Catalun independence vote

DireWolfSpirit

6 hours ago, Mentat said:

To your first paragraph: The Constitutional Court declared illegal parts of a Statute of Autonomy that had been agreed between the Spanish central government and Catalan regional government, and that got an overwhelming support both by the Catalan parliament and the Catalan people in a referendum. I won't argue constitutional legality with the Court, but to me it was a pretty big deal in terms of democracy and how we interpret laws, and it's hard to argue it started this shit-storm.

This. Exactly.

3 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

@Tijgy is it true that the Puigdemont and Government are in Belgium now?

Puigdemont is in Belgium. He had a meeting with a Belgian (Flemish) lawyer who is now his counsel. 

http://www.knack.be/nieuws/wereld/catalaans-ex-president-puigdemont-wil-asiel-in-ons-land-en-stelt-belgische-advocaat-aan/article-normal-919283.html?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=social_knack&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1509389614

The title of the article is actually weird because the lawyer doesn't confirm if Puigdemont asked him about his possibilities to ask asylum In Belgium. :dunno:

The lawyer in question is specialized in human rights, he has a history of defending separatists asking political asylum and he has close connections to a Flemish Nationalist Left Magazine 

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

Puigdemont is in Belgium. He had a meeting with a Belgian (Flemish) lawyer who is now his counsel. 

http://www.knack.be/nieuws/wereld/catalaans-ex-president-puigdemont-wil-asiel-in-ons-land-en-stelt-belgische-advocaat-aan/article-normal-919283.html?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=social_knack&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1509389614

The title of the article is actually weird because the lawyer doesn't confirm if Puigdemont asked him about his possibilities to ask asylum In Belgium. :dunno:

I see, they must be considering if he indeed can apply for political assylum...

15 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

No, he wouldn't. there were already tensions between them (suspension of the previous President of the Generalitat of Catalunya for the non-binding referendum  of 2014) and the past shows he would not have done it. In fact, he just said no to his counterpart in the Catalan PP just a few years before (and she just demanded a little).Wat he could have given would have been loose change at most.

And the Catalan representatives voting Rajoy would have made no sense since they already knew that they could not reach an agreement with him, so what they wanted is that Pedro Sánchez from PSOE would have been the next President of Spain, instead of Rajoy, so as to try to negotiate with him.

No one is arguing about the "sense" of it, we all know the legal, political and economical reasons why they don't want to change it. And we all know that the referendum is unconstitutional according to Spanish Law and it's not a fair move that represents all the Catalan society.

Some notes about your explanation:

-When you say that the Constitution can not be changed without citizens agreeing this is not true, since it's not always obligued, and, in fact, an article was changed in 2011 IIRC to respond  Merkel's demand on the deficit without consulting the people.

-It is true that Catalans voted the Constitution 40 years ago, but that doesn't mean it has to be immutable. I personally think they committed a mistake by not trying to negotiate and risk more like the Basques, but I can't toally blame them anyway. We all know that the first negotiations in theory demanded more self-government and a "disticntion" of the historial nationalities, but later Spain had 17 Parliaments (commonly known as "café para todos", "coffee for everyone").

And there have been a progression in self-government, just like the introduction of the Catalan Police, that were introduced after the Generalitat. And the new Statute of 2006 was voted with a lot of consensus in the Catalan Parliamernt, many years later, and after CiU reaching agreements with PP so as to let them rule years before in the Spanish Parliament. After this PP made the Constitutional Court almost abolish the new articles completely.

In fact, in 40 years the society evolves and changes. There are other civil changes in Spain that would be unimaginable 40 years ago, such as the abolisment of the compulsary military service or marriage between people from the same gender.

-So it makes sense that the nations of Spain are allowed the right of seld-determination, such as other ones from other democracies like the United Kingdom and Canada. You say that Cameron thought that the Yes would not win, but he didn't know, and in fact he had to make some concessions that affected the end result. Failing with the Brexit but also letting Socttish decide (and make concessions)  proves that he preferred democracy over immutability unlike the Government of Spain.

The problem is that in the Parliament of Catalonia there is an immense majority in favour of a referendum and also an immense majority that wants more self-government (or independence).

http://resultados.elpais.com/elecciones/2015/autonomicas/09/index.html

(Only C's-orange- and dark blue (pp) are against more self-government). and even some of the members of those parties are not completely against.

The Spanish Government has an immense majority of parties  (in fact all the parties except the nationalists: Blue, Red and orange in the link) who don't want independence (and are gepolitically centralised) and only Podemos (purple) is in favour of a referndum.

http://resultados.elpais.com/elecciones/2016/generales/congreso/

Only the purple ones from the right side want a referendum (podemos), and the nationalists are those small parties from the right side with less than 10 seats each of them.

So the situation is extremely difficult to change. (almost impossible).

No, PSOE has not always been for a deal with Catalonia, they have talked about reforming the Constitution (the whole party only now after the suspension of the declaration of independence on the 10th of October and the upcoming UDI and 155 have talked about this reform) and that means dealing with the whole country, but not especifically with Catalonia. It's the Catalan branch of PSOE, PSC, who have been more open-minded talking openly about Federalism for Spain and some sectors of it about assymetrical federalism for Catalonia.

When I responded before I was referring to a new Gov. in Catalonia, not the one in Spain. I think that a new Government in Spain with PSOE and more space with PSC and nationalists could lead to a possible solution, but I think they are far, far away from achieving that. The referendum is not an option for PSOE, either, though maybe lot of Catalans would be happy with a small solution (fiscal agreeement or assymetrica Federalisml), but this is even compliated since PP and Ciudadanos will be against it, because they are centralised in terms of geopolitics. A new Government with PSOE and POdemos could, indeed, be better for stability and to achieve an agreemeentt (though lots of independentists would not like it).

bolded in red: not only them, there are two sides of the problem, and in fact the GoS is the one more to blame on the political side of the problem (although not the "legal" one).

I think it's a mistake to conflate the Rajoy government with an absolute majority and in the middle of an economic crisis with the Rajoy government without enough votes to comfortable pass a budget and in a much more comfortable economic situation. The pro-independence parties have also flexed their muscles greatly in the last year. That said, your speculation is as good as mine.

The Catalan nationalists may prefer Pedro Sánchez to Rajoy, but they blocked his attempt at becoming president in 2015, and again 'referendum or referendum' was the issue they refused to back down on and Pedro Sánchez (and Ciudadanos, who were supporting him back then) wouldn't agree with under any circumstance.

I'm aware that some articles of the Constitution are easier to modify than others (I have a background in Spanish law). The articles relevant to this particular issue are the hard ones to modify.

I do not think the Constitution should be immutable either and, personally, agree that the PSOEs Federal proposal (and this isn't only PSC, I heard it from Sanchez's mouth first, myself) seems like a good way to compromise (and Catalan nationalists have always had a working relationship with PSOE PMs).

I agree it's very hard for independence to find purchase in the Spanish parliament, but if we're talking about a better financial deal or more devolution, then I disagree. Catalan nationalists just chose the worst possible moment (a PP government with an absolute majority in the middle of a terrible economic crisis) forced by their own economic troubles. A more confident, charismatic and left wing president and Catalan nationalists might yet be able to agree on some sort of non-binding public consultation involving choosing between an increased devolution and better financing or independence, but just like Cameron or the Canadian president, they have to like their chances, and political tension needs to deflate.

7 hours ago, Mentat said:

endence to find purchase in the Spanish parliament, but if we're talking about a better financial deal or more devolution, then I disagree. Catalan nationalists just chose the worst possible moment (a PP government with an absolute majority in the middle of a terrible economic crisis) forced by their own economic troubles. A more confident, charismatic and left wing president and Catalan nationalists might yet be able to agree on some sort of non-binding public consultation involving choosing between an increased devolution and better financing or independence, but just like Cameron or the Canadian president, they have to like their chances, and political tension needs to deflate.

I also think that the question should have more options, just like in the consultation of 2014.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lavanguardia.com%2Fpolitica%2F20171031%2F432506533672%2Fceo-si-dependencia-gana.html

48,7% in favour of independence and 43.6% NO. Rest don't know.

40,2% in favour of an independent State (and the others of less than an independent State). This results seem contradictory with the first ones

64,6% want more self-government

8,2% of voters of PP want independence :o

which means that indeed, more self.government  (as an State or Indep State) is the thing that has more consensus

2 hours ago, Mentat said:

Catalan nationalists just chose the worst possible moment (a PP government with an absolute majority in the middle of a terrible economic crisis) forced by their own economic troubles. A more confident, charismatic and left wing president and Catalan nationalists might yet be able to agree on some sort of non-binding public consultation involving choosing between an increased devolution and better financing or independence

IMHO, it's not that they chose the worst possible moment. It's that every time that the Catalans start demanding more autonomy to the central government, the population from the rest of Spain will respond by massively voting the PP (or whoever campaigns for a frontal opposition to the Catalan demands).

PP's current absolute majority is a direct consequence of the Catalan conflict. In a normal situation, after Rajoy's lackluster first term and with his party plagued to the bone with corruption scandals, they would have fallen hard in the last elections. But they won because they advocated a hard-line approach to the conflict that most of the Spanish electorate defends.

That will happen every time Catalan nationalists get stronger. The greater part of the Spanish electorate can tolerate corrupt or incompetent politicians, but won't ever allow someone with a moderate stance towards this issue.

42 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

which means that indeed, more self.government  (as an State or Indep State) is the thing that has more consensus

It's obvious that an immense majority of the Catalans would be content with just a higher degree of self-governance and a fiscal treatment equivalent to that of the Basques. That has never been in doubt. All the parts of the conflict have always known that the issue will be solved the moment the central government offers that.

But the Spanish government is not offering that, and won't offer that in a foreseeable future. On the contrary: they are pushing for more centralization.

1 hour ago, The hairy bear said:

IMHO, it's not that they chose the worst possible moment. It's that every time that the Catalans start demanding more autonomy to the central government, the population from the rest of Spain will respond by massively voting the PP (or whoever campaigns for a frontal opposition to the Catalan demands).

PP's current absolute majority is a direct consequence of the Catalan conflict. In a normal situation, after Rajoy's lackluster first term and with his party plagued to the bone with corruption scandals, they would have fallen hard in the last elections. But they won because they advocated a hard-line approach to the conflict that most of the Spanish electorate defends.

That will happen every time Catalan nationalists get stronger. The greater part of the Spanish electorate can tolerate corrupt or incompetent politicians, but won't ever allow someone with a moderate stance towards this issue.

I think that if there was another Government ruling with Podemos there could be some kind of agreement, but what you say seems also true, since corruption scandals don't stop people voting the party. The media doesn't help either. It should be understood that there are different sensibilities in regards to the national sentiment, that many people feel Catalunya as a nation on its own (inside or outisde Spain), so basically that the State is plurinational.

I'd like to think there's hope, but it's very complicated. The worst thing is that people chooses parties or transcendental issues just like independnce only by sentiments and not with pragmatic information due to the escalation of events.

And I do think that the party of Rajoy should have been ceased after the events of the 1st of October due to their co-responsibility, letting the disproportionate use of force happens to the Catalan citizens of their State. But this can't happen bc politics always comes first, sadly.

It's obvious that an immense majority of the Catalans would be content with just a higher degree of self-governance and a fiscal treatment equivalent to that of the Basques. That has never been in doubt. All the parts of the conflict have always known that the issue will be solved the moment the central government offers that.

But the Spanish government is not offering that, and won't offer that in a foreseeable future. On the contrary: they are pushing for more centralization.

Yeah, I completely agree with that, and in fact, seeing the results of the last poll, I think that this percentage of votes in favour of independence who later say that don't want an independent State suggests they would change their mind, or either, that they were not totally sure about the question in regards to a Federal State (does it involve a fiscal treatment like the Basques? or would all the Federal States of Spain be equivalent to the current Autonomous Communities?)...

It's sad that the Spanish Government is blind to see that the conflict could be resolved easily, and they chose to escalate it further (and, in turn the other side does the same due to the indignation, more conviction that total independence is the only option  and/or with the prospects of doing so as that the Spanish Government realises that it's too late and that they must offer something, which is highly unlikely, though not 100% impossible).

https://www.politico.eu/article/charles-michel-theo-francken-catalonia-crisis-hits-home-in-belgium/amp/

It is not completely an internal matter anymore. ^_^

And the situation desceibed in the article is what happens when a journalist asks a sensitive question and the media changes the interviewer's words creating a diplomatic riot. 

And, in addition, the opposition parties are trying to hurt the biggest party in country - not that being sympathetic to a separatist movement is a great way to attack a nationalist party. The probable reason why their voters would leave them is actually that they are ignoring the Flemish cause. 

This is all so idiotic that it would be funny if the actual real existing problem isn't dangerous to the people living in Catalonia. 

Again it is proven. Belgian politicians are a bunch of idiotic fools.

1 hour ago, The hairy bear said:

I think that theory of how Spaniards vote is not very likely. The PP absolute majority in the 2011-2015 government term (which it now lacks) was, in my opinion, mainly a result of the economic crisis (which Zapatero was considered to be mishandling). Rajoy did fall hard on the last election. The PP lost more than 60 seats, despite tensions in Catalonia and the nationalists' demands mounting like never before in Spanish history. Also, Spanish democracy is very young and has actually proven to be quite unpredictable, I don't really think you can accurately establish trends like that.

If I happen to be wrong, I recommend the following strategy: All the catalan nationalists have to do is say "Nah, we don't actually want independence. In fact, all these devolved attributions should probably be handled by Madrid instead. We kind of suck at it. Also, this Catalan language is quaint and all, but we're probably all better off speaking Spanish, which everyone understands". Then, when Podemos wins the general elections by an absolute majority they say "BWAHAHAHA! Fools! You believed it! We want independence and we want it right now! Lets see if you're as good as your word President Iglesias". You can all thank me for this marvelous idea with a holiday home in Costa Daurada. You're welcome :P

Also, the Spanish government can't really push for more centralization right now. They lack the votes. They'd have to agree with PSOE (and they never agree on anything) or PNV (who will agree to more centralization over their dead bodies).

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/charles-michel-theo-francken-catalonia-crisis-hits-home-in-belgium/amp/

It is not completely an internal matter anymore. ^_^

And the situation desceibed in the article is what happens when a journalist asks a sensitive question and the media changes the interviewer's words creating a diplomatic riot. 

And, in addition, the opposition parties are trying to hurt the biggest party in country - not that being sympathetic to a separatist movement is a great way to attack a nationalist party. The probable reason why their voters would leave them is actually that they are ignoring the Flemish cause. 

This is all so idiotic that it would be funny if the actual real existing problem isn't dangerous to the people living in Catalonia. 

Again it is proven. Belgian politicians are a bunch of idiotic fools.

And it's a complex issue for the Government considering what I read, if there is a coalition of 4 parties and one of them are independentists.

11 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

And it's a complex issue for the Government considering what I read, if there is a coalition of 4 parties and one of them are independentists.

Since the start of federalism a coalition will probably the (factual) minimum on federal level. Almost all parties are solely Flemish or Francophone and is only elected in Flanders or Wallonia. It is only in Brussels and in the towns with facilities where this homogeneity gets muddled. And the government has to exist in the same amount ministers from both language groups so you need to have at least one Francophone and Flemish party. The last two governments actually represented not the majority of one language group. The current one only represents 25 % of the Francophones and more than 65 % of the Flemish. The one before represented also around 65 % of the Francophones and around 40 % of the Flemish.

A part of the agreement is actually that the independentists (who actually represent 20 % of Belgium while the other government parties represent only each 10 %) actually stay silent on federalization, more autonomy, ... and they actually do less for the Flemish than several other parties while they call themselves Flemish nationalists. The issue lies more with the fact the opposition and the media are currently making of nothing a huge problem and the government Flemish parties are thinking they also have to play opposition. :dunno: It is completely ridiculous. 

The European law is quite clearly. Puigdemont has the right as EU Citizen to travel to Brussels. If a Spanish judge writes an European Arrest Warrant, a Belgian judge has to investigate if they are reasons to refuse sending Puigdemont back to Spain.  

