Davos' Learning to Read and Write Just Might Save Manderly

Lady Blooms

Like some in the fandom, I have a secret place in my heart for Lord-Too-Fat-to-Sit a Horse -- outwitting the Freys by not killing Davos, the Frey Pies, sending for Rickon and, most importantly, his speech to Davos showing his loyalty to the North and to the Starks.  Also, shout out to his rampant roasting of the Frey's at Winterfell during fake Arya's wedding ceremonies.

As Frey and Manderly troops are riding out to fight Stannis at the Crofter's Village, there is some worry that Stannis will not know of Manderly's true allegiance (to Stark and, by his commitment to Davos, to King Stannis as long as Davos retrieves his liege lord Rickon).  Clearly, at the start of TWOW, Stannis will still be unaware that Manderly is not sided with the Bolton's:

“Wyman Manderly.” The king’s mouth twisted in contempt. “Lord Too-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse. Too fat to come to me, yet he comes to Winterfell. Too fat to bend the knee and swear me his sword, yet now he wields that sword for Bolton. I sent my Onion Lord to treat with him, and Lord Too-Fat butchered him and mounted his head and hands on the walls of White Harbor for the Freys to gloat over. And the Freys… has the Red Wedding been forgotten?” (Theon 1, TWOW)

In the middle of the fight, or possibly after, how will Stannis know or be convinced that Manderly's men are to be trusted?

Obviously, if as many believe Manderly's men hang back at the beginning on the fight or even turn on the Frey men (or attack from the rear as the Frey troops are attempting to flee), that may go a long way to convincing Stannis of their allegiance.  However, one other key factor -- Davos' new ability to read and write -- may be integral to convincing Stannis that the Manderly forces can be trusted.  Davos' decision to learn to read and write was integral to the story line before, when he read the letter from the Wall and communicated it to Stannis, thereby chancing the entire trajectory of Stannis's kingship.  Perhaps GRRM will use this plot information that Davos is now literate again -- a letter from Davos, in his own hand and possibly sealed with the Hand of the King seal, will tell Stannis of Manderly's actions, enabling Stannis to fully trust the Manderly's and, potentially through Manderly, other Northern lords as well.

When Davos first met with Manderly, he has with him a ribbon bearing three the seals, the Stag of Baratheon, a Flaming Heart and a Hand.  It is not clear whether the ribbon is only a wax seal with the imprints or the seal itself (the stamp used to make the seal).  However, given that Davos is the Hand of the King and may need to communicate with Stannis about his progress, it is possible that Davos has at least the Hand stamp with him.  I was not able to find evidence that Stannis had ever seen Davos's handwriting, but perhaps a better detective-reader will find some.

Lord Manderly may be too fat to sit a horse, but he does seem to be a fairly adept player of the game of politics -- he was able to get his son back from the Lannisters', keeping Davos secretly as hostage until the son was back.  He was able to trick the Frey's and the Lannister's about Davos's supposed death.  I feel that he would know that a letter from Davos, in his hand and signed with is seal, would be needed to convince Stannis that (1) he hadn't killed his Hand and (2) he was willing to side with Stannis against the Bolton's and the Lannisters.  Knowing the poop is about to hit the fan, both at Winterfell and the Crofter Village, I could envision thinking "Ok, need to make sure I can get this letter into Stannis's hands, I'm sending it with Manderly troops with instructions to turn on the Frey's if the circumstances present it and use the letter to prove to Stannis of our allegiance.  

What do you all think?

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's actually pretty likely things play out this way. Like you said, Lord Manderly is a savvy player. It is doubtful he would simply trust Stannis not to savage his men unless they were carrying some sort of proof they were on Stannis's side. It would have to be proof that Davos is alive. And we know he was allowed to write a letter to his wife, so why not one to Stannis?

On 7/9/2021 at 2:12 PM, Nathan Stark said:

I think it's actually pretty likely things play out this way. Like you said, Lord Manderly is a savvy player. It is doubtful he would simply trust Stannis not to savage his men unless they were carrying some sort of proof they were on Stannis's side. It would have to be proof that Davos is alive. And we know he was allowed to write a letter to his wife, so why not one to Stannis?

I forgot about the letter to his wife. Good addition!

Archived