What could have eddard expected if Brandon lived?

Tarellen

So let's say that Rickard and Brandon's exacuation never happened. Brandon marries cat as expected of him but eddard marries ashara dayne because to do right by her after he got her pregnant. So rickard dies a natrual death and Brandon according to westori law inherites the bulk of the estate. But what does eddard get? A ring a few tapestrys a lot of silver and a job from his brother? Or does he get a nice castle and a score of big fat manors to support himself and highborn wife?

(Not sure where you got Eddard got Ashra pregnant, but what ever)

Part of it depends on when Rickard dies, does Rickard allow Ned to marry whoever he wants or does he have a plan for him. Same with Brandon, until Brandon has a child (maybe even a male child) Eddard is Brandon's heir.

The North is huge and it looks like the Starks have played around with the idea that the Gift should be repopulated, so maybe he gets a hold in the Gift and marries a Northern Bannerman's daughter?

Maybe he joins the Night's Watch like Benjen did?

They would have to kill Ashara's eldest brother first.
arthur dayne? he gave up his rights with the white cloak of the kings guard

No, her eldest brother. Arthur was not her eldest brother. The father of Edric Dayne. (Or sister, I don't know. The Daynes are Stone Dornish, I don't know if they practice cognate genderblind primogeniture) anyway, her eldest sibling.

(Not sure where you got Eddard got Ashra pregnant, but what ever)

Part of it depends on when Rickard dies, does Rickard allow Ned to marry whoever he wants or does he have a plan for him. Same with Brandon, until Brandon has a child (maybe even a male child) Eddard is Brandon's heir.

The North is huge and it looks like the Starks have played around with the idea that the Gift should be repopulated, so maybe he gets a hold in the Gift and marries a Northern Bannerman's daughter?

Maybe he joins the Night's Watch like Benjen did?

Hm, the sides make it obviously clear Ned and Ashara were infatuated to each other, Ashara appears with a child latter and when she finds Ned is married she kills herself. Never mind there is a huge chance the child is Jon. Even the people who believe in other theories accept it as a possibility, saying it is a red herring. Even then, it is perfectly reasonable to believe Ashara and Ned had sex and had a child.

23 minutes ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

arthur dayne? he gave up his rights with the white cloak of the kings guard

No, her eldest brother. Arthur was not her eldest brother. The father of Edric Dayne. (Or sister, I don't know. The Daynes are Stone Dornish, I don't know if they practice cognate genderblind primogeniture) anyway, her eldest sibling.

That is little Ned's father. Ned Stark can not take Starfall.

I think Ned will more likely stay in North to serve his brother just like Kevan. Or maybe go to Eyrie to work with Jon Arryn?

Maybe he will get a castle somewhere if brandon is generous.

But anyway, I think Ned would be happy to have the most beautiful woman in the realm as his wife.

He just needs to make sure brandon would not have improper interest in Ashara.

29 minutes ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

A keep, most likely, maybe a farm. He would end working for Brandon, as a commander of troops or castellan.

Really that little. A keep and a farm. When the Starks stop being kings did they take that as an excuse to be stingy in surporting there younger brothers? Because I don't see the brother of kings settling for just a keep and a farm. Hell my first option of a ring a few tapastrys, and a lot of silver seems more apeling.

A keep, most likely, maybe a farm. He would end working for Brandon, as a commander of troops or castellan.

Really that little. A keep and a farm. When the Starks stop being kings did they take that as an excuse to be stingy in surporting there younger brothers? Because I don't see the brother of kings settling for just a keep and a farm. Hell my first option of a ring a few tapastrys, and a lot of silver seems more apeling.

Some money, yes. But remember, if you give too much you are probably helping a possible pretender.

1 minute ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

Some money, yes. But remember, if you give too much you are probably helping a possible pretender.

Actually Maekar is the only Targ Prince who got a castle, by the way, not much lands there.

And Daeron gave Daemon some lands, which was thought very surprising.

Other than this, no targ prince got lands and castles in 300 years. (except the crown princes got dragonstone)

Daemon, the only brother of Viserys I, had to go to his wife's place to stay.

Actually Maekar is the only Targ Prince who got a castle, by the way, not much lands there.

Other than this, no targ prince got lands and castles in 300 years. (except the crown princes got dragonstone)

How many Targaryen princes were left? Most of them died, fled, joined a celibate order… Targaryens were never good with loose ends.

7 minutes ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

But weren't most real life medieval kings expected to give there younger sons and brothers significant estates? Or at least the ones that don't go cellabit? Sure it gives chance for pretenders but isn't it better to give your brothers land so they stay loyal to you?

But weren't most real life medieval kings expected to give there younger sons and brothers significant estates? Or at least the ones that don't go cellabit? Sure it gives chance for pretenders but isn't it better to give your brothers land so they stay loyal to you?

Yes, that's what I said. A farm, a keep, a job as advisor. Not nothing, but not too much.

8 minutes ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

How many Targaryen princes were left? Most of them died, fled, joined a celibate order… Targaryens were never good with loose ends.

Yeah, but still many of them lived for quite some years.

For example, Maegor should get some lands as only brother, then we have those children of Jaehaerys. Daemon. viserys II, sons of Daeron, sons of maekar, sons of Egg, etc.

It looks like they all live in court and do not want to have a separate castle to rule.

If he's got Ashara Dayne what else does he need!? Amirite fellas, amirite!

Kidding aside, I hope for Ned's sake that she wouldn't become too accustomed to the finer things in life like Lynesse Hightower did. It would be interesting to see how a man like Ned would deal with a situation like that. I highly doubt he'd be caught selling slaves... but what would he do?

Maybe he would first work for Jon Arryn or even Robert. Bobby sure would love to have Ned close. If Ned didn't marry Ashara, Robert maybe would even try to set him up with a Stormland heiress. Or he finds an heiress in the Vale, so that Ned can keep the good relationships and alliances safe.

Archived