8 hours ago, Tijgy said:

Since the start of federalism a coalition will probably the (factual) minimum on federal level. Almost all parties are solely Flemish or Francophone and is only elected in Flanders or Wallonia. It is only in Brussels and in the towns with facilities where this homogeneity gets muddled. And the government has to exist in the same amount ministers from both language groups so you need to have at least one Francophone and Flemish party. The last two governments actually represented not the majority of one language group. The current one only represents 25 % of the Francophones and more than 65 % of the Flemish. The one before represented also around 65 % of the Francophones and around 40 % of the Flemish.

A part of the agreement is actually that the independentists (who actually represent 20 % of Belgium while the other government parties represent only each 10 %) actually stay silent on federalization, more autonomy, ... and they actually do less for the Flemish than several other parties while they call themselves Flemish nationalists. The issue lies more with the fact the opposition and the media are currently making of nothing a huge problem and the government Flemish parties are thinking they also have to play opposition. :dunno: It is completely ridiculous. 

This is really weird. From the one hand, it ensures that both language groups are repreesented, but on the other, this doesn't make much sense at all. If people would vote for a party, why should the others be in the Government, or viceversa? (unless they reach and agreement to rule bc the one who wins doesn't have enough supports or the others who have not won ally against the one that has won....-this is common in Spain btw-)

The European law is quite clearly. Puigdemont has the right as EU Citizen to travel to Brussels. If a Spanish judge writes an European Arrest Warrant, a Belgian judge has to investigate if they are reasons to refuse sending Puigdemont back to Spain.  

Yeah, tomorrow he has to go to court. If he doesn't go National SPanish POlice will talk to the police of Belgium, and depending on the circumstances, he will have to go to Spain. I think he will, indeed, go to SPain. And I think the memebers of the ex-Government of Catalonia will be arrested tomorrow, and I suppose this will cause trouble (I mean citizens won't like that....and it's scary what could happen): Meanwhile the National POlice that ar living in the Warner ships will continue in Catalonia.... :(

14 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

This is really weird. From the one hand, it ensures that both language groups are repreesented, but on the other, this doesn't make much sense at all. If people would vote for a party, why should the others be in the Government, or viceversa? (unless they reach and agreement to rule bc the one who wins doesn't have enough supports or the others who have not won ally against the one that has won....-this is common in Spain btw-)

We have at this moment twelve parties in our parliament ;) It is a result from the fact the votes are distributed proportionally. After an election King nominates a formateur who has the task to form a government. Because the government has to be accepted by the parliament, the government normally has to have at least majority in the parliament - for which in Belgium you need at least several parties. 

But even our Flemish government has always existed the last years out more than two parties. 

14 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yeah, tomorrow he has to go to court. If he doesn't go National SPanish POlice will talk to the police of Belgium, and depending on the circumstances, he will have to go to Spain. I think he will, indeed, go to SPain. And I think the memebers of the ex-Government of Catalonia will be arrested tomorrow, and I suppose this will cause trouble (I mean citizens won't like that....and it's scary what could happen): Meanwhile the National POlice that ar living in the Warner ships will continue in Catalonia.... :(

I think he is still in Belgium, at least according to his lawyer. 

He wants either that Spain sends his agents to Belgium or that the Belgian police will interrogate him.

5 hours ago, Tijgy said:

We have at this moment twelve parties in our parliament ;) It is a result from the fact the votes are distributed proportionally. After an election King nominates a formateur who has the task to form a government. Because the government has to be accepted by the parliament, the government normally has to have at least majority in the parliament - for which in Belgium you need at least several parties. 

But even our Flemish government has always existed the last years out more than two parties. 

Wow! so curious ;)

I think he is still in Belgium, at least according to his lawyer. 

He wants either that Spain sends his agents to Belgium or that the Belgian police will interrogate him.

he is there  indeed,with some members of his government, he wanted a video conference.

The others of his government and the Bureau went to court today.

The Bureau will have one more week more to prepare with police vigilance..

