Theory: Robert Baratheon is alive

TerrorVoid

20 hours ago, TerrorVoid said:

Okay, from reread of the books, comparison of facts and a search for reasonable explanations this theory was born.

Robert is alive and well continuing his Game of Thrones.
Since he was simple man with simple motivation and wishes, we would easily track his way.

Yes, Strong Belwas if Robert Baratheon. They share the same constitution. They are both capable fighters, who allow their opponent to wound them, before beating them. Both are served by Barristan Selmy (one would imagine, why would Barristan squire some pit fighter). Even in pit of Daznak Belwas mentions how one should be fighting boars. Belwas lives the life of Robert's dreams, fighting and feasting in Essos.

TerrorVoid, I applaud your going out on a limb and sharing something fresh here - there aren't a lot of startling new ideas in this forum, so it's fun and intriguing to find someone has discovered a fresh approach.

One of the great things about these books is that two or more characters can share an archetype: both Ilyn Payne and The Hound share aspects of The Stranger; Sansa and Margaery and Brienne share aspects of the Maiden, etc.

So even if Strong Belwas is not literally Robert Baratheon in disguise, I think you may have uncovered a previously undiscovered important archetype in the series. Or, who knows? Maybe an examination of details would connect this character to Lord Beric Dondarrion, an unkillable warrior who remains loyal to the mission given him by Robert Baratheon's Hand of the King, even after death.

Robert Baratheon tells Ned that he never felt so alive as when he was winning the throne, and never so dead as after he gained it. Symbolically, Robert "comes alive" again when he can be part of the fight to take the Iron Throne again. So maybe this archetype will be found near people who are trying to win a throne - that would explain why Strong Belwas has attached himself to Dany's inner circle.

On my first reading of your OP, in fact, I immediately thought you were going to connect this theory to Ser Robert Strong, the (apparent) Frankenstein monster that Qyburn created with Cersei's help. Although you didn't mention him, I think he is certainly part of the same symbolic character type. The name certainly would hint at a connection to both Robert Baratheon and Strong Belwas. We have seen Cersei trying to "become" Robert when she is in bed with Lady Merryweather, wondering what it would feel like to inflict rough sex on her bedwarmer. Not long after this, Qyburn reveals Robert Strong, who will apparently serve as Cersei's "Trial by Combat" stand-in.

There is a very interesting pattern at work here, and it will be fun to explore it. Thanks again for an original theory.

13 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I'm literally disappointed.  I really thought you'd do what I rose above.

Haha!  Me too.  When I first read the OP instantly thought he'd would have a ball with this.

15 hours ago, Dorian Martell said:

Don't lie 

You feeling ok?

I must say, it is one of the more original theories I've seen in here in a while. It has to be commended for that.

However, I think it falls on one major point: Belwas has a backstory. He demonstrates experience as a pit fighter, and is a renowned wielder of an arakh. That's a completely different fighting style than Robert Baratheon ever used. It is even mentioned that Robert only ever used one blade: a hunting knife given to him by Jon Arryn.

I can't remember if it is mentioned if Belwas speaks the language of Slavers' Bay, but he ends up in a few situations where he probably wouldn't have succeeded (or reacted the way he did) had he not understood the language. A lord from the Stormlands, who appears not to be very bright, wouldn't have learned that language well enough to speak it without a noticeable accent.

I also don't think his many criss-crossing belly scars could possibly disguise the crater-like would left after being gored by a boar. Ned saw (and smelled) Robert's wound, which indicates it was infected, or his intestines were ruptured. Had Belwas ever gotten such a wound, it would have been the first thing to note about his appearance.

It is enjoyable as far as theories go, but unfortunately not very plausible.

I discovered the books shortly after A Dance With Dragons was released.  This site was full of well reasoned theories back then.  Granted, there were some tin foil / crack pot ideas as well.  Now, most theories on this site are simply evidence of how damn bored we all are and that we desperately need some new material to digest.  We got some minor fixes with The Princess and the Queen and the World Book, but it looks like people are feening big time now days.

Bob is dead.

15 hours ago, Eli Stark said:

I discovered the books shortly after A Dance With Dragons was released.  This site was full of well reasoned theories back then.  Granted, there were some tin foil / crack pot ideas as well.  Now, most theories on this site are simply evidence of how damn bored we all are and that we desperately need some new material to digest.  We got some minor fixes with The Princess and the Queen and the World Book, but it looks like people are feening big time now days.

Bob is dead.

Agree.

On 14/04/2016 at 9:42 PM, Eli Stark said:

Bob is dead.

Completely agree: we need fresh material; there's only so long we can get by with rehashes and complaining about the show.

On 4/14/2016 at 1:42 PM, Eli Stark said:

Bob is dead.

8 hours ago, ȘâcâL said:

Agree.

29 minutes ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Completely agree: we need fresh material; there's only so long we can get by with rehashes and complaining about the show.

It is nice to see other folks saying the same thing 

Archived