I just found confirmation from GRRM about r + l = j.

The Glad King

HI everyone, long time lurker, first time posting. 

I understand that the r + l = j theory is now essentially confirmed as fact from this fanbase (along with myself), but I haven't yet seen anybody mention this interesting piece of evidence that I found: the original outline for the series (which was intended to be a trilogy at the time). From reading it, it is quite visible that the final product deviated considerably from the outline (for example, the outline shows the Lannister as the oyal family, and Jaime becomes king by killing all those ahead of him in the line of succession, framing Tyrion for it). Another rather interesting deviation is that Tyrion ends up sacking and burning Winterfell, forcing Catelyn to escape with Arya and Bran (who appear to be the only Stark children in Winterfell). They then up fleeing to the wall, where Jon, now Lord Commander, has to tell them to fuck off because of his vows (he gave up his family, and can't interfere with the conflicts of the realm). After that, in typical Martin-esque fashion, Jon and Arya end up falling in love (wait, what??) and GRRM says that "Their passion will continue to torment Jon and Arya throughout the trilogy, until the secret of Jon's true parentage is finally revealed in the last book." I mean, what else could he possibly be referring to there? It should also be noted that the first 12 chapters of AGOT were written along with the outline, meaning that Jon's parentage isn't really something he could've modified, most of the evidence being in AGOT. If that doesn't completely confirm the theory, I don't know what else can. 

For anybody interested in reading the outline, this is the link : http://winteriscoming.net/2015/02/05/george-rr-martin-original-game-of-thrones-pitch/. 

150+ threads of R+L=J, and you nailed it in you first thread. Amazing!

HI everyone, long time lurker, first time posting. 

I understand that the r + l = j theory is now essentially confirmed as fact from this fanbase (along with myself), but I haven't yet seen anybody mention this interesting piece of evidence that I found: the original outline for the series (which was intended to be a trilogy at the time). From reading it, it is quite visible that the final product deviated considerably from the outline (for example, the outline shows the Lannister as the oyal family, and Jaime becomes king by killing all those ahead of him in the line of succession, framing Tyrion for it). Another rather interesting deviation is that Tyrion ends up sacking and burning Winterfell, forcing Catelyn to escape with Arya and Bran (who appear to be the only Stark children in Winterfell). They then up fleeing to the wall, where Jon, now Lord Commander, has to tell them to fuck off because of his vows (he gave up his family, and can't interfere with the conflicts of the realm). After that, in typical Martin-esque fashion, Jon and Arya end up falling in love (wait, what??) and GRRM says that "Their passion will continue to torment Jon and Arya throughout the trilogy, until the secret of Jon's true parentage is finally revealed in the last book." I mean, what else could he possibly be referring to there? It should also be noted that the first 12 chapters of AGOT were written along with the outline, meaning that Jon's parentage isn't really something he could've modified, most of the evidence being in AGOT. If that doesn't completely confirm the theory, I don't know what else can. 

For anybody interested in reading the outline, this is the link : http://winteriscoming.net/2015/02/05/george-rr-martin-original-game-of-thrones-pitch/. 

Been there, done that. Not convinced.

This forum runs a few years and the R+L=J thread is nearing its 200th edition. Folks there turned every rock thrice at least. You just found where Others failed? :unsure:

Are you being sarcastic? 

a little bit. Welcome to the forums! (No sarcasm there) 

Been there, done that. Not convinced.

This forum runs a few years and the R+L=J thread is nearing its 200th edition. Folks there turned every rock thrice at least. You just found where Others failed? :unsure:

I for one would hardly call what goes on in the R+L=J thread investigative. Their main objective seems to be to find whatever evidence that they can, no matter how whimsical in nature, to support the idea that Jon Targaryen-Stark is and will be King.

this confirms that at the time that the outline was written, Jon was not Ned's biological son..

I suppose in Westeros society, if Lyanna were Jon's mom, Jon/Arya's passion would no longer have to "torment" them b/c relationships with cousins was totally fine?  But the big reveal could also be that neither Ned or Lyanna are Jon's parents and Arya is not a blood relative at all - based on context of the outline.

I don't think this does anything to support the R+L=J theory.

a little bit. Welcome to the forums! (No sarcasm there) 

I for one would hardly call what goes on in the R+L=J thread investigative. Their main objective seems to be to find whatever evidence that they can, no matter how whimsical in nature, to support the idea that Jon Targaryen-Stark is and will be King.

Don't worry he won't be King in the end.

Archived