Way too many side characters?

Nerevanin

12 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Yes, it's a pity. They should have made 10 episodes of the last season and taken more time for subtleties. The reunions were pretty hastened and I'd like to enjoy them in more details.

yeah the reunions were pretty awful, I think DnD think the general fan loves the show for the fight scenes,dragons spectacles when I believe its actually the interactions/twists/plotting stuff that gripped people more, the reunions should have had a 2 episode to really build up the closeness between the reunited rather than just a hey I missed you. yeah me too now lets go fight....

23 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

its actually the interactions/twists/plotting stuff that gripped people more, the reunions should have had a 2 episode to really build up

Absolutely, yes. I love the depth, the intrigues, the complexity of characters. But yes, also like the twists, the ruthlessness, the emotions, violence, sex, provocation...

1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

Absolutely, yes. I love the depth, the intrigues, the complexity of characters. The twists, the ruthlessness, the emotions, violence, sex, provocation...

yup its this that separated it from other shows, the depth of the characters, the interactions, the clever word and mind play, the twists, the deceit etc.... it was so clever and for the past few seasons mainly due to not having the source material anymore i'd imagine and shifting to war mode... it's like a dumbed down version of what was once an intelligent show... I still love it but god I miss the kings landing lannisters scenes with other houses crossing paths and bitching.

13 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

it's like a dumbed down version of what was once an intelligent show..

Yes, I call it "mainstreamed version", it is not only dumbed-down, but also less provocative, less daring, less inventive. I miss GRRM ideas quite a lot.

On the other hand, there have been times where DD could produce really good scenes that were not in the books, e.g. I liked the Tywin/Arya dialogues quite a lot. 

3 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Yes, I call it "mainstreamed version", it is not only dumbed-down, but also less provocative, less daring, less inventive. I miss GRRM ideas quite a lot.

On the other hand, there have been times where DD could produce really good scenes that were not in the books, e.g. I liked the Tywin/Arya dialogues quite a lot. 

Yes and I get the feeling when Arya and Tywin met GRRM was more involved back then, where as now I think he just gives them a general plot and the dialogue is all down to the shows writers and it shows.

2 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

GRRM was more involved back then, where as now I think he just gives them a general plot

Yes, maybe. GRRM just has more phantasy and more wit to write good dialogue, I am afraid.

Even if they kill off a whole bunch of characters during the Battle of Winterfell, that doesn’t mean that we’ll never see those actors playing those characters. Imagine the impact on the survivors of seeing their beloved dead raised as wights to turn and attack them.

Archived