Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

princess brittany

jon and parents

Recommended Posts

5 stages of grief due to the fact that the man he's always looked up to as a father isn't actually his biological father

Denial: No! You're lying! You can't be serious! You're telling me I just had sex with my aunt? I did NOT just have sex with my aunt!

  • (well maybe not the aunt-sex part because aunt-nephew relationships are okay in Westeros)

Anger: MY ENTIRE LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE! I was treated like shit because Ned lied! *goes into berserker mode*

Bargaining: If he'd told Lady Catelyn, she wouldn't have hated me so much! Maybe I can still ask to be legitimised as a Stark and renounce my Targaryen-ship. 

Depression: Nobody knows how I feel. My entire life has been a lie from the beginning. I actually never knew my father OR my mother. Why me? The fight against the white walkers is a lost cause. 

Acceptance: You know what? I can be a Stark AND a Targaryen! Eddard Stark was more a father to me than that old Raggar ever was! Let's go kill'em! *the white walkers*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 4 Eyed Crow said:

Denial: No! You're lying! You can't be serious! You're telling me I just had sex with my aunt? I did NOT just have sex with my aunt!

  • (well maybe not the aunt-sex part because aunt-nephew relationships are okay in Westeros)

Interestingly enough, I don't think it's the "I had sex with my aunt"-part that will freak him out that much in this regard, but more the fact that Daenerys is not only his closest blood-relative, but that the people he considered his (half-)siblings are actually his cousins. :P

Otherwise I agree with your assessment. He'll have a small identity crisis which will probably pass over the course of one episode.
After that he'll realize that nothing has really changed; He will still love and consider his cousins as they where his siblings, he will still love Daenerys, he will understand why Ned lied to him, and he will come to terms with the fact that he can be both a Stark and a Targaryen.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an interesting analysis of the boat sex scene that reaches a similar conclusion.

who knows if they actually crafted the scene as foreshadowing, but would be very clever if true.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I can see them settling for the traditional man-woman roles. Daenerys is taken off the burden for being the last Targaryen, who has to take the throne, when she'd rather take care of the family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jcmontea said:

This is an interesting analysis of the boat sex scene that reaches a similar conclusion.

who knows if they actually crafted the scene as foreshadowing, but would be very clever if true.

It's an interesting analysis, but I think he/she reads too much into the scene.
I personally didn't get the impression any foreshadowing from that scene. When they both "pause" and just stare at each other, I got the impression from both that they simply couldn't believe how lucky they where to find someone they love so much and find those feelings returned. It's like neither of them can believe what's actually happening. I didn't however see any realization in Daenerys face about how she suddenly wasn't alone.

It's quite likely though that Jon will the one who distances himself from Daenerys when he finds out about his parentage, and that he will be the one to reignites their relationship once again when he comes to terms with who he is (or realize that he knocked her up.)

3 hours ago, Deminelle said:

Yes, I can see them settling for the traditional man-woman roles. Daenerys is taken off the burden for being the last Targaryen, who has to take the throne, when she'd rather take care of the family. 

Maybe. 
We know that home and family is a big thing for Daenerys, arguably bigger than actually ruling. The only reason she's so adamant about taking the throne (even though we see her priorities shifting in the end of Season 7) is because there's "nothing else" for her to do, given how she has no family (that she knows of) and can't have any children.
She wants to out with a bang before her family dies with her, but the revelation that she's not actually alone and that she can have children will probably give her almost a big identity crisis as Jon will have when he finds out about his true parentage. 

If we assume that Jon and Dany both survive the war however, and that they marry (Jon won't father a bastard), I'm not entirely certain that she would abstain from the throne altogether though. It's possible that she would step down and focus on her family, but I think it's more likely that she want's to co-rule with Jon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

It's an interesting analysis, but I think he/she reads too much into the scene.
I personally didn't get the impression any foreshadowing from that scene. When they both "pause" and just stare at each other, I got the impression from both that they simply couldn't believe how lucky they where to find someone they love so much and find those feelings returned. It's like neither of them can believe what's actually happening. I didn't however see any realization in Daenerys face about how she suddenly wasn't alone.

It's quite likely though that Jon will the one who distances himself from Daenerys when he finds out about his parentage, and that he will be the one to reignites their relationship once again when he comes to terms with who he is (or realize that he knocked her up.)

Maybe. 
We know that home and family is a big thing for Daenerys, arguably bigger than actually ruling. The only reason she's so adamant about taking the throne (even though we see her priorities shifting in the end of Season 7) is because there's "nothing else" for her to do, given how she has no family (that she knows of) and can't have any children.
She wants to out with a bang before her family dies with her, but the revelation that she's not actually alone and that she can have children will probably give her almost a big identity crisis as Jon will have when he finds out about his true parentage. 

If we assume that Jon and Dany both survive the war however, and that they marry (Jon won't father a bastard), I'm not entirely certain that she would abstain from the throne altogether though. It's possible that she would step down and focus on her family, but I think it's more likely that she want's to co-rule with Jon.

I hope so. What was the point of her spending so long learning how to actually rule as a Queen if she is just going to assume a traditional Queen consort role at the end. I don't think Daenerys Targaryen can end up as a mere consort. 

An interesting thing about the boat sex scene is how she starts out on top and how he ends up on top as his true parentage is laid out. Symbolic for his better claim I assume. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×