Harrenhal - What's it all about?

Hippocras

I thought I was clear. Of course it has huge significance. It is called the God's Eye and it is giant grove of the mystical, immortal semi-sentient trees that humans and other species have worshipped and sacrificed to for aeons. It is central geographically and in the mythology of the series. And so is Harrenhal, as it is the most seen location beside King's Landing and probably the Wall. 

And yet people, with very few notable exceptions, act as if the God's Eye is not even here. That is the clue about how they act. They/it influence minds in one level or another. 

On 6/2/2023 at 7:22 PM, The Sleeper said:

I thought I was clear. Of course it has huge significance. It is called the God's Eye and it is giant grove of the mystical, immortal semi-sentient trees that humans and other species have worshipped and sacrificed to for aeons. It is central geographically and in the mythology of the series. And so is Harrenhal, as it is the most seen location beside King's Landing and probably the Wall. 

And yet people, with very few notable exceptions, act as if the God's Eye is not even here. That is the clue about how they act. They/it influence minds in one level or another. 

Ok, well I am bored. Still hoping people will look deeper, and, you, know, more specific.

Surely, if you have a theory, then you can point to some kind of specific example in either the main series or the histories, where the Isle of Faces, or Harrenhal influenced or was influenced by things that will be relevant to the conclusion of the series?

Rhaegar wasn’t defeated by the mystery knight. Unless you mean his tracking her down and deciding she was The One ended up costing his life, but there are a ton of waystations between the Tourney and the Trident. 

What defeated Rhaegar was a spider, or namely the spider Varys, whose whispers of treason inspired Aerys to leave the Red Keep for the first time since Duskendake, and attend the Tourney. That threw an unexpected wrench into the works, and imo was the moment where Rhaegar decided to stop worrying about secondary issues and concentrate on the true purpose of his life, Child and Father of prophecy. 

Edited by James Arryn

On 5/30/2023 at 5:13 PM, Hippocras said:

I would appreciate people's thoughts on Harrenhal. Why everything turns to shit there (tourney the smiles died, plot against King Robb hatched there, major dragon battles, etc.). There is of course the supposed curse, but beyond that Harrenhal has deeper corrupting significance throughout its history and I could do with an exhaustive list of examples of this as well as people's theories on what role it will play in what remains of the series.

I've had this personally theory that Harrenhal can only be held by Kings, or at least the lineage of Kings.

That's why every house that has been given Harrenhal dies out.

Bran will most likely make Harrenhal his seat and new Capital once he is chosen as King, partly due to its proximity to the god's eye.

6 hours ago, maesternewton said:

I've had this personally theory that Harrenhal can only be held by Kings, or at least the lineage of Kings.

That's why every house that has been given Harrenhal dies out.

Bran will most likely make Harrenhal his seat and new Capital once he is chosen as King, partly due to its proximity to the god's eye.

Interesting! Now we are getting somewhere.

I would point out though that the whole "houses dying out" thing seems slightly overblown. House names are simply a matter of males: fathers passing their names to sons. If the supposed curse applies to the women as well then all of the Stark children are doomed, since they descend from House Whent. And I don't think they are doomed. I also think it very likely that, given the infamous behaviour of Garon the Guest and the very close proximity of Lord Harroway's Town to Harrenhal, House Harroway of Harrenhal descended from House Qoherys, but through the females, which is why they were given the castle after Garon died. Also, it is possible that Jace, Rhaenyra's son who was almost certainly fathered by Harwin Strong, had a child with Sara Snow, so might have passed on the Strong lineage, as of course did Lucamore's many children. Alys Rivers may have descended from him, who knows? In any case she was said to have been the bastard of Lord Strong but noone said WHICH Lord Strong.

We know the story of House Towers, but it is not only them; it is interesting just how consistently Harrenhal went to masters-of-arms or Kingsguard-associated characters, and also how consistently people associated with Harrenhal turned to the dark arts. Roose Bolton was investigating some of the contents of Harrenhal's library when he was there, and we also know that library contained interesting dark arts related texts, so maybe we will learn more about Harrenhal via Roose's actions. Either that or a POV character will come into contact with that library.

With that dark arts thread in mind, it is intriguing how much of the magicky stuff that is happening in the series is happening in the Riverlands, if not right beside Harrenhal. First Beric Dondarion of course. The Elder Brother "died" on the Trident but was revived on the Quiet Isle, and then seems to have acquired potent healing magic. Qyburn is more sinister, but clearly using dark arts on the Mountain (who then took the name Strong), and we first met that character at Harrenhal. Qohor is called the city of sorcerers and associated with the dark arts and the skill of reforging Valyrian steel. House Qoherys seems to be a name directly derived from Qoherys so they probably originated there. As did Vargo Hoat.  House Lothston's extinction was associated in some way with the dark arts.

I can't quite decide if Bran becoming King is one of the things the show got right. The series basically started with him, so maybe. Still, I think different endings are possible. If he does, I do find your proposal intriguing, but also wonder how the sinister aspect of Harrenhal would not sour his reign.