Sword of the Morning

There have been 3. One, Davos, was married to Nymeria, who was awesome in her own right. One was Arthur Dayne, I need say no more on him. But Ullrick? How is it that we know he was of the same caliber as Daemon I and Aemon the Dragonknight but no more than that. All those wars and battles going on at that time and he was involved in none of them...so why did he get the title?

Of all the Daynes that have come and gone there have only been 3 Swords of the Morning so one must have to be pretty amazing to gain the title.

Just bothers me that we don't know more about what it takes to be the Sword of the Morning. Why wasn't it awarded to Joffrey Dayne during the First Dornish War? Could it be that the Martells have something to do with it? Would they be against having a SotM knocking about Dorne? Would he be a threat to Martell supremacy?

Did I miss something? It happens too often, so probably...

The longer I wait for Winds and the more I reread everything the more stuff like this bothers me.

Thoughts?

There has only been 3 that we know of. I'm sure there have been more then 3 in the past, but there just hasn't been any reason to mention them. 

• Arthur Dayne is obvious, he's was one of Rhaegar's best friends, and one of the people at the Tower of Joy.
  • Davos Dayne was one of the husbands of Nymeria. 
  • Ulrick Dayne was brought up on one of Eustace Osgrey's rants. 

House Dayne is shrouded in mystery, and the only information we get are either members that had a close connection to someone important. If for whatever reason, GRRM decided to release a Dayne history book, I'm sure there would be more then 3 Sword of the Mornings.  

29 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

There has only been 3 that we know of. I'm sure there have been more then 3 in the past, but there just hasn't been any reason to mention them. 

• Arthur Dayne is obvious, he's was one of Rhaegar's best friends, and one of the people at the Tower of Joy.
  • Davos Dayne was one of the husbands of Nymeria. 
  • Ulrick Dayne was brought up on one of Eustace Osgrey's rants. 

House Dayne is shrouded in mystery, and the only information we get are either members that had a close connection to someone important. If for whatever reason, GRRM decided to release a Dayne history book, I'm sure there would be more then 3 Sword of the Mornings.  

I remember something someone said about GRRM omitting a bunch about the Daynes from the World book, so fair point.

Not so much omitted a bunch, but rather that George didn't expand on them and their history despite our best efforts.

I suspect Vorian Dayne, remembered as the Sword of the Evening, was in fact Sword of the Morning given that he was renowned as the greatest knight in Dorne. The "Sword of the Evening" would then come from the fact that he was also the very last Dayne king, and was defeated.

40 minutes ago, Ran said:

Not so much omitted a bunch, but rather that George didn't expand on them and their history despite our best efforts.

I suspect Vorian Dayne, remembered as the Sword of the Evening, was in fact Sword of the Morning given that he was renowned as the greatest knight in Dorne. The "Sword of the Evening" would then come from the fact that he was also the very last Dayne king, and was defeated.

I hope the lack of expansion means we get some expansion on this in the upcoming books. What else could it mean? Surely GRRM didn't want this info in the Worldbook because it would spoil TWOW and ADOS?

The "Sword of the Evening"/"Sword of the Morning" has me thinking of new possibilities for Darkstar now...

I've mentioned it before, but George does have a brief family tree for the Daynes, circa Robert's Rebellion. I expect it'll be used for an appendix entry for the Daynes in TWoW, but maybe not.

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

I've mentioned it before, but George does have a brief family tree for the Daynes, circa Robert's Rebellion. I expect it'll be used for an appendix entry for the Daynes in TWoW, but maybe not.

Is it a family tree or the usual appendix thing that includes some family members but not an actual tree? If House Dayne were to show up in force and Starfall being visited such a thing would come in handy.

Once you said it was some sort of family tree, causing people to make it larger than life in their minds, and recently you called it an appendix ;-).

38 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Is it a family tree or the usual appendix thing that includes some family members but not an actual tree? If House Dayne were to show up in force and Starfall being visited such a thing would come in handy.

Once you said it was some sort of family tree, causing people to make it larger than life in their minds, and recently you called it an appendix ;-).

Do you think we will see Starfall in TWoW? I hope that Gerold Dayne runs to Starfall so we get have an Areo Hotah POV there. 

25 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Do you think we will see Starfall in TWoW? I hope that Gerold Dayne runs to Starfall so we get have an Areo Hotah POV there. 

I could see Areo Hotah, Balon Swann, and Obara Sand end up there, by way of High Hermitage, yes.

I for one would love to know where the Dayne's tendency to Valyrian coloring comes from. Unless a Lord Dayne married a Targaryen Princess sometime between Aegon III's reign and Robert's rebellion (we don't know the husbands for Maekar's daughters so it is possible they married one of their cousins), its a major mystery.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:30 AM, Hiigara129 said:

I for one would love to know where the Dayne's tendency to Valyrian coloring comes from. Unless a Lord Dayne married a Targaryen Princess sometime between Aegon III's reign and Robert's rebellion (we don't know the husbands for Maekar's daughters so it is possible they married one of their cousins), its a major mystery.

A later marriage is certainly possible - there are ideas floating around that Aerion's Maegor is the grandfather or what not of Gerold Dayne - but my guess is that some of the Targaryen-Velaryons or Targaryen-Hightowers ended up marrying a Dayne, explaining why Maekar married Dyanna Dayne. This has been effectively confirmed for Aelinor Penrose, who was Aerys I's unspecified cousin, so Maekar and especially Baelor Breakspear may have married a similar cousin. Prestige-wise only Rhaegel's Arryn wife makes sense if those were arranged matches. And Baelor would have never been allowed a love match or something of that sort to a woman who was just a Dondarrion.

Maekar may have gotten some leeway as the youngest son, but here the special looks of the Daynes give one pause. 

Archived