What Would be the Effects of a Daenerys-Stannis Marriage?

Corvo the Crow

On 10/24/2022 at 5:55 AM, Ring3r said:

Pretty sure he'd frown on her getting frisky with her bedmaids.  Apart from that, she's infertile and he's a prude.  I don't see it going over very well with either of them.

Why would he care what she does with bedmaids, shes not going to get pregnant that way and thats the only thing of importance

Stany and Dannis would be a better couple than they're getting credit for.  They're both open to the mystical/ magical so when Stannis says 'the red woman stays' Dany will answer 'of course she does'. They're both hellbent on their claims so if each could somehow convince the other of the power of their co-claim they would each become the other's staunchest ally. Neither brook treason but both have had to compromise with treasonous subjects so when Dany moans about Mereen Stannis can run a hand through her hair and say 'there there, let me tell you about the Karstarks and all of these useless lords of mine that used to be Renley's". Troubles in the bedroom? "Yes Stanny, Shireen ain't much to look at, but you should have seen the baby I had out in the wastes" and they could commiserate on their ugly babies (hm, isn't 'ugly baby' actually a blessing or good luck appeal or something somewhere? These two are blessed).

I dunno there could be a real foundation there for something special.

20 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Mel can ask her to sacrifice herself. She has kingsblood, after all.

How much does she value her own life if she's willing to do that though? The sacrifice is supposed to be a sacrifice. If she is willing to sacrifice herself, she can't think her own life is that valuable, so she wouldn't make a good sacrifice...Unless it is not a voluntary sacrifice, but then...

Just now, Corvo the Crow said:

But she really did sacrifice herself, it’s just that she somehow survived, cuz, Georgus Vult.

I don't know. I think death is a pretty integral part of human sacrifice. And I think the rule that the more valuable/hard to sacrifice the thing is, the better the sacrifice, means that self-sacrifice would have to be less effective. Because if you are willing to give up your own life you probably value it less than someone who isn't. So a voluntary sacrifice should have less of an effect than in involuntary one, going by the in-world logic. Unless this is another case of the books not following their own established logic.

2 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

So you’re saying that Nissa Nissa’s sacrifice was worth less than of the lion’s?

I thought that Nissa Nissa wasn't sacrificed voluntarily though. Also it is established that human sacrifice is worth more than animal sacrifice. An animal can't really be sacrificed voluntarily or involuntarily because they don't have the capacity to make the choice..

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

I thought that Nissa Nissa wasn't sacrificed voluntarily though. Also it is established that human sacrifice is worth more than animal sacrifice.

A hundred days and a hundred nights he labored on the third blade, and as it glowed white-hot in the sacred fires, he summoned his wife. 'Nissa Nissa,' he said to her, for that was her name, 'bare your breast, and know that I love you best of all that is in this world.' She did this thing, why I cannot say, and Azor Ahai thrust the smoking sword through her living heart. It is said that her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon, but her blood and her soul and her strength and her courage all went into the steel. Such is the tale of the forging of Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes.

5 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

'Nissa Nissa,' he said to her, for that was her name, 'bare your breast, and know that I love you best of all that is in this world.'

Hmm...To be fair, he didn't explicitly tell her what was coming.

6 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

cry of anguish

This also implies she can't have been that happy with what went on.

Another issue is that I don't believe either Stannis or Melisandre value Selyse as much as Azor valued Nissa...

And what about her cry of ecstasy?

Pleasure and pain are two sides of the same coin?

Her husband has sacrificed a lion 3 months back and failed for the second time. 

That doesn't mean that she would automatically know she was the next target. If she was so ready why wasn't she bearing her breast of her own accord?

Archived