What could have eddard expected if Brandon lived?

Tarellen

Ned would have been expected to have a family of his own, mostly because it is not always 100% assured an older brother lives through battles, through sickness and produces heirs of their own. 

Ned probably would have become Castellian for Brandon or even for Robert. There are plenty of things he could have done to make his fortune. Ned may have even repopulated the gift. 

On 2/5/2016 at 7:29 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

I have run across that theory on numerous forums.  I wonder what hidden powers Jon could have inherited from such a union.  His skinchanging ability would have been concentrated, though he is no Greenseer.  He will not ride dragons but he can skinchange weak minded people, like Sansa and Robyn Arryn.

I don't see why not.  Bran has the greenseer gene.  Brandon + Lyanna should have the genes as well to pass it on to their offspring.

Now, about Brandon.  The boy was trouble.  It's just good luck for the north he didn't live long enough to rule.  Jump forward ten years and assume Rhaegar sits the throne and Brandon rules Winterfell.  You can expect trouble from Brandon as he seems to represent the north's desire for independence.  I just hope they can swallow their pride and come begging to rejoin the kingdom when winter comes. 

On February 8, 2016 at 11:16 PM, redtree said:

I think Brandon would make him lord steward of Winterfell, running the North while Brandon do whatever he'd want to do. He doesn't seem the type who likes to run the administration of a region

So only the income from his job and no income from his own land

On 2/9/2016 at 5:30 PM, King Viserys Targaryen IV said:

It is always good to have friends. lol

Hell, even Robert could have offered him a job at Storm's End.

I guess it all depends on what Brandon would have had in mind for him (whether he needed Ned to serve his family or if he would let Ned go do what ever he wanted to, and if Ned thought that Jon or Robert would have been better to serve than Brandon.

Had Robert's Rebellion never happened and Lyanna married Robert, this is most likely what would have happened. Ned ends up in either Jon or Robert's household. Most likely Robert's, which Rickard would likely think a good thing as it gives Lyanna a stronger tie to the family but also someone to defend her should she need it (like Loras and Margaery), and to protect his the grandson/daughter who will one day be Lord of Storm's End.

1 hour ago, WhitewolfStark said:

Had Robert's Rebellion never happened and Lyanna married Robert, this is most likely what would have happened. Ned ends up in either Jon or Robert's household. Most likely Robert's, which Rickard would likely think a good thing as it gives Lyanna a stronger tie to the family but also someone to defend her should she need it (like Loras and Margaery), and to protect his the grandson/daughter who will one day be Lord of Storm's End.

OK, say this happens...

Does Robert still whore around on Ned's sister with Ned right there?

And does Ned marry a Stormlander girl or a Northerner girl?

And is Stannis an even more sour puss now that he is the second son and is basically out a job because Ned basically took it?

4 hours ago, WhitewolfStark said:

So he gets no income from the family or estates in the north that would support him?

2 hours ago, King Viserys Targaryen IV said:

OK, say this happens...

And is Stannis an even more sour puss now that he is the second son and is basically out a job because Ned basically took it?

Ned's already married to ashara in this scenario.

2 hours ago, King Viserys Targaryen IV said:

OK, say this happens...

You wanna speculate with me? Sure, I'm game. :)

Robert probably has a harder time of it whoring IMO. However I think Robert assumed that he could have as much fun as he wanted before marriage, and likely assumed that after he was be married it'd be all different.

Why not both? Considering his Aunt Branda married a Stormlander House: House Rogers. Ned's most likely got a Stormlander cousin of marriageable age I'd guess.

And most definitely Stannis is bigger sour puss now.

1 minute ago, WhitewolfStark said:

You wanna speculate with me? Sure, I'm game. :)

Robert probably has a harder time of it whoring IMO. However I think Robert assumed that he could have as much fun as he wanted before marriage, and likely assumed that after he was be married it'd be all different.

Why not both? Considering his Aunt Branda married a Stormlander House: House Rogers. Ned's most likely got a Stormlander cousin of marriageable age I'd guess.

And most definitely Stannis is bigger sour puss now.

Man the Starks do like their cousins don't they?

Sour Puss Stannis is my favorite Stannis!

Archived