Cycling - 2022 the remco show

BigFatCoward

On 8/25/2022 at 3:45 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Total guesswork but I'll say

1. Roglic 2. Yates 3. Carapaz

Nice one :P

Evenepoel clearly in massive form. As visible in San Sebastian.

We will see if he can do it for 3 weeks for the first time, that has not yet happened.

But this was a real tour de force yesterday.

What a huge pack if riders together as well on that climb, 3 guys from Ineos and all the other contenders except for Mas and the surprising 19 year old supertalent Juan Ayuso.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So Pogacar has won Flanders at his second attempt. Hell of a race with some big crashes. The rider from Bahrain rightly DQd after taking down most of the peloton. Jumbo have dominated the lesser classics but Flanders, milan-san remo and strade Bianchi have gone to other teams.

Roubaix next week should be great. A lot of teams look ready to try things to hold back MVDP and WVA who are probably the hot favoutites

Thats 3 of the 5 monuments. If he had timed his attacks on the poggio better the last 2 years he might have San remo also. I hope he does try Roubaix in a few years. 

I still worry about his riding style reducing his chances at TdF. Vingegaard is slowly fine tuning, and was a proper monster last year. Pog seems to go hell for leather in every race and it may come back to bite him again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic win for Van der Poel in Roubaix!

And that after already winning San Remo in what was by far the best acceleration up the Poggio that we have seen in many years ( and was in fact a record speed climb by him) and just missing out on the Tour de Flanders ( which was phenomenal) finishing 2nd behind the Pogacar.

Van der Poel is actually the better rider, thats why he wins more when it matters, on the road and in cyclocross.

Especially when its 1;1, he is the better rider. He almost won 3 major classics in a row here. Van Aert has yet to win anything other than the bunch sprint he won in San Remo a few years ago as far as the classics are concerned.

He's won many classics, you mean monuments. He is also the first person ever to win tt, mtf and sprint in single tour. And the green Jersey which MvDP could never win. He also has won week long stage races and is the finest domestic possibly in history in grand tours.  If you only care about monuments you can say he's better. 

No I care about everything. All the duels between them, in which MvP is a clear statistical leader as well as eye test leader.

I care about Tour stages, which they have both won and which is ongoing, MvP says the Tour stages are a goal for him this year.

Thoroughly disagree with your strange idea that MvP could never win a green jersey, that is bizarre considering the previous Green jersey winners, many of which are much worse uphill than MvP. Its simply not something he's been interested in during a Tour since he wants to win stages that are like classics.

I am not just talking about monuments. Yes MvP has won a lot more monuments now but he also wins classics in general and has shown to be the better rider in the classics. And considering these 2 guys are mainly classic riders...that is what matters the most in any comparison.

MvP also leads 5 to 3 in the Cyclocross World Championships which is were both of these guys hail from and where I watched them since the start of their awesome careers. MvP has also performed better in the road racing world championships than van Aert.

Only thing that Van Aert has done that MvP hasnt is be a great domestique in the Tour and win a great mountain stage. For which he deserves credit, but I think the overall picture is quite clear and quite the opposite of what you suggested. 

Pogacar making everyone look like amateurs again at Amstel gold. He's doing fleche wallonne and Liege as well with no Evenepoel, WVA, Roglic, Alaphilippe and MVDP only riding Liege it's hard to see who is going to stop him. Hopefully his form being so good at this time of the season won't hurt him at the tour like it did last year

6 hours ago, lmanion said:

Pogacar making everyone look like amateurs again at Amstel gold. He's doing fleche wallonne and Liege as well with no Evenepoel, WVA, Roglic, Alaphilippe and MVDP only riding Liege it's hard to see who is going to stop him. Hopefully his form being so good at this time of the season won't hurt him at the tour like it did last year

Remco is doing Liege, and being fully rested should be the main rival (hopefully for years to come). 

Oh that's good then I had seen somewhere he was missing it because of the giro but that makes Liege look even better with those 3 guys and Remco doesn't really do many of the same races. Definately going to be having a really late night/early morning for that one.

He was taking a week or so off anyway by all reports. His training will just be indoors for a bit I suppose. Shame was really looking forward to a big showdown. Can't wait till we get a big one day race or grand tour with Pogacar, Evenepoel and Vigegaard all going at each other.

Remco looked great hopefully there is a good competition between him and Roglic at the Giro, they seem to be the top 2 favourites by some margin. Someone else might lift to that level but I can't see it happening. After the Vuelta I think Remco will have learnt some big lessons to take forward into other grand tours and his team is stronger support this year.

Archived