petty Jojen gripe

YOVMO

Ok, in the frakin Nightfort. "This seems an old place" --JoJen. 

Really Jojen? It seems an old place? The Nightfort? You get that from one of those helpful green dreams of yours? You know, like the one that said the people in Winterfell would literally drown. It seems old? The first castle on the wall? The Nightfort? Yes Jojen, yes, it is an old place. smh.

Sorry /rant over

4 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

That Jojen, wise beyond his years. A funny, and yeah petty, but very funny rant, I like. :lmao: 

Sometimes I wonder if stuff like this is GRRM getting lazy or GRRM giving a little gift to the people that pay attention. I swear I change my mind about which it is depending on my mood

11 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

Sometimes I wonder if stuff like this is GRRM getting lazy or GRRM giving a little gift to the people that pay attention. I swear I change my mind about which it is depending on my mood

Well, as my member title would indicate, I'm honor bound and sworn to defend this obscene assertion that GRRM is getting lazy. That is definitely not the case. The George is an overly generous writer, and always gifting his astute readers.

...but yeah, that seems like it might have just been an oversight on his part.

13 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Well, as my member title would indicate, I'm honor bound and sworn to defend this obscene assertion that GRRM is getting lazy. That is definitely not the case. The George is an overly generous writer, and always gifting his astute readers.

...but yeah, that seems like it might have just been an oversight on his part.

Member Title? Sounds like Tormund if he was forced to work an office job :) 

i dont int think he is getting lazy either but sometimes, like all true believers, I have a crises of faith.

little grandfather. Yeah. Because he is freaking senile.

33 minutes ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

"No shit" was my exact thought while reading this. 

neary 10k years since Brandon the Builder has been considered "contemporary architecture"

i want to go to Egypt and stand on the pyramid and say "this seems an old place"

39 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

Member Title? Sounds like Tormund if he was forced to work an office job :) 

I don't think Tormund would tolerate be stuck in your average dead-end office job though, I'm sure he would rise up, and become a VIP member.

1 minute ago, Darkstream said:

I don't think Tormund would tolerate be stuck in your average dead-end office job though, I'm sure he would rise up, and become a VIP member.

CMO chief member officer 

I know people hate me for stuff like this, but I think that line might be wordplay - a pun.

The Nightfort is supposed to be compared Winterfell.

Definition of fell

1. a :  to cut, knock, or bring down <fell a tree> b :  kill

2.  :  to sew (a seam) by folding one raw edge under the other and sewing flat on the wrong side

Jojen uses the word "seems" and the line as a whole is telling us that the Nightfort, or maybe the Wall as a whole, is a seam that joins south of the Wall to an old place. Winterfell is probably also a seam that joins two places.

I did not know about this meaning of "fell" when I chose my username, but I was pleased to discover it. I did recognize that there was a sewing motif in the books (e.g., Arya's sword) and have long suspected that sewing represents holding the seven kingdoms together. Sometimes tearing fabric also seems to be constructive or necessary, so I'm not 100% certain of all the interpretations.

While we're at the Wall, though, I would say that the weeping that people observe at the Wall is foreshadowing. Weeping involves "tears" and that is another sewing-related pun - tears are the liquid that comes from your eyes when you are emotional, but a different pronunciation gives us the tearing of fabric or paper. The opposite of sewing.

But I may be wrong.

Jojen = Hallis Mollen confirmed.

4 hours ago, Seams said:

I know people hate me for stuff like this, but I think that line might be wordplay - a pun.

The Nightfort is supposed to be compared Winterfell.

Definition of fell

1. a :  to cut, knock, or bring down <fell a tree> b :  kill

2.  :  to sew (a seam) by folding one raw edge under the other and sewing flat on the wrong side

Jojen uses the word "seems" and the line as a whole is telling us that the Nightfort, or maybe the Wall as a whole, is a seam that joins south of the Wall to an old place. Winterfell is probably also a seam that joins two places.

I did not know about this meaning of "fell" when I chose my username, but I was pleased to discover it. I did recognize that there was a sewing motif in the books (e.g., Arya's sword) and have long suspected that sewing represents holding the seven kingdoms together. Sometimes tearing fabric also seems to be constructive or necessary, so I'm not 100% certain of all the interpretations.

While we're at the Wall, though, I would say that the weeping that people observe at the Wall is foreshadowing. Weeping involves "tears" and that is another sewing-related pun - tears are the liquid that comes from your eyes when you are emotional, but a different pronunciation gives us the tearing of fabric or paper. The opposite of sewing.

But I may be wrong.

I don't think puns on homophones work very well when we're given the spelling in the text, not just the audio.

8 minutes ago, Kienn said:

Jojen = Hallis Mollen confirmed.

I don't think puns on homophones work very well when we're given the spelling in the text, not just the audio.

You are allowed to think whatever you like. Puns are puns whether or not the spelling is identical.

Archived