Sandor Clegane as Azor Ahai

shizett

I did a search and found this theory had been discussed before, it just was for a different reason. So I thought I'd share my own crackpot theory:

Short version: Hound is Azor Ahai, Sansa is the bleeding Star and Nissa Nissa, and he was born again in Blackwater during Unkiss.

Azor Ahai prophecy according to Mel:

When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.(aSOS, Davos III)

Now let's look at Sansa's chapter about the war of blackwater:

Turning back to the stair, Sansa climbed. The smoke blotted out the stars and the thin crescent of moon, so the roof was dark and thick with shadows. (aCOK, Sansa IV)

A stab went through her, so sharp that Sansa sobbed and clutched at her belly. (aCOK, Sansa IV)

The pain is because she is having her first period during that night, so she is bleeding. She also has Tully red hair. This would make Sansa the "Red Bleeding Star". The blacked out sky (which is in the night) by smoke denotes the gathering of darkness.

(This part of very speculative of course, read as crackpot ) There is no direct link between Sansa and star, but, Varys says this about the red comet:

"In the streets, they call it the Red Messenger," Varys said. "They say it comes as a herald before a king, to warn of fire and blood to follow." (aCOK, Tyrion I)

Sansa acted as the Red Messenger (notice the red again, she has red hair) when she went to Cersei, wrote the letters to Rob and other Kings, and when she went to Eyrie after Joff's death (which led to killing of Lysa, Tywin, Shae, and the start of Cersei reign and Sparrows ascent to power). I think most people take this to point to Young Griff, but maybe it just explains a symbol. So she is symbolically the "Red Star".

As for the rest, it is very clear. The air is full of smoke specially where Hound is coming from and where Sansa touches his face after her song, he is crying:

Some instinct made her lift her hand and cup his cheek with her fingers. The room was too dark for her to see him, but she could feel the stickiness of the blood, and a wetness that was not blood. (aCOK, Sansa VII)

He does change after that incident: he leaves Joff's service and becomes his own man and does some good.

I have no theory about the waking of dragons out of stone. It might have to do with him and greyscale at some point in story. I am really open to suggestions.

Anyways, I put him as an AA figure, in the sense that I am not sure if he is THE AA, if such a person exists, but could be one. Also that situation with Sansa seems to be very important, we are reminded of it both in Sansa's Unkiss memory and Hounds memory later.

I am not sure if the two stories we hear about Azor Ahai are connected, Mel is the only one who works with the definition of being born again from salt and smoke, so they might be two stories who got merged as one. But, if AA needs a Nissa Nissa, for Hound it would be either Sansa or his brother, Gregor.

Ser Gregor is already dead and even if Robert Strong is Ser Gregor, he is not alive and Nissa Nissa is supposed to be warm to give her warmth to the blade as in this quote, this is the reason M.Aemon think Stannis is not AA cause his blade is not hot:

I looked at that book Maester Aemon left me. The Jade Compendium. The pages that told of Azor Ahai. Lightbringer was his sword. Tempered with his wife's blood if Votar can be believed. Thereafter Lightbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm. In battle the blade burned fiery hot. Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame. (aDWD, Jon III)

That would leave Sansa as his Nissa Nisaa which is also poetic as she is the reason he was born again.

What do you think?

4 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

I think Sandor's story is complete in is now living a peaceful life on quiet isle, attempting to bury his "Hound" persona and redeem himself.  I don't expect to see Sandor any further in the story, unfortunately.

I don't believe Sandor is Azor Ahai reborn, but I do think we'll see him again...

Near the kennels a group of men-at-arms were fighting a pair of dogs. Tyrion stopped long enough to see the smaller dog tear half the face off the larger one, and earned a few coarse laughs by observing that the loser now resembled Sandor Clegane.

Tyrion II, Storm

I suppose this foreshadows the eventual showdown between the brothers Clegane. It looks like Sandor will lose, but perhaps expose Gregor for the undead monster thst he has become...

And there is this where Sandor tells us about his intention to kill Gregor...

"Gregor never knew what he had, did he? He couldn't have, or he would have dragged you back kicking and screaming to King's Landing and dumped you in Cersei's lap. Oh, that's bloody sweet. I'll be sure and tell him that, before I cut his heart out."

Arya IX, Storm

UnGregor will slay Sandor because Sandor has no intention of killing his brother and thus he will lose the eventual showdown...

It all happened so fast. The Knight of Flowers was shouting for his own sword as Ser Gregor knocked his squire aside and made a grab for the reins of his horse. The mare scented blood and reared. Loras Tyrell kept his seat, but barely. Ser Gregor swung his sword, a savage two-handed blow that took the boy in the chest and knocked him from the saddle. The courser dashed away in panic as Ser Loras lay stunned in the dirt. But as Gregor lifted his sword for the killing blow, a rasping voice warned, "Leave him be," and a steel-clad hand wrenched him away from the boy.

The Mountain pivoted in wordless fury, swinging his longsword in a killing arc with all his massive strength behind it, but the Hound caught the blow and turned it, and for what seemed an eternity the two brothers stood hammering at each other as a dazed Loras Tyrell was helped to safety. Thrice Ned saw Ser Gregor aim savage blows at the hound's-head helmet, yet not once did Sandor send a cut at his brother's unprotected face.

It was the king's voice that put an end to it . . . the king's voice and twenty swords. Jon Arryn had told them that a commander needs a good battlefield voice, and Robert had proved the truth of that on the Trident. He used that voice now. "STOP THIS MADNESS," he boomed, "IN THE NAME OF YOUR KING!"

The Hound went to one knee. Ser Gregor's blow cut air, and at last he came to his senses. He dropped his sword and glared at Robert, surrounded by his Kingsguard and a dozen other knights and guardsmen. Wordlessly, he turned and strode off, shoving past Barristan Selmy. "Let him go," Robert said, and as quickly as that, it was over.

Eddard VII, Game

Sandor actively avoided trying to kill his brother at his own peril in Eddard VII, Game. He expressed an intention to kill his brother in Arya IX, Storm. But nothing changed in their relation in the interim. Sandor jad no more reason to kill Gregor than when he actively avoided trying to kill his brother.

12 minutes ago, Darkbringer said:

Well it may explain why Rhillor granted him victory against Beric, if you believe in that sort of thing.

I don't really even believe in the Azor Ahai prophecy, just liked the similarity. It seems pretty farfetched apparently, not many are commenting.

And you are right, he was granted freedom from Beric. It just goes with the name: Azor (helper) Ahai (favoured by God). There is even a passage when Arya is asking why her prayes haven't ended in Sandor's dying:

Arya could only think of Mycah and all the stupid prayers she'd prayed for the Hound to die. If there were gods, why didn't Lord Beric win? She knew the Hound was guilty.  (aCOK, Arya VI)

Archived