SPOILERS - Mark Lawrence Books - SPOILERS for all his books (including Library Trilogy)

unJon

Didn't read either of your two posts.  I finished up the book I was reading yesterday and was able to start in on GatM.  Lawrence's books are generally a pretty quick read for me, so I should be able to join in discussion soon(ish)!

2 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:
  Hide contents

Who were the witches in the scene before the water comes out of the gate? Haven't been able to figure that one out. . .

Refusing spoilers. 

I thought maybe some quantals that had lost their mind and used to be priests in the mountain. But not sure. They fit very closely to the Greek mythology theme that rain throughout the book: they were the Three Fates. 

Still haven't read your guys' comments... I'm halfway through and Yaz and Crew just accomplished what I would have assumed was the climax of the book pre release!  :lol: 

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Still haven't read your guys' comments... I'm halfway through and Yaz and Crew just accomplished what I would have assumed was the climax of the book pre release!  :lol: 

Exactly! It’s like two books published together. 

You are right that it felt like two books pressed together.  The book kicked off with dead on action building straight to the holothaur fight and it made me at one point even reflect that there was no building time like I would expect.  The building and "travelogue" portion actually came in Act 2 of the book!  :lol: 

Its interesting, he really seems to be going back to the model of the Red Queen's War.  Setting another book at a "contemporary" time frame to the original series with presumably a climax to the trilogy that is only a climax insofar as it allows the climax of the first trilogy to occur unbeknownst to the original protagonists.  :dunno:   I really liked RQW, but the ending felt somewhat meaningless knowing that Jorg was the one who really did something and that he had already done it.  I can't really see any way around this series finishing at least similarly.

That said, Lawrence has me every time.  I love that he's building a large interconnected world and its really amazing to me that the random post that I think we mentioned in this thread earlier (or was it another one?) really seems to have pegged it where it all ties together.  

The reveal at the end really did shock me.  I know that Eular alternates sleeping and interacting over the centuries (much like the original Taproot) but I would not have expected him to be there at the convent too.  Seems a lot of traveling and not much time for sleeping!  It also opens up a lot of questions about how much of the planning was truly the Hidden God/Holothaur and how much was Seus and Eular was just letting HG think he was in control.  :dunno: 

Even though I fear the conclusion may be a bit of a predetermined let down, I am excited to read how we get there.  Which really is pretty much how I see RQW.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how much traveling Eular has to do. I assume he has access to some Hayes Gates. 

I just reread the Thorns series. Held up better than I expected. King of Thorns still my favorite. Emperor was not as much of a letdown for me as it was the first read. 

I find it amusing that Taproot is the character who’s “data echo” has made it to the stars. I wonder what became of Fexlar Brewes. 

Just saw this on Reddit and I realized why I believed we had seen the three witches before:

I think Mark is setting up for a story or series around Theus.

He began the Girl and the Stars with a prologue about some parents in the northern ice seeking a prophecy about their baby. The initial priestess died when handling the infant, so they sought out a witch. The whole thing ended with the prophecy being "Greatness and torment. And fire." The witch was named Agatta.

In the middle of the Girl and the Mountain, the witch sisters that Thurin meets keep referencing the name Agatta to answer Thurin's questions. I just thought this was an interesting connection - the witch is possibly split in three personas now to align with the three fates in the new Greek mythology the city minds are setting up.

Fast forward towards the end of the Girl and the Mountain, and Theus is monologuing. He specifically states in his rant "I was always more bad than good in the eyes of my peers. A northern savage from a cult that rejected technology. When I was reborn my parents took me to a witch for prophecy. Did you know that?"

It's clear now that the prologue was about Theus.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 5:23 PM, unJon said:

That’s some good crack pot right there. 

Yeah, I had said somewhere in this thread (I think) that I wondered if we could see Jorg as a data echo, but to suggest he was reincarnated and now is a central figure is definitely a step beyond that!

21 hours ago, mix_masta_micah said:

It does but how would that jive with Agatta/Theus prologue? 

Well that’s a good point. I guess we would need some tech that can drop data echoes into babies. And that tech would have had to have been used by the anti-tech tribe that birthed Prometheus. Hmmm

20 hours ago, unJon said:

Well that’s a good point. I guess we would need some tech that can drop data echoes into babies. And that tech would have had to have been used by the anti-tech tribe that birthed Prometheus. Hmmm

Hey guys, I'm Azecap who made the discussion post on Reddit that was linked here. I randomly stumbled upon this thread when searching for others discussing the books and just wanted to address this post.

We know from Taproot that The Missing brought many "Ancients" to Abeth and reincarnated them in new babies for many generations, so the tech is definitely there. The weird part is that the anti-tech tribe used this tech, but we already have confirmation directly from Theus that this is what happened. He tells Haydies (p 340 if I recall correctly) that he is an ancient who was reborn on Abeth, but that he has seen the source (extremely likely the source of humankind = Earth) and breathed its air. If we can trust Theus to not just be bluffing, this means we are dealing with a morally grey character who has lived on Earth and has a data echo. Not hard evidence of Jorg, but definitely possible.