WWE Royal Rumble

Jace, Extat

5 hours ago, briantw said:

Was looking for a replay of the Owens/Styles match from Monday and stumbled across this gem:

Proof positive that Kevin Owens has always been amazing.

I was cracking up when he tried to take that old guys cane at ringside. 

4 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

I was cracking up when he tried to take that old guys cane at ringside. 

I love when he did the headlock and threatened to hold it all night, then got pissed at AJ every time he tried to clap with the crowd.  It was also great when he started the "you fucked up" chant at the ref over a disagreement about the three count.

So they decide to turn AJ Styles heel and reunite him with Gallows and Anderson after one week, to now set them against the guy who squashes all pushes, John Cena. As if Reigns and the usos getting the best of them wasn't bad enough...

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

So they decide to turn AJ Styles heel and reunite him with Gallows and Anderson after one week, to now set them against the guy who squashes all pushes, John Cena. As if Reigns and the usos getting the best of them wasn't bad enough...

It wouldn't be the WWE without John Cena giving a hot new talent the ole golden shovel.

12 hours ago, briantw said:

It wouldn't be the WWE without John Cena giving a hot new talent the ole golden shovel.

The Bullet Club is going join the illustrious list of teams buried by John Cena including the Nexus and the Wyatt Family. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those with the wwe network, just a reminder that nxt takeover: the end is on tonight and could be Finn Balors last match before his main roster call up. Pretty decent card overall too, these specials always deliver.

22 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

For those with the wwe network, just a reminder that nxt takeover: the end is on tonight and could be Finn Balors last match before his main roster call up. Pretty decent card overall too, these specials always deliver.

I'm just getting around to watching it now, as my wifi router broke over the weekend (new one arrives today) and I didn't feel like watching it on my PC last night.  Plus, the Cavs/Warriors game was on.  

I enjoyed the Almas/Dillinger match.  It wasn't long, but it had some cool spots and did what it needed to do, which was establish Almas as legit.

• 2 weeks later...

Roman Reigns just got suspended for thirty days for a Wellness Policy violation, and the internet comment sections have been amazingly brutal.  

Some highlights:
"About time he got a positive reaction."
"I'm not a good guy.  I'm not a bad guy.  But I know a guy."
"He never moved the needle.  He just stuck it in his arm instead."
"In one day Roman Reigns granted more wishes than John Cena in his entire career."
"When it Reigns he scores."

When he comes back the chants are going to be so fucking harsh.  I can't wait.

It'll be interesting to see when it eventually leaks just how much this affected the outcome of the main event of MitB (which I thought was a great main event, haven't seen the rest yet). I didn't expect to see him lose until Summerslam at the earliest. 

And yeah, he is going to get so much shit from the crowd, it's gonna be glorious. 

9 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

It'll be interesting to see when it eventually leaks just how much this affected the outcome of the main event of MitB (which I thought was a great main event, haven't seen the rest yet). I didn't expect to see him lose until Summerslam at the earliest. 

And yeah, he is going to get so much shit from the crowd, it's gonna be glorious. 

This definitely has to be why he lost.  I mean, not only did he lose the belt to Rollins, but he lost it clean.  Roman hasn't had a clean loss in like a year.

We also get a month break of JBL's "passionate feeling" line as the Reigns mouthpiece. And Kurt Angle is announcing the batters at the Pirates game I'm watching...

12 hours ago, briantw said:

This definitely has to be why he lost.  I mean, not only did he lose the belt to Rollins, but he lost it clean.  Roman hasn't had a clean loss in like a year.

I was thinking more along the lines of how it might have affected not only the match, but the storyline as a whole. A Shield triple threat match for the belt isn't a Battleground main event, it's a Summerslam match and I wonder if they pushed it up because of this. I was totally shocked that he lost when watching it prior to knowing about the suspension. Now he won't be there for the draft also and he was probably going to be a first selection for either show. It's really gotta be pissing Vince off that his "guy" is out during one of the biggest times for the company with the split coming.

Why would they move the triple threat match up to Battleground because of the suspension? He gets un-suspended just a couple days before Battleground, so no build-up on Raw. Even Lesnar comes in for build-up at Raw before his PPV matches.

It's time for the heel turn for Reigns. I know they think he's the next Cena, but he's really the early version of Rocky Maivia. Let him be the cocky and stoic heel he is built to be. No "chicken-s*** heel" stuff, but maybe some anger issues to fill the heel canvas. If he's got the mic skills, he could eventually be the Rock (spoiler, he doesn't). If he's not the Rock, he's still got the potential to be a beloved badass. "The Guy" is the right play for him, but it's just too forced.

A double-turn would be even more fun. Let Rollins get fed up with the authority and set his own path. He already gets cheers when he fights Roman anyway. Or Rollins could go tweener and let Ambrose be the face? I never thought I'd see a Roddy Piper type as a  face champion.

7 minutes ago, SerPaladin said:

Why would they move the triple threat match up to Battleground because of the suspension? He gets un-suspended just a couple days before Battleground, so no build-up on Raw. Even Lesnar comes in for build-up at Raw before his PPV matches.

I think they plan on not having all three guys on the same show after the brand split, so Battleground is their last chance for a while to do it.  

So which story-lines anchor Raw? I can't believe they would split up the Shield across brands when they have been telegraphing the fact that the Shield guys are Mania main event quality performers. They could run this three way dance for months and months on one brand, let some up and comers into the mix here and there, and cap it off with a big Mania match.

I figure that Raw gets the Shield and SD gets the Cena/Styles feud as their top main event post-draft story-lines. The secondary belts will be split across the two brands, that's also an easy call. Aside from preserving the main event story-lines and splitting the belts, I don't think there is any other wrestler or tag team that "must" be paired with anyone else.

I do think Bray Wyatt stays on Raw. He's got a lot of "entertainment" to his sports entertainment skillset, and if the last split is any indicator, SD will be for the wrestling, Raw will be for the drama. In that vein, I suppose New Day and Enzo & Cass will also stay at Raw.

Here's my totally un-sourced, head-canon fantasy draft (no idea how they'd draft the women):

Raw:

Ambrose

Reigns

Rollins

Bray Wyatt (without two of Harper, Rowan & Strowman)

Rusev (US Champ)

New Day,

Enzo & Cass,

Darren Young

Cesaro

Ziggler

2 NXT call-ups

Lesnar when her returns

Miscellaneous jobbers, cruiserweights

SD:

Cena

Bullet Club (Styles, Gallows, Anderson)

Miz (IC Champ)

Owens

Zayn

Del Rio

Titus ONeill

Usos (to get them out of the Shield picture)

Dudleys

Wyatt Family (without Bray, to let Harper grow)

Baron Corbin

Apollo Crews

The rest of the miscellaneous

From what I've read, Reigns/Rollins was set to be the main feud on Raw and Cena/Styles was the main one on Smackdown following the brand split.  The plans may have changed a bit with Roman getting suspended, though, as I don't think WWE is going to just give him the belt right back.  That would send an awful message to the rest of the locker room.  My guess is that Ambrose takes Reigns' place at the top of Raw (a role he's much better suited for as fans like him) and they send Reigns to Smackdown now to keep the Shield split up until later.  

Another possibility is that they may make the triple threat match at Battleground an elimination match, with the first winner getting the main title for the show he was drafted to and the second winner getting the main belt from the other show.  Let Rollins and Ambrose win and have Roman eat the final pin (if not both).  It's a suitable punishment to him for fucking up and it establishes Rollins and Ambrose as the two main stars of the company.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived