Could wildfire destroy valyrian steel?

Sir Bronn

I'd say no, because dragonflame doesn't. Wildfire is called a "close cousin" of dragonflame, but I get the impression that dragonflame is hotter. We don't here of wildfire melting stone. 

Right, but Lamentation is destroyed in the Dragon Pit.   I've assumed it was indeed the dragon fire that destroyed it, though destroyed is a little ambiguous here.   Melted might be more accurate.   What fire did Tobho Mot use to melt Ice?   Again, I assumed it was wildfire, but I'm making a lot of assumptions.   My thinking is that if dragon fire is the type and range of fire required to aggregate all the constituents of Valyrian Steel it would stand up to regular fire. It stands to reason that dragon and wild fire are both magical and that only magical fire could destroy or melt a magical sword.   That is of course if Lamentation was actually melted rather than chopped into little pieces or trampled so much that it became steel on the soles of the feet of the participants of the storming of the Dragon Pits.   I just can't imagine any other way it would have been destroyed.   

It can probably melt it, we know regular fire can be used to reshape valyrian steel (Ice to two swords), so wildfire might destroy Valyrian steel. But it is also true that only select artisans can reshape valyrian steel, it can either be that other smiths can't melt it, or (what I think is more likely) by melting it cause it to loose it's quality.

15 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Right, but Lamentation is destroyed in the Dragon Pit.   I've assumed it was indeed the dragon fire that destroyed it, though destroyed is a little ambiguous here.   Melted might be more accurate.   What fire did Tobho Mot use to melt Ice?   Again, I assumed it was wildfire, but I'm making a lot of assumptions.   My thinking is that if dragon fire is the type and range of fire required to aggregate all the constituents of Valyrian Steel it would stand up to regular fire. It stands to reason that dragon and wild fire are both magical and that only magical fire could destroy or melt a magical sword.   That is of course if Lamentation was actually melted rather than chopped into little pieces or trampled so much that it became steel on the soles of the feet of the participants of the storming of the Dragon Pits.   I just can't imagine any other way it would have been destroyed.   

Unless I'm mistaken we're told Lamentation is lost, not that it was necessarily destroyed. It could have been buried by rubble or stolen. Now that you mention it I do think Tobho probably used wildfire to reforge ice, but also spells he learned in Qohor.

I think it was the Sons of the Dragon reading where it was stated that Blackfyre was in Aegon I's hands when he was cremated by dragonfire, but the blade was undamaged because it was Valyrian steel. 

57 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Unless I'm mistaken we're told Lamentation is lost, not that it was necessarily destroyed. It could have been buried by rubble or stolen. Now that you mention it I do think Tobho probably used wildfire to reforge ice, but also spells he learned in Qohor.

I think it was the Sons of the Dragon reading where it was stated that Blackfyre was in Aegon I's hands when he was cremated by dragonfire, but the blade was undamaged because it was Valyrian steel. 

No you are 100% right.   We are told Lamentation and Bright Roar are lost as opposed to the other swords (Blackfyre, Dark Sister...) which have some description of their last known whereabouts.   I took the particular use of lost in this case to mean gone forever.   And again I assume Lamentation was destroyed in the Dragon Pit.   I'm certain there are 2 passages to back up your suspicion of Tobho Mot using spells, but I don't recall if the type of fire used is mentioned anywhere.  

That's an interesting factoid about Blackfyre.   Curious that dragon fire wouldn't damage the sword.    

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

No you are 100% right.   We are told Lamentation and Bright Roar are lost as opposed to the other swords (Blackfyre, Dark Sister...) which have some description of their last known whereabouts.   I took the particular use of lost in this case to mean gone forever.   And again I assume Lamentation was destroyed in the Dragon Pit.   I'm certain there are 2 passages to back up your suspicion of Tobho Mot using spells, but I don't recall if the type of fire used is mentioned anywhere.  

That's an interesting factoid about Blackfyre.   Curious that dragon fire wouldn't damage the sword.    

Maybe it was known that Aegon was cremated with Blackfyre in the same way that Stannis' followers saw him pull Lightbringer from The Mother's chest in the first Davos chapter.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived