Which is your favourite book in the ASOIAF series? Please explain why.

Free folk Daemon

On 13/09/2016 at 2:52 AM, NanoScream said:

I will have to go with The World of Ice and Fire-

Hold on it's my lawyer.

Hmm? You're saying I can't choose that book? Well why not? Oh it's not in the main series but it has- Well fine then.

I guess my favorite is A Feast for Crows mainly because it was a hassle to get through my first time and when I finally did it brought me into the Politics within Dorne and that was simply amazing. I hope Winds of Winter will address what the Crown will do upon hearing about the fudge that went down in Dorne.

Next would be A Clash of Kings or A Storm of Swords, I'm not sure which book it was but in one or the other I was introduced to the R+L=J theory by connecting the dots and I was like "No way, could this be? I might just blow everyone's mind with this." But when I looked it up online like everyone knew about it.

Lol, guess I should have asked which is your favourite WOIAF book? :D That would include the Dunk and Egg stories and the Dance of Dragons ones and of course The World of Ice and Fire, which is great, reading it now!

I liked all of them but I do have an order of preference.

1 A dance with dragons. A very subtle book that, I believe, showed the start of the emotional upswing in the series and some of the first happy parts since the latter part of aGoT. I didn't actually like Jon until this book but he became my favorite character. Tyrion was, as always, great to read, Theon also great, while Daenerys storyline was the most subtle yet in the series. Absolutely loved this book. 

2 A storm of swords. A heartbreaking book where virtually nothing turned out as I hoped it would but was very emotional with crazy fast action over the second half. It realised a lot of buildup work the was put into clash and delivered outcomes to the reader with great impact. 

3 A game of thrones. The first book and closest to a standalone novel. It actually almost had a happy and well defined ending as well as being a great introduction to the series and many main characters.

4 A feast for Crows. I can see why this was such a difficult book for him to write and just on its own it wasn't very satisfying. After this was released I felt a bit flat having waited for it so long. While I liked the Jaime and Cersei chapters, a lot of the iron born and Brienne chapters bored me. But after reading Dance I appreciated this book a lot more. Certain events needed to happen for future ones to be believable and this book set things up for later books and handled the "reset" in aSoS.

5 A clash of kings. I found the north of the wall part in this book boring, was disappointed with the tactics in the battle of the blackwater, while I didn't really like the way Stannis defeated Renly either. There was some interesting stuff happening in Kings landing, it was great to get a more indepth understanding of many characters, and Arya had perhaps her most interesting part of the series even if it was a little slow. Again this set things up for aSoS and even aDwD so I think it was still valuable for the series.

My perspective might be a bit different to some due to me watching the first four seasons of the show before I read the books. In fact, I thought I knew the series so well that I figured jumping into A Feast for Crows without having read the three books prior would be a breeze. Boy, was I wrong. AFFC is of course arguably the worst book to start with because it introduces so many new characters and is kind of the point where the books and the show diverge the most. Suffice it to say, my first impression of the fourth book was not positive. I've since read all of the books and AFFC is definitely one of my favourites. Jaime's chapters continue to be fantastic, while the Dorne, Iron Islands and Brienne chapters are criminally underrated, in my opinion. I will say that Arya's chapters, which were some of the best in the first three books, see a huge decline in Feast. I'm just not interested in the Faceless Men plot at all, and her current chapters generally just leave me either bored or confused. Otherwise, it's a great book.

I find A Storm of Swords is a tad overrated, but again that may have been due to watching the show first so the major twists weren't as shocking to me. The lack of Theon chapters throughout ASOS hurts it's standing a lot, and A Clash of Kings is generally a more action packed and interesting book. The multiple POV's during the Battle of the Blackwater from Tyrion, Sansa and Davos are some of the best in the series. And again, A Dance with Dragons sees the return of Theon.

A Game of Thrones is the book I find myself picking up the most and rereading random chapters. It's just the easiest book in the series to read and I agree with Lord Buckethead that it's even better after having completed the rest of the series.

So, to answer the OP: generally either Game, Clash or Feast. It all just depends on my mood.

Archived