Why Hoster didn't warn Jon Arryn about Littlefinger's appointments or why Jon Arryn didn't suspect anything when LF talked about deflowering Catelyn

2 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

If Jon knew he would keep Lysa away from him. But Jon made LF master of coin. 

Therefore we are able to assume that either 
A: Petyr did not make such boasts to anyone who would get it back to Jon
B: Petyr made the Vale so much freaking money that Jon didn't care. 

I would personally go for A as Jon's honor and morality are paramount to his character 

Maybe Ned and Robert got their... "lacking" scheming and lie detection skills from Jon Arryn?

Also LF might be a complete scam but he seem to have given the appearance of a economic wonder child. Jon might have been willing to overlook LF character flaws for his talents.

Petyr Baelish is a small man in their eyes.  A mosquito buzzing around that they could swat anytime they wanted.  Their arrogance failed to see the threat.  They underestimated him because of his humble beginnings (in relative terms) and his small size.  

Men like Petyr Baelish and Walder Frey are some of the most able people in the realm.  But they don't get the respect they deserve because of good, old fashioned snobbery.  Old money looks down on the newly rich.  Men who got their money from their fathers look down on men who had to work their way up.  Petyr and Walder have the street smarts that someone like Jon Arryn lack.  

1 minute ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Petyr Baelish and Walder Frey are some of the most able people in the realm

I agree that LF get underestimated because he is a nobody from a small house, but I don't think that is true for Walder Frey at all.

The Freys are rich thanks to whatever circumstances resulted in them build (I assume) and holding the Twins with accompanying toll-rights. Walder is not implied to have had anything to do with that at all.

LF worked for years to go from a nobody to top dog in the Vale. Walder burned his House's reputation and future for short term gain.

I can see LF japing with Tyrion about it, and maybe a few other less scrupulous members of the court, but I doubt he said anywhere near Jon Arryn. Also, bear in mind Arryn already knew Lysa was deflowered, so if he heard LF boasting about Lysa's maidenhead, it mightn't have done any more than irritate him. That said, I think if he heard about LF deflowering Cat he would have sent a raven straight to Winterfell.

Archived