That Moment Arya Could've Ended the War

Maxxine

Is Arya some random peasant girl or is she the daughter of the Lord Paramount of the North? Bran is YOUNGER and he is able to understand quite well the importance of leadership. People are not calling Arya dumb because she most definitely is not. It was just the overall situation that was handled poorly.

Even daughters of lords paramount are bound to children's normal growth proccess. You'll see that when you have one of your own, as I supose you'll want to insist on this argument although it's not really valid.

But it's plain wrong in-text that Bran understands better. Where do you base this, on proposing the bastard boy for the Hornwood inheritance? That's only based on his love for his own bastard brother and the solution he would like if it was about his own family, and projecting this to the general case. Generalizing from the specific examble, that's normal for their age span, while the oposite (deductive reasoning, use a generalised concept and apply it to the specific case) -what people demand from Arya in the thee wishes problem- is not yet developped, as it starts to develop after the 11 years, around 12 usually.

The author is, I repeat, very consistent in portraying his children POVs, which is admirable as it's quite difficult IMO (though this might change with the elimination of the 5 years gap and we may see the children act more and more as adults). Arya has to see Tywin and Gregor go off to fight her brother (observing the specific) in order to realize that she might have prevented that with her death wishes and come to the conclusion that "these were the men who mattered" (inductive reasoning, resulting to a genralization).

À propos, I am not so certain how many readers would come to question the choices of the character if the author had not drawn attention to them via that same character - the relative lack of questioning Stannis' choices in the very similar situation may attest to that, and to the extreme use of hindsight as a guide to evaluating plot and character arcs.

Is Arya some random peasant girl or is she the daughter of the Lord Paramount of the North? Bran is YOUNGER and he is able to understand quite well the importance of leadership. People are not calling Arya dumb because she most definitely is not. It was just the overall situation that was handled poorly.

It was the Lannisters who attacked her family, killed her father, and are at war with her brother. She is given 3 death wishes to use however she likes and instead of having Tywin Lannister aka leader of the Lannister side of the war killed, she chooses 3 worthless red shirts to die.

The entire situation was basically a bomb ready to explode but instead, it turned out to be a dud. Careless writing.

And you expect a 10 years old who is barely trying to survive in the situations she is, to make some big political move? She chose people who were a danger to her and other people. It was a reckless decision and she completely acknowledges she should have named Tywin instead.. but she most definitely deserves the benefit of doubt, she wasn't exactly sitting on silk cushions.. when you're in the type of situation as dire as Harrenhal, going through trauma and horror, I do expect it to play some part in the decisions you make. It was realistic, imo.

Wasn't Tommen and Joffrey's early death prophesied before Margaery was even born? She's not cursed, her dad's just an idiot for marrying her to these guys.

The deaths were prophesied, true. There was no cause of death in the prophecy, though, and Marg is it. 

The deaths were prophesied, true. There was no cause of death in the prophecy, though, and Marg is it. 

No, I'm pretty sure Stannis, Littlefinger, and fAegon are the ones responsible.

I'm still not sure if you're serious or if we've just been mutually trolling.

No, I'm pretty sure Stannis, Littlefinger, and fAegon are the ones responsible.

I'm still not sure if you're serious or if we've just been mutually trolling.

I'm not entirely serious, but "things" happen around Margaery. Tommen's not likely to live a lot longer, so she'll be three-for-three if that happens. If it does, and Marg also has something to do with Myrcella dying she could qualify as the younger, more beautiful queen, too.

On your earlier statement that Mace is an idiot for marrying Marg to Joff, marrying into the royal family is probably a goal for any noble house. He may be an idiot, but nor for that reason. Plus, it was more likely that Lady Olenna OK'd it, not Mace. 

Archived