Is Jon Snow another Jaime Lannister?

On 3/2/2023 at 6:11 PM, kissdbyfire said:

In your opinion. In mine, not sending whoever you have available to save anyone from a known torturer, murderer, rapist and flayer is what is not only egregious but disgusting and cowardly. 

I agree. I really do.

It was the right thing to do.

That being said, it is still a violation of Jon's oath. And the fact that he had sent Mance Rayder of all people (thereby making Jon complicit in Mance Rayder's fake execution) makes it look even worse

9 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

I agree. I really do.

It was the right thing to do.

That being said, it is still a violation of Jon's oath. And the fact that he had sent Mance Rayder of all people (thereby making Jon complicit in Mance Rayder's fake execution) makes it look even worse

I happen to think the spirit of the oaths and people’s actions matter more than the letter of the oaths and people’s words. Words are wind indeed. Just ask ser Barry about the regrets he has for being so dutiful and sticking to his oath no matter what. 
And w/ Jon, the spirit of the oath he’s trying to fulfill is to protect the realms of men
In regards to Mance, he sent him to intercept a girl in grey fleeing from a marriage [to a flaying, raping murderer], a girl he expected Mance to find somewhere near Long Lake. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

And w/ Jon, the spirit of the oath he’s trying to fulfill is to protect the realms of men

This is exactly it: wildlings are men and he has to protect them; there's nothing in his vows about protecting the realm from wildlings, it's from the cold and the dark (in other words, specifically the Others). As to the question: Had the people of King's Landing known that Jaime had saved them, he would have been much more admired and respected. Jon is getting that recognition from the Wildlings: they know he is responsible for helping to save them. I think, at the end of the day, history won't remember either of them as highly significant or admirable. The Kingslayer will be a footnote to a war that Aerys was already going to lose, and Jon's deeds might live on but his name probably won't. 

Archived