The Fall - season 3 [spoilers]

red snow

The last thread was archived - it's been that long since the last season. Anyways here's a spoiler thread. To be honest people don't seem too bothered about spoiling BBC shows in general but I guess we should try and stick to procedure.

So the bad news is I've switched off episode one after thirty minutes. If it wasn't for the cast I'd swear I'd just watched 30 minutes of "casualty". All that has happened are operations and diagnosis of injuries - utterly dull.

I'll try and finish the episode off and hope for some uptick in quality but there are far better ways of spending my time - even within the realms of TV. Terrible start and leaves me feeling they really should have ended it at season 2.

I noticed in the archived thread there was an item about Jamie Dornan stalking someone researching the role. I wonder how much of that was just clever BS to get some attention for the show/actor as it seemed like no-one was harmed/aware of it? I guess he's been sleeping a lot in preparation for this season.

• 4 weeks later...

No movement on this? Surprising.

I think the show took a chance with making the first four episodes quite slow and dull so that the payoff at the end of the fifth and through the sixth was more jarring.  Unfortunately, altho' I initially thought it was a good ending to the show the more I think about it the more I'm  just struck by lazy writing.

Spoiler

1. After he attacked Stella and was shown to be violent and prone to snapping why the fuck wasn't he more closely guarded and on lock down

2. In fact he should have been under more security from the get go even if they believed the amnesia schtick - you never know when it's going to come back

There was some good stuff, The Goddess, Gillian Anderson was fantastic as always and I even thought Dornan did a good job this time 'round. I hope they don't go for a fourth season unless they've got a clear direction and Stella is the focus but even then I'd be wary on the back of the third season.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything Chal said. Interesting thought that they dulled down the first few episodes to make the final one more impactful. But, while the pschological stuff was compelling (all those messed up people apart from Merlin, where's his tormented past?) the technical stuff about how they'd deal with such a prisoner seemed pretty unlikely. The law stuff wasn't very convincing either. I dont think serial killers often get off on technicalities.

The ending seemed to suggest the amnesia was real and he wanted a go at killing somebody for real that he could remember before he offed himself.  Another two deaths Gibson is responsible for as well, some might say. The endings for Katie and Olivia seemed too pat also.  Why did Olivia start mistrusting him? Didnt really explain that i thought.

But yes, Anderson and the character she plays are great and could easily carry another series. It would have a different feel outside of belfast though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished it now. As a final act I thought it was poor. The first episode was still terrible and the second one playing the amnesia card was also annoying. It did have some good moments though - I liked how we got the background on Spector's life from his mother's death to his time in the orphanage. They managed to find a balance where he was still a monster but we could appreciate how that monster was made. It added a sense of tragedy to it all.

Not sure he killed himself because he hated what he was/might become or if he was just looking for a way out. I wasn't able to pick up whether he regretted his violent outburst against Gibson (that was an explosive scene) and so feel it was more of an escape. I got the impression he killed the other inmate because he knew what he did to his sister. It was a good twist in the sense I was worried about Spector staging an escape and their being another series of him on the run.

Some good performances and I agree they could do a spin off with Gillian Anderson if they wished. It would have to be a very different case and possibly focus less on the villain. I also thought there were a lot of interesting dynamics of interactions between men with men, women with women and men with women. There was always something different in those combinations. I really liked how they had the scene where all the men wanted to punish Spector's wife and Gibson was trying to help her. From a point of the law the men were right but in terms of protecting the children and the fact the wife was already being punished Gibson was on the money. The same with how Gibson handled the husband of the victim who was rescued after the abduction.

Part of me feels like the series would have worked better if the second and third had been combined into 10 episodes. The first two episodes would work better as a mid season sag.

It might make a good binge show for international audiences if it winds up on Netflix.

Archived