World of Ice and Fire - confirmations

OK, I should know this - maybe I did but have forgotten as I left the aSoIaF for a bit with no new books or shows.

What are Elio and Linda (the proprietors of this wonderful board) talking about in this Radio Westeros pod at 14:30 and following?

https://radiowesteros.com/2014/08/25/episode-04-a-worldcon-of-ice-fire/

What was confirmed in the book the World of Ice and Fire?

10 hours ago, Jô Maltese said:

Aw boo. I thought that was a far better theory than Aerys being Tyrion’s father. Cersei and Jaime’s interactions with Aerys become all the more disturbing and dark if he was their biological father. Not to mention the point that Tyrion truly is Tywin’s son, not Jaime.

The timeline didn't quite work, not as well as Tyrion. Plus, Tyrion desperately trying to be more like a father who isn't his could be tragic, but Tywin is a far better father than Aerys anyway, so I don't think it has much punch.

Now, one thing I have been thinking about Tyrion's arc since I re-read his first chapter a few weeks ago, is him killing or being responsible for the death of the last dragon. If he then learns he was actually of Targaryen blood, it could make it more tragic. And add his comment to Jon to assume his bastardy. I don't think Tyrion would assume it as easily as he suggested Jon should.

I believe Tyrion doesn't die and inherits Casterly Rock, but loses everyone he loves in the process, through fAegon. I could see fAegon and his propaganda team say "Hey, actually, you're family.", especially since he can be claimed to be responsible for evil Joffrey and Tywin's death, probably Kevan and maybe even Cersei's, and they give him Casterly Rock.

The lyrics of the Rains of Castamere sound like Tyrion speaking, figuratively, to Tywin, after everything is over.

And who are you, the proud lord said,
That I must bow so low? <- Tywin speaking
Only a cat of a different coat,
That's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
A lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
As long and sharp as yours. <- All Tyrion, replying.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
That lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
With no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
And not a soul to hear. <- Inherited Casterly Rock, but lost everyone he loved.

13 hours ago, Jô Maltese said:

That A+J = C + J is false.

Really? How did they come to that conclusion?

It has been reliably reported, however, that King Aerys took unwonted liberties with Lady Joanna's person during her bedding ceremony, to Tywin's displeasure. Not long thereafter, Queen Rhaella dismissed Joanna Lannister from her service. No reason for this was ever given, but Lady Joanna departed at once for Casterly Rock and seldom visited King's Landing thereafter.

TWOIAF

"Seldom visited" does not equal "Never"

Jaime & Cersei were born in 266 AC. Their conception would be ~265 AC.

Where would Joanna & Tywin conceive the twins in 265 AC? At Casterly Rock? Or in King's Landing?

Is there a passage that suggested Tywin was in Casterly Rock in 265 AC?

I'm pretty sure he was still the Hand in King's Landing in 265 AC ... requiring Joanna to be in King's Landing in 265 AC.

After that, anything can happen.

We also have this little detail about Aerys in 265 AC:

His Grace was full of grand schemes as well. Not long after his coronation, he announced his intent to conquer the Stepstones and make them a part of his realm for all time. In 264 AC, a visit to King's Landing by Lord Rickard Stark of Winterfell awakened his interest in the North, and he hatched a plan to build a new Wall a hundred leagues north of the existing one and claim all the lands between. In 265 AC, offended by "the stink of King's Landing," he spoke of building a "white city" entirely of marble on the south bank of the Blackwater Rush. In 267 AC, after a dispute with the Iron Bank of Braavos regarding certain monies borrowed by his father, he announced that he would build the largest war fleet in the history of the world "to bring the Titan to his knees." In 270 AC, during a visit to Sunspear, he told the Princess of Dorne that he would "make the Dornish deserts bloom" by digging a great underground canal beneath the mountains to bring water down from the rainwood.

TWOIAF

Hmmmmm ... "the stink" can be corrected with a better sewerage system ... like the one in Ancient Rome, a city with white marble architecture ... a city founded by twins Romulus & Remus .... hmmmmmmm.

Perhaps there is a secret passage from the Tower of the Hand to a brothel, where Tywin can secretly meet up his wife Joanna (like Ned & Cat did in AGOT) ... and then maybe Aerys finds out that Joanna is in town from his spies? Who knows.

Anyways I have a pet theory (R+L=J&M) for years that had one major hole in it. Never in my imagination that the hole in my theory would be addressed in 2018 Fire & Blood Part 1. And GRRM did it in a sneaky way, by giving hope to A + J = Tyrion fans.

So let's wait for Fire & Blood Part 2, see if GRRM gives us anything juicy and sneaky about Tywin, Aerys, Joanna and King's Landing in the year 265 AC.

Archived