Mathis Rowan is the Betrayer

LucionLannister

On 8/14/2018 at 10:27 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Assuming Aegon et al. captured Matthis Rowan when he

Reveal hidden contents

captured Storm's End, 

Jon Connington will likely make him an offer he cannot refuse, support Aegon and be confirmed in your lands and honors or die screaming, in which case Aegon will still take command of the men you have here. 

Because executing well known and well liked hostages is the way to make friends. That would win Connington a blood feud with house Rowan and the potential enmity of anyone associated with them. Keeping him hostage could compel the person in charge of house Rowan to desist. 

On 8/14/2018 at 10:34 PM, Widow's Watch said:

So we know Mace and Paxter Redwyne were at the siege of Storm's end during the Battle of the Trident. But I wonder if Mathis Rowan and Randyll Tarly weren't actually present and fighting at the Trident. I'm assuming they would have been and that might hold some importance.

I do take that statement with a vat of salt as well. Titus Peake was introduced in the appendix of AFFC, so I imagine he will enter the story in WoW.

That said, I think between the ironborn attacking the Reach and Mace's mess with Margaery, it's very possible that there will be a breakdown in the Reach. 

Well, if that isn't a red flag I don't know what is. I can see Mace's banner men being disgruntled over having to fight to support his ambition while the Reach is being raided. That might lead to them withdrawing support, not declaring for Aegon. This still could put Mace in a bind. 

Ultimately the thing that will cause the breach between the Reach and the Iron Throne can only be one or a combination of the following. Margaery's death, Tommen's death, Tommen being declared a bastard, Mace's death. This is where the Sand Snakes and ser Robert Strong come in. 

On 8/8/2018 at 9:32 AM, SurfKook said:

sound's good, but what motive does he have to risk everything by backing fAegon?  if fA is proven fake, or looses he will no doubt be crushed by the victor in the race for the iron throne

I think that by the time he Rowan turns, Aegon will have quite a lot of momentum. The Lannister reign is far from stable.

Archived