Lady Hornwood's last meal? Me thinks not...

Russellstiltskin

So I am not self-absorbed enough (nor am I conceited to the extent necessary) to think this hasn't been discussed ad nauseum, however I don't  recall a topic unto the subject, what's more my take doesn't  seem to be a generally accepted "fact" by the aSoIaF fandom...Hitherto and thusly, I digress unto my point:

Not terribly complicated, I am simply curious if anyone agrees that following Ramsey's apparent abduction of Lady Hornwood, a forced elopement of sorts, we hear of Lady Hornwood's descent into starvation and madness as Ramsey (can't quite recall if nuptials were said to have taken place) forcibly weds her and pressures her to sign over her lands, which are adjacent to Bolton lands. His cruelty allegedly leads to her eating her fingers...

But a year or so ago, during a reread, it occurred to me that given what we know about Theon's time with the Bastard of Bolton, isn't more likely her fingers were simply flayed by the sick fucker? At the time of first read, we readers, as well as the general populace of the North, have not been introduced to Ramsey's depradations, so it is easy to gloss over the initial idea that her fingers were chewed off as she went mad from greiving her late husband and hunger, as well as her isolation. In retrospect, it seems almost obvious though, that her fingers were most likely flayed, one at a time. Uggh. Disturbing. 

Thoughts?

Yes, I believe you are right. Probably resisting Ramsay in his intention to take over the Hornwood lands she was probably tortured and flayed. Leading to her eating her fingers. 
A better story to be told when people asked/saw Lady Hornwoods body and her fingers. 

For sure. After reading about Reek's experiences, I think this jumps out on a re-read as the most likely explanation. I think Reek specifically talks about gnawing on his fingers to relieve the pain.

That turned my breakfast sort of sour...

But I guess you're right, it makes sense. And here I thought I couldn't hate Ramsay more than I already do! We need TWOW ASAP, to see the comeuppance!

Archived