Why weren’t the Karstarks, Dustins and Ryswells at Winterfell?

Canon Claude

I don’t have a copy of the second book right now, so I figure I should just ask you good people for the answer. 

Was there ever an in canon reason for why the Karstarks, Dustins, and Ryswells never came to the harvest feast of Winterfell? Presumably this is a big deal in the North and it’s a big opportunity for the nobles to meet with the Starks or each other and talk business. I get that GRRM never got around to developing those characters that early, but was there ever an in-book reason given for why several Karstarks, Ryswells, and Lady Dustin stayed away when even the crannogmen sent representatives?

The Karstarks are given a reason in ACOK Bran II:

In the days that followed, ravens arrived from other lordly houses, bearing regrets. The bastard of the Dreadfort would not be joining them, the Mormonts and Karstarks had all gone south with Robb, Lord Locke was too old to dare the journey, Lady Flint was heavy with child, there was sickness at Widow's Watch. Finally all of the principal vassals of House Stark had been heard from save for Howland Reed the crannogman, who had not set foot outside his swamps for many a year, and the Cerwyns whose castle lay a half day's ride from Winterfell. Lord Cerwyn was a captive of the Lannisters, but his son, a lad of fourteen, arrived one bright, blustery morning at the head of two dozen lances. Bran was riding Dancer around the yard when they came through the gate. He trotted over to greet them. Cley Cerwyn had always been a friend to Bran and his brothers.

Arnolf, the castellan of Karhold, has a sizable family, however, and in retrospect George could have had one of them appear. 

It's not mentioned in the books, but the Dustins might not show because Barbrey still holds a grudge from Robert's Rebellion. The Ryswells might  not show out of sympathy for Barbrey (a Ryswell by birth), or maybe Lord Rickard is preoccupied with his squabbling sons. 

In ACOK Bran III, Meera says in public that she and her brother were sent to Winterfell to renew the oath. 

"My lords of Stark," the girl said. "The years have passed in their hundreds and their thousands since my folk first swore their fealty to the King in the North. My lord father has sent us here to say the words again, for all our people."

In ACOK Bran IV, however, the Reeds explain they were sent by Howland because of Jojen's dreams.

"You are the winged wolf, Bran," said Jojen. "I wasn't sure when we first came, but now I am. The crow sent us here to break your chains."

"Is the crow at Greywater?"

"No. The crow is in the north."

"At the Wall?" Bran had always wanted to see the Wall. His bastard brother Jon was there now, a man of the Night's Watch.

"Beyond the Wall." Meera Reed hung the net from her belt. "When Jojen told our lord father what he'd dreamed, he sent us to Winterfell."

6 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

His retcon was that Lady Dustin was bitter and the Ryswell brothers were quarreling.

You’d think at least one of the Ryswells would have gone south with Robb. The other Northmen would surely be calling them cowards for staying.

30 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

You’d think at least one of the Ryswells would have gone south with Robb. The other Northmen would surely be calling them cowards for staying.

Maybe one did, possibly not a son of Lord Rysswell but a brother or nephew

GRRM: Well, Robin Flint is one of Catelyn's companions when she rides to Bitterbridge, though I never say which branch he's from, I don't think. No, there are still Dustins and Ryswells in the north, and maybe even in Robb's army. I mean, he had twenty thousand guys or near about when he marched south, I couldn't characterize them all. I have always figured that there are =dozens= of minor lords and =hundreds= of knights and such in all these armies. Simply because someone isn't mentioned doesn't mean they are not there.

"And Lord Wyman is not the only man who lost kin at your Red Wedding, Frey. Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the Greatjon, he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them, as Lady Hornwood ate her fingers. Flints, Cerwyns, Tallharts, Slates … they all had men with the Young Wolf."
"House Ryswell too," said Roger Ryswell.
"Even Dustins out of Barrowton." - ADWD

However it is clear that some Houses were far more gung ho about going to  war, so it is no surprise that Houses were seeking favor from House Stark over committed while Houses that were less close with House Stark were more reserved. 

Archived