War = Slaughtering Peasants?

AnarchoPrimitiv

On 2016-05-08 at 3:44 PM, Bluesnow said:

I also have a history back round and I thought the same thing reading it. 
Historically civilians being a target is a more modern notion. Its purpose has been psychologically hurting a nations will to continue, hurting  their ability to keep the cogs in the machine going that fuel the war, a result of flying/bombs more far reaching powerful weapons, and a result of guerrilla warfare where the civilians and militants intermingle. 

Most of these are completely irrelevant though xD
We just got some crazy generals with some intense bloodlust. 
In the riverlands the brotherhood without banners are acting somewhat in a guerrilla ware fare type manner.... but I think that was the response to the rape and murder- not what caused it. 

I always felt that what happened to Arya made more sense- she was taken more or less as a slave to work in their camp by Gregor's camp. Getting the small folk to work for you seems like a better idea that torturing and murdering every last one. But the people doing the killing aren't exactly the smartest. 

I think you should tell a multitude of nations facing the ancient Assyrians, the Arabs facing the Mongols, the French during the Hundred Year's War, the Germans during the Thirty Years' War and so on, that historically civilians were not really targeted during wars, historically.

Killing civlians have to my knowledge pretty much always been a part of warfare as war is the organization of brutality and violence, and these two are not pleasent or nice things when put into practice, even less so on a massive scale.

18 hours ago, Drekinn said:

I recommend you to read Chinese history. Many events and historical figures are ripped from the books, sort of speak. Political intrigues, nobility civil wars, incest, bloody dinners, scheming eunuchs (literally), and so on. And many times towns, villages were razed and it's citizens executed en masse for being ruled by the wrong side. See also mercenary groups pillaging small settlements ending in bloody results.

links?

OP says he has a degree in history, I'm curious which particular era and geographical location? 

Martin doesn't do direct parallels with real world history, and Westeros isn't meant to be England from 1455 to 1485. He cherrypicks from just about everyone, from ancient Egypt to Civil War America to build his world.

The idea that peasants weren't targeted is wrong, they most certainly were. It wasn't always for one singular reason. Sometimes its just easier to massacre people who can't fight back, other times its a very targeted and direct assault on a country's ability to make war. It also depends on how broad of a scale we're talking about. Did English Lords and Commanders go out of their way to wage a Tywin-style campaign of violence on the French population during the hundred years war? That's certainly up for debate. But I am absolutely sure there were cases of roaming bands of armed soldiers causing devastation to innocent peasants, in a manner similar to Ser Gregor and his crew.

3 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

links?

Don't have any but I can pinpoint some events:

The Warring States Period

The reign of Wang Mang

The War between the Han Dynasty and the Xiongnu

The whole Three Kingdoms period

War of the eight princes

Archived