Who is going to be 1000th Lord Commander of NW?

Fearodh

I really like the idea it'll be Jorah. Perhaps Dany will flat out tell him he needs to atone, I dunno. 

I think Davos is a strong candidate. If Faegon takes the Stormlands and Stannis inevitably dies then Davos may have no lands or sons or wives or King to come before any vows. 

There's been a massive shake-up at the Wall so I suppose there's a ton of ppl it could be.

I get the impression that the entire NW will suffer from Jon's stabbing. It makes the order seem weak and treacherous in a land that didn't exactly support them to begin with. We have people loyal to Jon and perhaps by extension Stark who'll be pissed. Any man or woman in service to Frey or Bolton will be less than impressed with basically EVERYTHING the watch has been up to. The FreeFolk won't take kindly to having their leader betrayed. Stannis if he did survive will be Stannis about the whole thing. 

I guess what I'm poking at is the notion that there may be no 1000th LC of the NW as the NW may no longer exist. It was a broken and backwards attempt at defending the realm and the only thing that truly stopped anyone was the Wall itself and Stannis' cavalry.
I imagine a future where the Freefolk occupy the wall (if there is one) and the gift, at least, that's what I want to happen.  

I feel like a lot of this thread is being unduly influenced by the events of the show.  Let's break down the contenders:

Leaders:

Jon Snow (Castle Black) - temporarily ghosted.

Cotter Pyke (Eastwatch) - probably dead at Hardhome

Denys Mallister (Shadow Tower) - opposing the Weeper at the Bridge of Skulls

Iron Emmett (Long Barrow) - getting his freak on with a spearwife or two

[unnamed steward from the Shadow Tower] (Greyguard) - enough said.

Seconds-in-command:

Glendon Hewett (Eastwatch) - has command of Eastwatch while Cotter Pyke is at Hardhome.  He's a dick.

Dolorous Edd (Long Barrow) - no one takes him seriously.  I get the textual evidence, but I could only see this happening if Iron Emmett bites it.

Bowen Marsh - Brutus

Othel Yarwyck - Cassius

Ulmer of the Kingswood Brotherhood - he's probably the defacto acting first ranger at this point, honestly, with Benjen missing and Jaremy Rykker, Thoren Smallwood, and Black Jack Bulwer all dead.  Jon gave him command of the wall when the Wildlings passed through.  Honestly the NW could do worse, of the men currently at Castle Black at Jon's death.  

Other notable men:

Alliser Thorne - he's out ranging, and may or may not ever come back.  He's also extremely unpopular, so much so that he dropped out of the last vote very early.  Anyone who thinks he'd be popular enough to win the LC spot has just been unduly influenced by the show, where Thorne is just a very different character (albeit a more compelling one).

Dywen - also out ranging.

Pyp, Grenn, Toad, Halder - Pyp and Grenn are at Eastwatch, Toad and Halder at the Shadow Tower.  They are good and loyal friends to Jon, but not leaders in their own right.  They might lead pro-Jon forces in any civil war that breaks out over the assassination, but none of them would seem to be serious contenders for the top spot.  Grenn would be the most qualified, as one of the few men who returned from the Fist of the First Men and, I believe, played a bit of a leadership role in the Battle of Castle Black.  

Leathers - No one will put a former wildling in charge of the watch.  At least not until the pro-Jon, pro-wildling side wins a civil war, and leathers becomes a symbolic unity pick to bring the 2 sides together.

Hobb - I think he's actually the only man who 1) received votes in the last election, 2) is currently alive and at castle black, and 3) didn't assassinate Jon.  

So, those are the options.  I did not include guys lower down on the totem pole (Horse, Mully, Owen the Oaf, Satin, etc) for obvious reasons.  I imagine Bowen Marsh will seize control of Castle Black in the immediate aftermath of Jon's death.  After that, it sort of depends how the news spreads across the wall.  The best pro-Jon choice would be Iron Emmett, although he is too competent to survive for much longer; the most likely anti-Jon choice, after the mutineers, would probably be Glendon Hewett.  

2 hours ago, estermonty python said:

I feel like a lot of this thread is being unduly influenced by the events of the show.  Let's break down the contenders:

Dolorous Edd (Long Barrow) - no one takes him seriously.  I get the textual evidence, but I could only see this happening if Iron Emmett bites it.

the theory on Edd being the next LC exists since long before the tv show made him LC.

i get the one by one analysis. but textual evidence is more important IMHO. As you say, Iron Emmett could just die in the fight against the mutineers.

And since the weeper will probably take the Shadow tower (killing many of the characters we know)...and Cotter pyke will die in hardhome..

well... there arent many brothers with sufficient text exposure. the Next LC, can´t be some unknown guy. Edd has been around since ACOK

Grenn and Pyp.. if they were sent to East Watch, are they part of the hardhome mission?

51 minutes ago, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

the theory on Edd being the next LC exists since long before the tv show made him LC.

i get the one by one analysis. but textual evidence is more important IMHO. As you say, Iron Emmett could just die in the fight against the mutineers.

And since the weeper will probably take the Shadow tower (killing many of the characters we know)...and Cotter pyke will die in hardhome..

well... there arent many brothers with sufficient text exposure. the Next LC, can´t be some unknown guy. Edd has been around since ACOK

Grenn and Pyp.. if they were sent to East Watch, are they part of the hardhome mission?

Fair enough.  And I agree that hints in the text are the most important thing.  I was more referring to the posts theorizing that Thorne could ever be elected LC.

If you really pressed me on it, I'd say I probably agree with Ed as LC by the end, based primarily on the hints that have already been mentioned.  I was more making the point that, as of where we are right now in the story, he's nowhere near the most qualified or most likely candidate to be selected.

On another note, taking stock of the locations of the known Nights Watch characters really highlights how profoundly stupid Jon was to send basically every capable, loyal friend he has away from Castle Black.  

999 - Bowen Marsh/Denys Mallister 

1000 - Denys Mallister/Jon Snow/Theon Greyjoy/Jaime Lannister/Stannis Baratheon/Mance Rayder/BenjenStark/Jorah Mormont/Bran Stark

Did I miss anyone? :)

ETA: Clearly I missed a lot of people.

Added Denys Mallister as 999 because whoever seizes control after Jon's death will not be really LC, because LC has to elected by voting

1 hour ago, Hos the Hostage said:

999 - Bowen Marsh/Denys Mallister 

1000 - Denys Mallister/Jon Snow/Theon Greyjoy/Jaime Lannister/Stannis Baratheon/Mance Rayder/BenjenStark/Jorah Mormont/Bran Stark

Did I miss anyone? :)

ETA: Clearly I missed a lot of people.

Added Denys Mallister as 999 because whoever seizes control after Jon's death will not be really LC, because LC has to elected by voting

You forgot Lord Commander Hodor

Archived