The First Law- But a Second Reread (or Third, or Fourth or Fi.....) spoilers for First Law books

A True Kaniggit

5 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I think this is slightly unfair. Like what do you see as being so blantanly magical that was readily around the Union pre-Bayaz return? The House of the maker could be easily rationalized as simply more technologically advanced society that preceded the Union.  And  I imagine the Union in general is less skeptical of magic since Bayaz came back. 

My impression is that religious belief is non-existent among the native inhabitants of the Union.  Religion is for "primitives" like the Gurkish and Dagoskans. Magic can be explained as science, but religion might create a caste of priests who might vie for power with the secular Inquisition.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yep. Jezal’s disbelief in Shanka being a good example

This prejudice against supernatural belief is so extreme that even someone as observant as Glokta finds it hard to believe in Eaters, or magic, or the Other Side even after having received convincing proof.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

My impression is that religious belief is non-existent among the native inhabitants of the Union.  Religion is for "primitives" like the Gurkish and Dagoskans. Magic can be explained as science, but religion might create a caste of priests who might vie for power with the secular Inquisition.

I agree with your impression of religion in the Union being practically nonexistent. I also concede there is a snobbery with how unionists discuss religion. At the very least by the society’s upper-caste. I’m just saying I don’t really fault Unionists for in general  not really accepting that the world has supernatural elements. Well at least pre-Bayaz return. I mean his continued  existence in it it of self seems supernatural.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

This prejudice against supernatural belief is so extreme that even someone as observant as Glokta finds it hard to believe in Eaters, or magic, or the Other Side even after having received convincing proof.

I would say he was more struggling to disbelieve. Even as Bayaz took him, Jezal, and Logen he secretly hoped that Bayaz would let up. 

On 4/2/2019 at 11:30 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I was never a fan of the Logen is insane theory. It kinda takes away the complexity of his character, and responsibility, he is sane, it’s just that he’s evil.

"It ain't ever as simple, is it, as a man is just good or bad? Not even you. Not even Bethod. Not anybody." - Caul Shivers to Logen, LOAK, The Fourth Day.

Archived