Casting for Robert's Rebellion

thewolfofStarfall

On 12/8/2016 at 8:19 AM, thewolfofStarfall said:

Robert Baratheon- Suggestions?

Henry Cavill . Only Superman is good enough to be Robert Prime. http://fycharlesbrandon.tumblr.com/post/113879628256/amancanfly-requested-adhémar-de-bourbon

Ashara: Eva Green

Brandon: Theo James or Clive Standen

Cat: Karen Gillan

Jon Arryn: Richard E. Grant

Ned: Brenton Thwaites

Hoster Tully: Peter Capaldi

Elia: Ruth Negga

17 hours ago, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

To be honest I'd rather they stayed true to the books than the show. Matt Addy was a very very good Robert for the time the show was set but at the time of Robert's rebellion he was at his physical peak a beast of man. Tall, strong and intimidating. I'd rather see that version of robert than a short bulky robert like in the show.

I don't think the show watchers will care if he is a bit taller than he was in game of thrones.

Well they did switch out Tommen, Daario and Gregor Clegane (twice even) on us. So I can see that continuity in that aspect of character isn't that big of a deal to them. As long as the actor is good as well as the overall production that gaffe might be overlooked. But they should be cautious because it might not work for other characters that are a solid presence throughout the seasons.

Still I think it does not matter that Robert was tall. As long as he was strong and physically imposing. That was what he was known for in the books as well as the tv show. Handsome... well... not bad looking I suppose and has black hair.

There are a lot of conventions regarding hair color, eye color and build in the books that the show has let go. They have their reasons... It is not always done for convenience but to better serve the story overall. And that makes the conventions (physical traits) that they do follow telling. They mean something and would probably used for the story going forward.

8 hours ago, Chrizelda said:

Well they did switch out Tommen, Daario and Gregor Clegane (twice even) on us. So I can see that continuity in that aspect of character isn't that big of a deal to them. As long as the actor is good as well as the overall production that gaffe might be overlooked. But they should be cautious because it might not work for other characters that are a solid presence throughout the seasons.

Still I think it does not matter that Robert was tall. As long as he was strong and physically imposing. That was what he was known for in the books as well as the tv show. Handsome... well... not bad looking I suppose and has black hair.

There are a lot of conventions regarding hair color, eye color and build in the books that the show has let go. They have their reasons... It is not always done for convenience but to better serve the story overall. And that makes the conventions (physical traits) that they do follow telling. They mean something and would probably used for the story going forward.

I agree that the most important thing for the actor playing Robert is to really capture his character like his sense of humor, his aggression, his womanizing and his refusal of responsibilities which is what Matt Addy did so well. Having watched the Tudors I think he could do a good job, however he maybe to expensive. 

On 4/11/2017 at 1:18 AM, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

I agree that the most important thing for the actor playing Robert is to really capture his character like his sense of humor, his aggression, his womanizing and his refusal of responsibilities which is what Matt Addy did so well. Having watched the Tudors I think he could do a good job, however he maybe to expensive. 

We could all dream... And this thread is the right place for that. Though it is also very compelling to see fancast suggestions that are more in the realm of realistic. We should not forget that this forum is where they heard of Gwendoline Christie for Brienne and Jason Momoa for Drogo. So our dream cast could come true. It is also great to see up and coming actors and out of the box fancasts. Hope GOT casting people are still trawling these threads.

My guess on casting Robert would be that they have to go with someone quite young.  After all they have already tipped their hand with young Ned Stark in GoT and Robert is supposed to be his contemporary.  I am not really a fan of who they chose for Ser Arthur Dayne, Luke Roberts.  He could spin a sword but other than that, well, to me he looked like the "00" agent who gets killed and that's the impetus to bring James Bond onto the case.  I'd really be okay with re-casting that role.

• 1 month later...

Archived