You're Eddard, what do you do with Lyanna's Bastard

TimJames

Ηe didn't had to come. But he could had arrange for Benjen a secret mistress somewhere and boom Jon. Him being at WF doesn't mean that he couldn't had a mistress who happened to live somewhere else, like a daughter of a merchant or something, and sje gave Jon to Ned. Or maybe even use Wylla as Benjen's mistress and Jon's mother. They had sex and she came back with a child.

yep, like tanselle. She traveled to WF at some time and then Benjen slept with her. 

Then she left and found herself pregnant and had a baby in the south. Of course Ned could bring a baby from south, he can even install Jon somewhere for a while, like Eyie, then send Benjen to the south to pick up his baby.

Ηe didn't had to come. But he could had arrange for Benjen a secret mistress somewhere and boom Jon. Him being at WF doesn't mean that he couldn't had a mistress who happened to live somewhere else, like a daughter of a merchant or something, and sje gave Jon to Ned. Or maybe even use Wylla as Benjen's mistress and Jon's mother. They had sex and she came back with a child.

Simple stories always work better. The convoluted "we slept, then separated half a continent only so she could have a baby, find my brother who would believe what she is saying is true and bringing the child to me" kinda story would have never worked. That is why we have "I slept with her and accepted the bastard" story.

Simple stories always work better. The convoluted "we slept, then separated half a continent only so she could have a baby, find my brother who would believe what she is saying is true and bringing the child to me" kinda story would have never worked. That is why we have "I slept with her and accepted the bastard" story.

As I said Wylla could also been used. 

Part of the reason they were able to keep Jon's parentage a secret was because of how Cat treated him. Not saying it was ideal or morally correct but it ended up helping keep Jon alive.

This, her treatment of Jon gave no one reason to believe he was anything more than Ned's bastard. The fewer lies the better, and the less Cat and/or his children knew the less danger he would be placing them in..

As I said Wylla could also been used. 

Where and when would have they had sex? The entire Wylla thing works also because Ned was in Starfall and in South throughout the period of two years. For that story to work, they would need someone in WF. Again, simple story, much better results.

Where and when would have they had sex? The entire Wylla thing works also because Ned was in Starfall and in South throughout the period of two years. For that story to work, they would need someone in WF. Again, simple story, much better results.

Ned was at Starfall for how long? And after all from what I remember he was there after the war which doesn't give Wylla the time to fake a pregnancy. When Benjen or she could claim that they met when she visited WF....

ita simple stories work better. The story also fits social expectations, which helps. Cat's disappointed, but hardly shocked that Ned's made a bastard, as unfaithful nobles are the rule. People nudge the honorable Ned, and make dirty jokes, but that's about it. It's a bit shocking that he brings the kid to Winterfell to raise with his kids, but even that can be explained: Northerners are different, Ned has a soft spot for kids, etc. It's simple, it's perfect, and Ned wisely keeps it that way.

Ned was at Starfall for how long? And after all from what I remember he was there after the war which doesn't give Wylla the time to fake a pregnancy. When Benjen or she could claim that they met when she visited WF....

It is not that Benjen story wouldn't be possible, but the fact is it would draw too many questions. If something remains mystery, people ask questions. Ned made sure this wasn't a mystery, he turned it into a regular "fathered a bastard" scandal, which everyone accepted. That is why no one ever asked any questions, spare naming Ashara regarding Jon. The story worked like a charm. A much more convoluted story involving Benjen would no where be as successful as this one.

Archived