wants slavery to stop, yet she cant have both.  You criticize Jon because he always has an out, but in this situation, Dany gets the out.  The Green Grace and Hizdahr give her an out.   She may not like it, but she would have gotten her peace had Drogon just stayed away.  Dany may not have liked her peace terms, but do you think Jon liked killing Qhorin, and leaving Ygritte, and having Ygritte die in his arms?  

When Dany goes through her liberation of Slaver's Bay, there is no inner-conflict.  She views the slave masters as evil and herself as good and righteous.  It is black and white in her eyes.  Her heart starts to come into conflict when she tries to rule Meeren and wants peace.  She wants the Sons of the Harpy to stop killing and she doesn't want war with Yunkai and the rest of Essos, but she also wants slavery to stop, yet she cant have both.  You criticize Jon because he always has an out, but in this situation, Dany gets the out.  The Green Grace and Hizdahr give her an out.   She may not like it, but she would have gotten her peace had Drogon just stayed away.  Dany may not have liked her peace terms, but do you think Jon liked killing Qhorin, and leaving Ygritte, and having Ygritte die in his arms?  

She wasn't given an out, she married a man she despised because it was the best way to bring peace to the city. It would be like Jon agreeing to marry Cersei Lannister, or Frey or Bolton. Such a decision is a huge inner conflict.

Of course not, but Jon didn't have to make any of those choices on his own. Qhorin ordered him to kill him, he had to leave Ygritte because he wouldn't kill the man at QC, and Ygritte dying saved him having to make a tough choice once the Wildlings were south of the Wall. Dany chose to end her relationship with Daario when she married Hizdahr on her own, as opposed to Jon who's love that would test his duty was dead.

You see dany already chose that price that she paid for peace is too much and then drogon arrives whereas jon only chooses after ghost appears

On the other hand there is a certain lady having 3 dragons.02

Where she was able to get them through sacrifices of her family and burning a witch and walking through a fire but still have hard time controling them before she finally does

compare that with finding a wolf accidently and has the magic blood control them ..not one but the whole family has the power

am not saying that dany is somewhat not a typical fantasy hero but dany had more conflict and hard decisions and gets her hands dirty than jon

Do hardcore Dany fans enjoy her chapters in Mereen? I thoroughly enjoyed her pov in AGoT, loved the HOTU chapter in ACoK, Dracarys was awesome in ASoS but then we get to Mereen and her POV really drags. Really would like to know hardcore Dany fans opinion on those chapters.

I have to say, I'm not at all a hardcore Dany fan I even had a time when I really disliked her (though i've changed my mind again) but I actually enjoyed her chapters in mereen. Not my fav dance chapters obviously but I have friends who read the books long before me and when I was about to start it they went "oh and prepare yourself for Dany's chapters, nothing happens until the last chapter" but when I read them I actually enjoyed them more than her chapters in others books (not including GOT) maybe it's cause I actually like Hizdahr and I really like Quentyn, maybe it's cause I started liking her more again because she was always like "I belong to the people" (or something like that) like she really sacrificed herself for her people, while I was really against certain decisions (*cough*163*cough*) she took before. the thing with Dany is that she means well but she also has some extreme black and white ideas about good and Evil and sometimes she should really listen more to the people arround her, but I see a change in Dance, she starts to realise that things aren't so black and white, she's learning what it is to rule and failing quite a bit (but than again she's so young) but the only way we can really learn is through failure. Now I hope Dany fans aren't going to kill me for saying all this haha.

Do hardcore Dany fans enjoy her chapters in Mereen? I thoroughly enjoyed her pov in AGoT, loved the HOTU chapter in ACoK, Dracarys was awesome in ASoS but then we get to Mereen and her POV really drags. Really would like to know hardcore Dany fans opinion on those chapters.

I didn't like them at first, but I enjoy them on re read.

I disagree. See Drogonthedread's post above. Jon is always given a convenient out thus far, Qhorin ordering him to kill him, Summer saving him after he wouldn't kill the old man, Ygritte dying, etc. Jon is much more of a typical fantasy protagonist. And there's nothing wrong with that, I just feel Daenerys is the more complex character.

I completely disagree. Jon never has an easy way out. Just because he always does the right thing doesn't mean his choices are easy. You know what would be easy? To kill that man. To not lie to Mance and stay with the wildlings. To accept WF would have been easy. But Jon does none of those things. And it's not because his choices are easy, but because he does what he believes is right. Dany is actually the one with easy choices. Because the slavers are written like greedy, brutal animals, so everything she does with them is seen as morally just. 

Anyway. The best POV is Jaime. He's funny, smart, tries to be just and is a baddas in general. 

yes i love her chapters in dance too

sure it maybe slowpaced but whose arc is fast paced in feast and dance

i had hard time knowing the names and players in the first read but on the subsequent reads i start to enjoy once became familiar with the new characters

and her arc had not one but two good chapters of the series the daznak and her in dothraki sea

so i will suggest a reread for her chapters if u find them boring on first time

I completely disagree. Jon never has an easy way out. Just because he always does the right thing doesn't mean his choices are easy. You know what would be easy? To kill that man. To not lie to Mance and stay with the wildlings. To accept WF would have been easy. But Jon does none of those things. And it's not because his choices are easy, but because he does what he believes is right. Dany is actually the one with easy choices. Because the slavers are written like greedy, brutal animals, so everything she does with them is seen as morally just. 

Anyway. The best POV is Jaime. He's funny, smart, tries to be just and is a baddas in general. 

Couldn't it be that both had difficult choices and because of how we read (i.e. like) the characters we tend to judge such choices easier or harder?

I tend to like Jon on the whole (it's more compassion that acutally liking, but that's for another discussion), so I tend to find his choices rather hard and his plight pretty sad, I mildly dislike Jaime so I tend to be less compassionate and I won't grant him much slack in his redemption arc because I find it too easy to become more human when you are left almost defenceless by being deprived of what you identified yourself with, that is: battle prowess. Which is unfair of course. Some in that situation would have become even worse than before and whatever the reason he has had a redemption arc which has brought him to make good decisions.

yes i love her chapters in dance too

sure it maybe slowpaced but whose arc is fast paced in feast and dance

i had hard time knowing the names and players in the first read but on the subsequent reads i start to enjoy once became familiar with the new characters

and her arc had not one but two good chapters of the series the daznak and her in dothraki sea

so i will suggest a reread for her chapters if u find them boring on first time

Archived