Why Daemon Blackfyre used Blackfyre as last name, not Targaryen?

purple-eyes

This bothered me a few times. 

Since he was already legitimized by his father and both of his parents are Targs.

Why he used this Blackfyre as his last name? not just Targaryen?

Did he like this sword this much to use it as his new last name?

I assume it had something to do with the fact he held the Valyrian steel sword 'Blackfyre' that many considered was a legitimizing factor, couple that with his pride and bitterness about being a bastard, i.e. feeling himself more worthy and not wanting to share a name with Daeron, but wanting his throne..

Oh, I got it. 

This is for the convenience of readers. If he does not have a easy and short name like "Blackfyre" then we will be completely screwed up to say something like the rebellion of Daemon Targaryen(which Daemon Targ?)......Aegon is the offspring of Daemon Targaryen (the one who rebelled)........etc. etc. 

But thanks for the reply anyway!

Because calling himself Daemon Blackfyre reminds everybody that the king had chosen to give him his sword over his own trueborn son. It reminds everybody that Daemon had Aegon's favor.

Indeed.  Certainly set himself apart from the rest of the bastards.

Only if he was legitimized as a Targaryen. He wasn't, he was legitimized as a Blackfyre.

but "legitimized" means he will be counted as the real son of his father and will be allowed to use his father's family name and have access to other rights and benefits, am I right?

but "legitimized" means he will be counted as the real son of his father and will be allowed to use his father's family name and have access to other rights and benefits, am I right?

Sometimes. It depends on how he is legitimized.

If he would have been legitimized as Daemon Targaryen, then yes. But he wasn't. The Blackfyres are listed as a Cadet house of the Targaryens (like the Karstarks to the Starks).

He was in the line of succession because he did have a Targaryen Father and a Targaryen mother but he is not a Targaryen. At best he would be like a cousin, similar to what Robert Baratheon was to the Targaryens, he would be behind the other Targaryen in line for the Throne but is included.

It is the reason that Ramsey was legitimized as "Ramsey Bolton". the name matters.

Being legitimized give someone rights that a bastard does not have, but unless they are legitimized with the House name they are not part of the house.

This bothered me a few times. 

Since he was already legitimized by his father and both of his parents are Targs.

Why he used this Blackfyre as his last name? not just Targaryen?

Did he like this sword this much to use it as his new last name?

It would be a little confusing to the readers and it sounds cool so the author wrote it that way 

Because he was legitimized as true born (meaning not a bastard) but not as a Targaryen. He was legitimized as a Blackfyre.

Daemon Blackfyre is the founder of House Blackfyre. He can't be legitimized as a Blackfyre when House Blackfyre did not exist before him.

And this ignores the fact that Daemon himself is the one who took the name Blackfyre before he was ever legitimized upon Aegon IV's death

Daemon was the name Daena gave to this child, for Prince Daemon had been the wonder and the terror of his age, and in later days that was seen as a warning of what the boy would become. Daemon Waters was his full name when he was born in 170 AC. At that time, Daena refused to name the father, but even then Aegon's involvement was suspected. Raised at the Red Keep, this handsome youth was given the instruction of the wisest maesters and the best masters-at-arms at court, including Ser Quentyn Ball, the fiery knight called Fireball. He loved nothing better than deeds of arms and excelled at them, and many saw in him a warrior who would one day be another Dragonknight. King Aegon knighted Daemon in his twelfth year when he won a squires' tourney (thereby making him the youngest knight ever made in the time of the Targaryens, surpassing Maegor I) and shocked his court, kin, and council by bestowing upon him the sword of Aegon the Conqueror, Blackfyre, as well as lands and other honors. Daemon took the name Blackfyre thereafter.

Daemon adopted the name Blackfyre when he was 12 after Aegon granted him lands and titles. He wasn't legitimized though until he was 14 when Aegon IV legitimized all of his bastards on his deathbed.

The reign of this unworthy monarch came to an end in 184 AC, when King Aegon was nineand-forty years of age. He was grossly fat, barely able to walk, and some wondered how his last mistressSerenei of Lys, the mother of Shiera Seastarcould ever have withstood his embraces. The king himself died a horrible death, his body so swollen and obese that he could no longer lift himself from his couch, his limbs rotting and crawling with fleshworms. The maesters claimed they had never seen its like, whilst septons declared it a judgment of the gods. Aegon was given milk of the poppy to dull his pain, but elsewise little could be done for him.
His last act before his death, all accounts agree, was to set out his will. And in it, he left the bitterest poison the realm ever knew: he legitimized all of his natural children, from the most baseborn to the Great Bastardsthe sons and daughters born to him by women of noble birth. Scores of his natural children had never been acknowledged; Aegon's dying declaration meant naught to them. For his acknowledged bastards, however, it meant a great deal. And for the realm, it meant blood and fire for five generations.

TL;DR Daemon was granted Aegon's sword, lands, and honors when he was 12. He took the name Blackfyre for his house at that moment. He wasn't legitimized until 2 years later. Therefore he couldn't have been legitimized as a Blackfyre when his name came before his legitimization.

Daemon Blackfyre is the founder of House Blackfyre. He can't be legitimized as a Blackfyre when House Blackfyre did not exist before him.

And this ignores the fact that Daemon himself is the one who took the name Blackfyre before he was ever legitimized upon Aegon IV's death

Daemon adopted the name Blackfyre when he was 12 after Aegon granted him lands and titles. He wasn't legitimized though until he was 14 when Aegon IV legitimized all of his bastards on his deathbed.

TL;DR Daemon was granted Aegon's sword, lands, and honors when he was 12. He took the name Blackfyre for his house at that moment. He wasn't legitimized until 2 years later. Therefore he couldn't have been legitimized as a Blackfyre when his name came before his legitimization.

He took the name Blackfyre before he was legitimized but it was only a nickname at the time.

The legitimization is what created House Blackfyre. You cant have a House as a bastard.

And Daemon was awarded lands and honors... not titles.

"as well as lands and other honors"

He took the name Blackfyre before he was legitimized but it was only a nickname at the time.

The legitimization is what created House Blackfyre. You cant have a House as a bastard.

And Daemon was awarded lands and honors... not titles.

"as well as lands and other honors"

Poor bastard. 

But I think bastard can build a house.

By the way, what is the family name of true born child of a bastard father?

If Jon snow married a Jenny snow lawfully, what is their son's family name? still snow?

Kind of unfair since this son is a true born son in the wedlock. 

Poor bastard. 

But I think bastard can build a house.

By the way, what is the family name of true born child of a bastard father?

If Jon snow married a Jenny snow lawfully, what is their son's family name? still snow?

Kind of unfair since this son is a true born son in the wedlock. 

A bastard's child would not have a last name. Peasants do not have them. A bastard is a child of at least one "nobleman"

A bastard's child would not have a last name. Peasants do not have them. A bastard is a child of at least one "nobleman"

What? so son of Jon Snow and Jenny Snow will be just a Jon, even without Snow?

I am confused here. 

What? so son of Jon Snow and Jenny Snow will be just a Jon, even without Snow?

I am confused here. 

Jon would still be Jon Snow and if his wife if she were a bastard of a Nobleman, she would also be a Snow, but their children would have no last name.

They would not have a "House", otherwise their would a million House Snows in the North.

Now Kings and Lords can award such things, thru service or money (tradesmen or merchants), but otherwise a bastards has little rights

Archived