The others: the Public Prosecutor's office said they demanded unconditional prison, and for one particular member, Santi Vila, who resigned the day before the UDI, they demand jail with a bail of 50000 euros.

The judge will decide what to do if jail or not, and also about Puigdemont, video conference yes or not or european arrest, which could stretchen on the issue a month or two.

@Meera of Tarth What I actually don't understand is how they can actually persecute people for their actions in a legislative body.

They represent there the voice of the people - which is why in my country both in the federal as the regional representatives never can be persecuted for their actions in the legislative bodies. (For other actions the parliaments has to vote to left their immunity). 

The biggest issue I have is towards the persecution of the president of your parliament. The leader of the Flemish government, Jan Peumans, is considered to be the first Flemish citizen. The fact he would be persecuted for allowing a vote is something I scarcely imagine

And from a legal standpoint your government actually only executed the task voted by your legislative body

Is this not a kind of weird?

Anyway,  someone of the UN said the use of article 155 by the Spanish government is in violation with the Treaty Political and Civil Rights (one of the main human rights treaties: it is against the right of self-determibation to take away the already granted regional autonomy. 

And the Spanish Government issued an European Arrest Warrant. What a smart idea of already have taken a Flemish lawyer. ^_^

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

@Meera of Tarth What I actually don't understand is how they can actually persecute people for their actions in a legislative body.

They represent there the voice of the people - which is why in my country both in the federal as the regional representatives never can be persecuted for their actions in the legislative bodies. (For other actions the parliaments has to vote to left their immunity). 

The biggest issue I have is towards the persecution of the president of your parliament. The leader of the Flemish government, Jan Peumans, is considered to be the first Flemish citizen. The fact he would be persecuted for allowing a vote is something I scarcely imagine

And from a legal standpoint your government actually only executed the task voted by your legislative body

Anyway,  someone of the UN said the use of article 155 by the Spanish government is in violation with the Treaty Political and Civil Rights (one of the main human rights treaties: it is against the right of self-determibation to take away the already granted regional autonomy. 

And the Spanish Government issued an European Arrest Warrant. What a smart idea of already have taken a Flemish lawyer. ^_^

Easy answer: This is Spain.

prison for everyone (even the person who resigned the day before the UDI -he could leave the prison after paying 50000 euros. This case is particularly astonishing).

members of the Bureau still have some days of "freedom".

while i disagree with the UDI decision of Puigdemont he is so smart for having gone to Brussels. And I agree with you, prison is just too much (suspensin, fines....but prison without bail??). This will make the problem worse. Indeed, their electoral program Said they would do that.

2 hours ago, Tijgy said:

The legal ramifications of this are complicated. I don't think anyone is actually being prosecuted for their actions in a legislative body. Catalan politicians are being prosecuted for their actions as a part of the Catalan government (i.e. the administration, or the executive). As a member of the administration it's actually easy to be prosecuted, and there are quite a few crimes that you can only commit as a member of the administration (like taking bribes, corruption, etc.). Catalan politicians represent the will of the Catalan people, but that doesn't mean they can break the law.

Prosecuting Puigdemont is a terrible idea, and will help no one, but the problem is that, despite what some might say, Spain does have a reasonably independent judiciary (as is evident by the many cases of corruption that prosecutors and judges have been hammering the ruling party with for the last decade) which is not under control of the government (otherwise the government would probably delay the whole thing, if only because the timing is awful if they mean to do well in the regional elections in December). Judges (even Catalan judges) don't really like Catalan nationalists (and they don't like judges either, as was made evident by the laws they passed trying to bring all the judiciary under the control of the government in the event of a republic). This is mostly because judges are lawful, either because they were to begin with and that's what drew them to the career or because they are taught to think like that in law school and Catalan nationalists are chaotic, valuing their principles above the law and freely going against Spanish law and court orders despite being warned countless times by courts and parliament attorneys.

Someone in the UN might have said that (there are lots of people in the UN, with a great diversity of opinions) but the UN as such is probably not going to intervene, which is a pity, because I think it would really help if he UN or the EU put their foot down and insisted on some kind of mediation.

If you have more specific questions about Spanish law I can try to help, though Criminal law is not my area of expertise.

Archived