Potential and unknown Targaryens.

DaenerysTheDragon

2 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Even if their children had not been royal, I guess they would have been around at court, so while it is possible they survived, I do not think so. What would they be good for?

There is something going on there with Jenny and who and what she was. If there were children they could be connected to the Isle of Faces plot we can expect in future books. It is noteworthy that we got nothing on their marriage nor a confirmation that the marriage was childless. If there were children to be burned at Summerhall, then they could have been mentioned ... like we got Daeron the Gay as a loose end. But there was nothing on Duncan/Jenny or hypothetical children.

This Lady Penrose thing is really vexing. I assume Aelinor was of an age with Aerys, born around 170/175 AC. If Ronnel was her father, he might have been born around 150/155 AC (Laena Velaryon, born in 134 AC, as his mother would fit well then). A son of Ronnel could have been born around 167 AC. A son of that son around 183 AC. These sons Fireball slew what have been quite young then. Besides that, these calculations depend on the earliest option each time, so not sure it works.

Sure, this is a problem. I guess it will turn out that the Lady Penrose turns out to be the wife of Ronnel's brother or cousin. But if George wanted to portray as a slayer of youths then it could very well be grandsons of Ronnel's who are slain.

I expect Ronnel to grow up at court with Daeron II, so he would be born indeed in the early 150s, being somewhat older than Daeron. If he is Alyn/Baela's first grandson, one would expect them to bring him to court to grow up there with the royal children there.

Thinking about that, with Elaena only born in 150 AC there should be some serious explanation why she wasn't betrothed to Daeron II. That would have been one of the natural matches if it hadn't come to the Dornish betrothal later (in absence of a sister).

Another possibility would be a younger brother of Ronnel who died before the rebellion and whose sons were killed by Fireball. Jon Penrose might have been the youngest son who was spared.

That would make sense ... also help explain why Jon Penrose doesn't hang out with his royal kin so much.

I admit I was a bit cynical there, but thirteen children and four living grandchildren for Jaehaerys and Alysanne was a bit of a disappointment.

Yeah. Thinking about the early reign of Jaehaerys I quite a little bit in the last couple of weeks, there should have been at least one child with children of his/her own ... or Baelon and Aemon should have had more children (Aegon living, Rhaenys with a younger sister). Some bastards would have also been nice.

The most vexing thing there is that no Targaryen ended with Boremund Baratheon. He was the king's half-brother, the natural choice for one of his daughters.

Sure, but in that case it was rather a manuscript version versus a finished edition. Now we have the finished version of a first volume where Gyldayn states "If indeed there ever lived a Sara Snow". It would be really weird if Gyldayn wrote about actual events including Sara in the second volume, when he was not sure about her existance in the first one. GRRM could do this indeed, but it would mean a retcon.

Oh, there would be ways around that, say, by some Snow showing up who is called a nephew of Cregan Stark whose parents are unknown to Gyldayn.

2 hours ago, ShimShim said:

Moon Boy is a secret Targ. He is just biding his time, pretending to be a fool.

No. Patchface. It is known. 

49 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

the Tattered Prince:

... is Rodrik Stark the Wandering Wolf 

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

is Rodrik Stark the Wandering Wolf 

You are aware that with Rodrik's father Beron dying in the 210ies, the Tattered Prince is more than 20 years younger than any child of Beron?

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Oh, there would be ways around that, say, by some Snow showing up who is called a nephew of Cregan Stark whose parents are unknown to Gyldayn.

Ahh, I see. That might be a possibility. I still think it was just one of Mushroom's bullshit stories (the book is full of them) and is not likely to come up again, though.

6 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Ahh, I see. That might be a possibility. I still think it was just one of Mushroom's bullshit stories (the book is full of them) and is not likely to come up again, though.

Of course, I don't buy the entire story. But Sara came up further up in the thread and I just wanted to suggest how a child of hers could end up in FaB II if the author was inclined to pursue that plot.

I don't think he will since we will have another rather prominent Targaryen child of unclear legitimacy in Alys Rivers' nameless son in FaB II. But then, there could be a story where Sara Snow's child serves as a foil or parallel/contrast to Alys' son. The good and the bad bastard. Something like that. Or not.

Archived